DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone experieced prop hinge pin failure ?

Toorak6

Reactions
I precautionarily change my prop when hinge get too loose having some play. Retention of these metal hinge pin makes me worry, obviously if one of these tiny pins fails I will lose the MV Pro.

Just wondering anybody seen the metal hinge pin came off mid flight or blade flew off mid flight ?

Last edited:
You're about 1 of maybe 3 people over the years that I have seen report the issue, giving you probably better odds of getting hit by lightning than it ever happening again.

Reactions: dirkclod
I change my prop when hinge get loose having some play. Retention of these metal hinge pin makes me worry, obviously if one of these tiny pin fails I will lose the MV Pro.

Just wondering anybody seen the metal hinge pin came off mid flight or blade flew off mid flight ?
No.... but I have had one of the 3 locking lugs on a prop break off in a crash of my MPP and lockup the motor... very difficult to remove,
This one reason I remove the props after flying or crash. Also helps inspect props which I do after every day’s flights as well as before I T.O.

You're about 1 of maybe 3 people over the years that I have seen report the issue, giving you probably better odds of getting hit by lightning than it ever happening again.

Am I one of the three?

Perhaps you should read one of my first posts from June 24, 2019 under the forum Mavic Pro Discussions.

I ordered Low Noise props from Amazon that were described as DJI Mavic props. The box containing the props looked a bit different from what I was used to.

Turns out they were a knock-off to the genuine props.

Hinge pin dropped out of its hole after I landed.

If the link works, you will see photos of the pin that dropped out of the propeller hub.

Attachments

• 1602506447371.png
    1602506447371.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 16
Ken, glad it didn't happen mid flight. I will continue to glue the pins of all props.

Don’t try to put Mavic props on a Mavic pro. The blades don’t lock right and the props fly off. Happened to me 6 feet off the ground during the test of controls. Caused serious crash and serious damage.

Don’t try to put Mavic props on a Mavic pro. The blades don’t lock right and the props fly off. Happened to me 6 feet off the ground during the test of controls. Caused serious crash and serious damage.

Care to elaborate on what is a "Mavic" ? And why anyone would try to put props on a aircraft for which they were not designed?

On 3/11/2020 I ordered some standard Mavic pro quick release folding propellers from DJI ‘s direct website, put them on my Mavic pro platinum and took off for a test run. Things went very bad when two of the props came off. The Mavic flipped violently, somersaulting down into the pavement. After retrieving one of the props that I could find that flew off, I discovered that they do not lock on to the Mavic pro platinum properly. From then on I only use low noise, gold tips. No more silver tips for me.

Care to elaborate on what is a "Mavic" ? And why anyone would try to put props on a aircraft for which they were not designed?
See pictures of props for Mavic...? Not safe to use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Preventing such an occurrence is perhaps a good reason to spread the props prior to flight as discussed in another thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem