DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another mobile device question!

Emsflyer84

Reactions
Hey all, I'm on the waiting list for a new Pro Platinum Fly More Pack. I've only got an iPhone SE which works great, but the screen size leaves a lot to be desired when flying a drone. It's small. Too small. Here's my dilemma: should I pay to upgrade my phone early and pick up an iPhone 8 or 10? Or should I just buy a stand alone device to use for flying?

What do you loose out on when using a tab or phone that doesn't have cell service (internet) except when connected to wifi? Are there parts of the app that don't work? Will the maps update and show correctly?

I've seen lots of discussions on compatibility and size, but not many on the pros and cons of a dedicated device for flying, that wouldn't necessarily have an internet connection while flying. Thanks!

Personally I'd have a dedicated device with minimal apps.

Less load on CPU, less drain on battery, less apps running that could cause a crash and your not going to be interupted by calls.

iPad mini 4 is way to go IMO.

Personally I'd have a dedicated device with minimal apps.

Less load on CPU, less drain on battery, less apps running that could cause a crash and your not going to be interupted by calls.

iPad mini 4 is way to go IMO.

That's what I'm thinking too. I just don't know if there's a benefit to the device having an internet connection or not.

Also, the iPad, do you need to use a special bracket mount? I'm not sure if I like the idea of covering the controller screen with another device.

iPad mini 4 fits straight into the controller, no mount required.

I have the WiFi model and use my mobile as a hotspot.

The cellular model obviously has its own data connection but also GPS built in. It allows you to adjust home point on the fly to location of controller and another tracking feature.

Personally I'm happy with the WiFi model.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78