DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another drone sighting at Gatwick airport yesterday

I spotted this in a few places on the web (BBC and Sky, then a few Google result for more info) but not on TV and I don't do print any more. Probably because even the initial reporting made it clear this was more likely a non-event and Gatwick might have over reacted a bit in a perhaps understandable over-abundance of caution.

According to the stories I read, firstly, only a *possible* sighting (even by it was a pilot), and secondly it was *outside* the new 5km exclusion zone.

OK, that doesn't rule out a drone, but at 5km out an aircraft is more than likely either on final approach and still at a decent altitude, or is departing and climbing/banking. Neither of which allows much time for drone spotting, let alone positive drone IDing.

I'll give Gatwick the benefit of the doubt and say they got the report, started to react by diverting flights just in case, then realised the location and circumstances meant minimal risk/unlikely to actually be a drone and resumed normal operations. To their credit all this happened in the time it took for only three flights to be diverted, so their ability to correct after a false positive isn't too bad, really.

No surprise that the word "drone" is still a hot topic for the online media though, for good or bad.

Another plastic bag I think... but again this ain’t doing our hobby any good. Always gets blown out of proportion when the “drone” word becomes the main culprit in conversations amongst the wrong people.

Last edited:
Perhaps the media will start using the phrase "non-drone sightings over major airport" , it works for them because it has the word "Drone" in it !

Reactions: RonanCork
A spokesperson for the airport said: “Gatwick investigated a report of an unconfirmed sighting of an object outside the airport’s 5KM exclusion zone today but – following a full assessment – the airport has remained fully operational throughout.”

Reactions: Thomas B
A spokesperson for the airport said: “Gatwick investigated a report of an unconfirmed sighting of an object outside the airport’s 5KM exclusion zone today but – following a full assessment – the airport has remained fully operational throughout.”

That’s good news but I wonder what was said about yesterday’s (Sunday) sighting when three planes got diverted to Stansted airport.

That’s good news but I wonder what was said about yesterday’s (Sunday) sighting when three planes got diverted to Stansted airport.

That *was* in connection with Sunday's diversions. I went from "WTF? Not again!" on reading the headline to "Why are they even reporting... oh, yeah, it's about a drone..." within one paragraph.

I would think that any airport may have drones flying outside the 5km exclusion zone, as this is where people fly drones...
surely it’s a typo and meant to say inside exclusion zone.

I would think that any airport may have drones flying outside the 5km exclusion zone, as this is where people fly drones...
surely it’s a typo and meant to say inside exclusion zone.

It was likely outside, but on one of approaches. At 5 km the landing aircraft are going to be under 1000 ft AGL, so it could still be a problem.

BBC doing its usual nonsense. Headline is "Flights diverted after Gatwick Airport 'drone sighting'"

When you read the actual article the official statement is "Gatwick said it had investigated an "unconfirmed sighting of an object" outside its exclusion zone.""

Utter baseless hysteria.

Like several others it could have been nothing, or could have been a plastic bag or anything else. But the media loves to make it a drone with absolutely no evidence at all.
(and obviously AirProx will put this as a confirmed near miss to up their stats about how dangerous drones are).

Hoping this will be forgotten but like what everyone has said, let’s just hope this has been blown out of proportion, again...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan