DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any commercial drone pilots in/near Joneboro AR fly search/rescue?

RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
We got a call re a 13 year old austic girl missing for 30 hours in Jonesboro AR. They are looking for a drone pilot with FLIR. Any commercial pilots in/near there that can help? The closest DSAR registry pilot is in MO and I'm trying to get ahold of him.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
They have a dog searching who has reportedly picked up a scent. Just in case ... I'm 5 hours away and charging the batteries on the M2ED and Inspire 1 with the Zenmuse XT FLIR camera. If they still haven't found her by morning and I don't hear from anyone else ... I will head that way.

Reactions: sar104
We got a call re a 13 year old austic girl missing for 30 hours in Jonesboro AR. They are looking for a drone pilot with FLIR. Any commercial pilots in/near there that can help? The closest DSAR registry pilot is in MO and I'm trying to get ahold of him.
I don’t have flir but I do have a mavic pro.
Could fly during day if not raining of course.

Buy the flir for my drone and I’m in

wonder why the police or fire dept. don’t use theirs?
Surely a town that size those agencies would own high end drones for this reason alone

Why would u have to have your part 107?
Seriously when lives are at risk

Because it's the law - those don't simply get suspended, even for SAR. Volunteers helping on a casual basis are most unlikely to get into trouble, but any pilots working formally under the Incident Commander would have to be certified.

Reactions: RCdancer
Because it's the law - those don't simply get suspended, even for SAR. Volunteers helping on a casual basis are most unlikely to get into trouble, but any pilots working formally under the Incident Commander would have to be certified.
I see...
Makes sense now..
I wish I was equipped with flir I would volunteer

Reactions: sar104
Can you cite the law or an FAA Advisory bulletin stating it’s a violation? The FAR’s state if you are flying commercially, or being compensated for your flight, then it’s commercial. Ham Radio operators are not allowed to use their equipment and license for commercial uses, but volunteering on search and rescue operations is totally permitted.

I am a commercial balloon pilot, as well as part 107 certified. We have many times had discusions on what constitutes compensation for ballooning. Because It is not spelled out specifically, it is a grey area and up for interpretation, but if you are volunteering your time, resources and money to assist in a search and rescue event, the argument would be there is no compensation and thusly you would not require a 107 certificate.

No - the law says nothing about flying commercially. What it says is that if you are not flying recreationally then you are flying under Part 107. And the FAA has clarified, many times, that even volunteer search and rescue work is not recreational.

No - the law says nothing about flying commercially. What it says is that if you are not flying recreationally then you are flying under Part 107. And the FAA has clarified, many times, that even volunteer search and rescue work is not recreational.

I deleted my original just as you posted. I do see where the hobbiest rules apply in this case, so it would most likely be a violation. ?‍♀️

Best to have a 107 certificate and be clear. ?

I deleted my original just as you posted. I do see where the hobbiest rules apply in this case, so it would most likely be a violation. ?‍♀️

Best to have a 107 certificate and be clear. ?

Agreed. And, as I mentioned, the FAA has clarified that volunteer SAR activities are Part 107. Shortly after Part 107 was created they went as far as sending letters to more than one volunteer SAR group telling them that they were not covered by the limited recreational exception - at that point Section 336.

I'm 107 certified and have an Inspire 1 with Zenmuse XT FLIR. However the search area is only 1.6 miles from an airport in E2 airspace and requires FAA authorization to fly. I requested but did not receive the required authorization. Probably just as well since my eyesight is still not up to normal after the emergency retinal detachment surgery I underwent 3 weeks ago. (I have however been released by the doctor to drive as of last Friday and would have driven the 5 hours to get there had I received authorization from the FAA.)

BTW - for those on the Commercial Pilots forum, there is more extended discussion there, as well as some details in the restricted DSAR forum. If you're on the DSAR registry and want access to the DSAR restricted forum, PM me and I'll get you access.

The good news out of this is that DSAR will be establishing a working relationship with EquuSearch as well as seeking an evaluation copy of the LOC8 software.

I'm 107 certified and have an Inspire 1 with Zenmuse XT FLIR. However the search area is only 1.6 miles from an airport in E2 airspace and requires FAA authorization to fly. I requested but did not receive the required authorization. Probably just as well since my eyesight is still not up to normal after the emergency retinal detachment surgery I underwent 3 weeks ago. (I have however been released by the doctor to drive as of last Friday and would have driven the 5 hours to get there had I received authorization from the FAA.)

BTW - for those on the Commercial Pilots forum, there is more extended discussion there, as well as some details in the restricted DSAR forum. If you're on the DSAR registry and want access to the DSAR restricted forum, PM me and I'll get you access.

The good news out of this is that DSAR will be establishing a working relationship with EquuSearch as well as seeking an evaluation copy of the LOC8 software.

The IMT should have been able to get a SGI waiver for the E2 airspace in less than an hour.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear