DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An easy way to hand land M2P drone

giebe

Reactions
Hey everyone, while ago I asked for help and advices regarding to hand-landing and received a lot of nice advices and video links. In a meantime I developed my own, easy way for handlanding for myself I guess might be worth to share with you.
It is based on a deadzone for sensors. So no drone flipping, glapling etc :) .. just pure clean hand landing
Here is the video:
Marry Christmas everyone and big thanks for help
G.

Excellent videos chaps, as a new drone flyer I'm watching anything/everything to try better my skill set.

They dont look agressive but I guess sensors detects hand and increses to rotors power to run away. Feels like you have a lot of practice to do it this way as it looks so natural.
Thanks for sharing :) .. shame I havent seen them before

My approach is a bit more subtle I guess since the drone is not trying to move a way at all.. and if it somehow does.. you just need to repeat it.
When I was talkign about drone grappling I meant those videos when drone operators were hunting their drones and when grabbed flipping them upside down to trigger emergency shut down procedure which usually should happen when the drone hits something
Good gibe, way better than those aggressive "grabs".

Reactions: Gindra
I tried the 90 degree side turn with the M1P last week for the first time, not sure about how fast the motors stop, seems abrupt.
Think I might try the sports mode final landing trick, do a gentle hold and left stick down.
Also might try and find that sweet spot to go in from the front / side and avoid front and bottom sensors, but I guess until perfected it will rise due to sensing the object (hand).

You can flip MP, MP2, MM and the Tello. But they are high risk. Many say its fun. But I think it is always best to choose the safest where you have the maximum control.
Especially when you have many new drone flyers as in the introduction of MM.
The slide method is the one where you have maximum control even in high winds. Try all the methods then choose the one you feel is safest and least stressful for you.

So, if you approach (your hand) from the front, through the Dead Zone and gently grasp the aircraft, the sensors are temporarily disabled.....this is a feature, designed this way to “properly” hand catch.....

Spot on Fred, all DJI drones (Phantom and above excluded) on first release you were unable to do that. After refinement of the software, sensors are disabled at close proximity.
There will be an update soon to the Mavic MIni which will enable this feature given the history of DJI drones.
I have no doubt that this is the safest way to launch and take off with your hand and that DJI built this into their software but they do not say so because it is safer with ground take off and land.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
Many thanks for a VALUABLE bit of information. The only reason I haven’t tried hand catching my M2P is because of the methods I’ve seen of grabbing it and flipping it on it’s side....My little Tello once misbehaved on a hand landing and the little bugger cut my finger and sliced into the fingernail. NO FRIGGAN WAY am I going to try that with my M2P.....but now, with an understanding of how the sensors work and why they work that way, I’m comfortable and confident to learn this technique. Not that it’s a method I’ll use much, but a good skill to have just in case.

I’d much rather know it and not need it, than need it and not know it.

Reactions: John Gowland
I am sure I have seen DJI videos where they feature people hand launching and landing their drones. Just done a search and found one of them. I know there are more.

Goto 1 minute in.

Thanks for sharing this Giebe. I'm going to give your technique a try and practice it so when I need it I'll be able to do it confidently.

Just continue to hold the down stick and let it drop on your open hand which it will do after a pause.
If you turn off the landing protection you won't get the pause and it can be grabbed more firmly, which might be best if it's windy or a dog might jump up for example.

Reactions: Gindra
Yes 4wd but can you do that in the wind? It will be very difficult. I have a clip in ferocious wind and caught it safely and there is no way I could have done it just dropping it. But it is up to you, what you feel comfortable and confident with.

Personally I never use a pad to land and always hand catch. In general all you do is slide your hand under the drone from the rear or front which disables the sensors and then downstick and the drone will simply shutdown. With the spark and MA a 90 degree twist will instantly shut down the motors. The only time I have run into issues doing the was once my MPz decided it should do a RTH as I was catching it and it fought my grasp for a few minutes then finally gave up. The second video was spot on and was explained perfectly.

I discovered this technique a while ago and now use it all the time. it seems like you need to slide your hand under horizontally within about 2 inches or so. If it is much more the sensor will detect and the bird will bounce up.

I discovered this technique a while ago and now use it all the time. it seems like you need to slide your hand under horizontally within about 2 inches or so. If it is much more the sensor will detect and the bird will bounce up.

The technique John has in his video post 2.
Going to try it with the M1P next time I'm practicing something at a local park / oval.

Good gibe, way better than those aggressive "grabs".
But I I still think this is the safest way.
and
Tell me what you think?
Thanks
Awesome videos! A newbie like me certainly appreciates videos like these.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard