DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone experience travelling with Mavic Pro (handluggage)

I'm a magician and I'll be working on a cruise line for 2 months so I'll be in Sweden and Finland every other day so I'm hoping to get some awesome shots by the end of it

Well there you go, you can just vanished your battery @ check point....problem solved.
Just kidding.......have a nice scenery hunting/filming.....can't wait to see your vids.

I just back from a trip with Mavic Pro + 4 batteries + Osmo in the hand bag.
Passed by the airports: Taiwan (2 airports) - China (6 airports) - Dubai (1 airport) - Brazil (3 airports)
No problems in any. All good!

Can you have a battery installed on the MP (discharged/undercharged of course) in carry on or it need to be remove?

There is no requirement to reduce the charge of the packs when taking the mas carry-on.

This keeps coming up due to confusion between shipping and carrying them as a passenger.

If you ship lithium packs as freight then there are strict regulations on charge state, these do not apply to carry-on.

Spare packs may not be checked into the hold simply because it is much harder to deal with a lithium fire in the hold, it is nothing to do with temperature or pressure.

Lithium packs contained within devices may be checked into the hold as they are judged to be a low risk as their terminal are not exposed and at risk of shorting and the rest of the equipment they are contained within protects them from damage.

Can you have a battery installed on the MP (discharged/undercharged of course) in carry on or it need to be remove?

Personally I remove the pack simply to avoid the slightest chance of inadvertently activating the aircraft in transit.

If you elect to leave it installed then do make sure that the power button cannot be pressed accidentally.

Personally I remove the pack simply to avoid the slightest chance of inadvertently activating the aircraft in transit.

If you elect to leave it installed then do make sure that the power button cannot be pressed accidentally.

MP is in a GPC Hard Case, pretty sure accidental press is nil to zero.
Maybe you have to step on it and give it enough pressure to trigger it ON.
But just to be safe I will remove it and place it in original DJI battery box.
Got a total of 5 battery and only 4 slots in the GPC Hard Case.

Everything was fine until you said cruise line - they hate drones, and many will not even allow passengers to bring them on board and will confiscate them - even though owners say they promise only to use them in port away from the boat. You need to clear even carrying it on board with them.

Regarding to your guestion, for example here in Hungary we have a preatty dumb rule... You are NOT allowed to carry your Drone in your hand luggage if the props are bigger than 6 cm (no matter if it is removable...pretty dumm regulations...)

Guys, as i see many of us are kinda lost regarding to traveling with our drones. Since i did not found any good sheet regarding to this i created a sub page on my website. Drone owners like us can easily check and filter departure and arrival and check if anything to worry about or we should be aware before our trip. I just screwed cause our Hungarian regulations, but got no worries traveling back.

» Drone Airplane Regulations and Tips

To avoid any spam flood the submissions will be reviewed within 12-24 hours, but after time this can be incredible handy for all of us. If you have any experience please share with us.

Thanks you!

Last edited:
On the trail end of a 3 week European vacation (Ireland, Spain, Portugal) and Airpot Security never mentioned my MavicPro or the three fully charged batteries (forgot to discharge for the last flight across the pond) I did have them in lipo pouches, FWIW

Algarve was freaking awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 47
On the trail end of a 3 week European vacation (Ireland, Spain, Portugal) and Airpot Security never mentioned my MavicPro or the three fully charged batteries (forgot to discharge for the last flight across the pond) I did have them in lipo pouches, FWIW

Algarve was freaking awesome!

Can you please give which airports you were at and which order you flew? Did you carried your mavic in your hand luggage?
I might add the information to our database at: » Drone Airplane Regulations and Tips

Or if you will be kind you can also submit your experience there.

Thank you!

I just heard back from Oceania Cruise Lines. No drones allowed on board. Period. There goes my plans.

Hi everyone I just travelled back to Australia and travelled with the fly more combo. No issues with travelling with the set and bringing it onboard the plane as hand luggage. I did have three fully charged batteries. The airline did require permission for spare and loose batteries with 100Wh rating but the two spare batteries was rated below that so no issues with bringing it onboard. I did pack it individually and covered the terminals but the airline staff weren't even interested in looking at it and just mentioned that drones and drone batteries are fine :)

I see people posting 50% battery. If I am not mistaken, FAA rules state less than 20%. The idea is if they are damaged, there is less energy for fire potential. I just flew with mine and discharged each to 19%.

Edit: Check with your airline too. Each airline has individual rules here.

Edit: Good article on it: Traveling With LiPo Batteries and Your Drone - Dronethusiast

Last edited:
I traveled to Tenerife a few weeks back i had 2 batteries i didn't tape the terminals only had them in a lipo bag each and at 50% or below. I had no trouble at all! Think it all depends on the security. I have seen about taping the batteries, putting them in separate bag clear bags then into individual lipo safe bags. My advice is don't dwell too much on it pack your drone up safe and enjoy your trip. There are loads of pilots on here that all do it differently. Enjoy

Edit ;) think it all has to do with the country your traveling to just stick to the FCC rules and you'll be fine!

Hello, I just wanted you to know that I flew from Timisoara-Romania to TelAviv- Israel with my Mavic Pro and all the three batteries in my hand luggage without any problem. The security check didn't even asked what is inside the bag. I just took the small bag with the aircraft on the table, they scanned it and that's it. So, Timisoara Airport from Romania is friendly with the drone travellers. :)...Maybe someone needs to know this. I couldn't find any information about this and I was worried about it before flying. I was flying with WizzAir.

Also in the Tel-Aviv airport I went to talk to customs an make sure there is no problem bringing a drone in their country and they were like "Oh, that's it?? don't worry it's ok."

My only advice is respect their rules:
1) Get a temporary membership card from one of their aeroclub before you go there.
2) Don't fly over the crowds
3) Don't fly near than 250m hospitals
3) Don't fly over 50m height
4) Don't fly near the airpors.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: smog
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members