DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another watery grave, and drone used to assist rescue

I mean... the manual says don't launch from a vessel.

Reactions: AZDave
The way he was holding it looked strange. Why not just take off from the roof of the boat? He said he had done that hundreds of times before. I'm reluctant to take off from a boat myself. The boats here in the Philippines don't have big flat areas to land on. Feel sorry for the guy.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
“They’re not meant to be used this way….” That’s what happened.

I was googling to see if they tried to do the North West Passage this year.
I didn't find much about that, but see he made the news, helping some fellows out. And with his drone...

Seems a bit tricky to provide a link to the translation, so the finnish version is provided too, as some of the pictures and video weren't loading when I previewed.

missing.jpg

Last edited:
never lost one that way, lost many flying from land over water, the good old days. made a drag hook and found one that went down about 20 feet from the bank, the sd card survived, of course the phantom 3 gave up the ghost.

The way he was holding it looked strange. Why not just take off from the roof of the boat? He said he had done that hundreds of times before. I'm reluctant to take off from a boat myself. The boats here in the Philippines don't have big flat areas to land on. Feel sorry for the guy.
Looks like he had a pretty good handle to make it easier to catch coming in. Just seemed like it wasn't up to speed when he let go of it. 1694290367019.png

Reactions: Torque
Looks like he had a pretty good handle to make it easier to catch coming in. Just seemed like it wasn't up to speed when he let go of it.
I think you're on to something there.

The last thing I want to do is second guess this fellow. He could definitely teach me a lot about sailing and boat handling, and probably flying drones, too. But, look at the left control stick just after the moment the drone was released. Is he pressing it with the heel of his hand? Does the stick appear to be pushed full forward? Did you use the auto-takeoff button? Were the motors up to full speed before the release?

Reactions: Torque
I've been enjoying this fellows sailing videos. Unfortunately, his drone rolled over on take-off.

Very interesting video from beginning to end. I do note the dynamics of having a drone and the uniqueness it offers to the story. I think on this type solo sailing I'd definitely invest in a backup drone. The film held my attention the entire time; would love to know where to find them online. Thanks for posting.

The last thing I want to do is second guess this fellow. He could definitely teach me a lot about sailing and boat handling, and probably flying drones, too. But, look at the left control stick just after the moment the drone was released. Is he pressing it with the heel of his hand? Does the stick appear to be pushed full forward? Did you use the auto-takeoff button? Were the motors up to full speed before the release?
I think you're right! Probably has done it so many times he wasn't paying attention and does look like his other hand is against it.

None of that matters. It would have hovered.

I know exactly what happened. He just changed props and installed one set wrong. The immediate flip gives it away. Ask me how I know. :)
HA, that actually reminds me- before buying DJI drones, or having any real knowledge of drones, I bought a Holy Stone 720(or as my wife and I called it, the Holy ****, lol). I dont know if I got a lemon or not, but it had some sort of connectivity issue making takeoff unpredictable. It also liked to up and fly off for no particular reason. One time it decided to crash into the side of my garage on landing which ended up damaging the prop AND the motor.

Long story short, I ordered and replaced the motor. Upon first test, the drone started up at takeoff, proceeded to flip upside down damaging ALL the remaining props. Taking a close look at the replaced motor, I discovered my problem- the board on the replaced motor actually had 4 contact pads, allowing it to be oriented differently. Although my 2 wires were correct, I used the WRONG pad hence changing the rotational direction of the new motor.

Once this was resolved, I flew the drone for a grand total of 3 more times before it suicided into my motorcycle parked in the driveway. Absolute POS that drone was.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986