DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone experience travelling with Mavic Pro (handluggage)

Kennyh1982

Reactions
Dear People,

Im new in the drone world.. I m using my mavic pro now since 2 weeks in my village..
but tuesday im going on holidays to Algarve, Portugal.. I fly from Brussels with TUI..

Now my question... Can I just take my drone with me in my handluggage without any troubles at
the security check at the airport?

Cause i read that the batteries can be dangerous etc...

Well I have 2 extra batteries... I read on internet that i have to tape them.. but it s kinda unclear for me..
the original package of the extra batteries i dont have anymore...

So can anyone send me a picture how this should be taped or does it need to be in seperate small plastic bags??

And the battery which is inside the drone... Does it need to be taken off inside the handluggage??

Hope to get some answers soon..

Thanks Kenny
Belgium

Schermafbeelding 2017-05-20 om 14.23.53.png
Schermafbeelding 2017-05-20 om 14.27.58.png

Yes. And you are actually required to carry at least the batteries in your hand luggage as LiPo batteries cannot be checked, due to a possible fire hazard.

You should reduce their charge to no more than about 40%. Suggest you make the point that they are discharged by showing the number of lights.

take everything in your hand luggage with your batteries between 50-75% charged (2/3 lights on battery) I purchased some lipo bags off ebay and put the batteries separate from the drone.

Reactions: kd84
I just flew to Geneva Switzerland via KLM. Took the Mavic and spare batteries in my hand luggage. I didn't cover the terminals and my batteries were greater than 50% and no questions were asked. I didn't realize prior to flying the possible danger that could be. I've since order some terminal covers (they are pretty cheap) and will be sure the batteries are less than 50% to ensure that they are not a problem.

Reactions: jash123
I just flew to Geneva Switzerland via KLM. Took the Mavic and spare batteries in my hand luggage. I didn't cover the terminals and my batteries were greater than 50% and no questions were asked. I didn't realize prior to flying the possible danger that could be. I've since order some terminal covers (they are pretty cheap) and will be sure the batteries are less than 50% to ensure that they are not a problem.

50% Is fine, I've just done a 4hr flight with mine at 70%

You should have no problem with your Mavic and it's batteries as hand luggage.

Lipo batteries don't like rapid temperature changes is why they should not be checked baggage. Plus, drone arrives in one piece!

Have a great holiday!

Reactions: Jerry
Now there has accumulated a lot of technically wrong information in this thread. For example the luggage compartment does not have any great temperature changes. It has the same temperature and pressure as the passenger compartment of the plane. Also the charge status of the batteries does not increase or decrease the fire risk.
LiIon's can break internally and start burning generally in two cases: Being over-charged or at over temperature. Also over-discharging could destroy the internal isolation.
If you don't charge or discharge them during flight, the risk is minimal and no airline requires you to partially discharge your batteries.

Reactions: Jerry
I've been traveling all through Europe the past couple of weeks. I flew here on Delta, and while here I've flown on KLM, Aegean, Transavia, Tui and RyanAir. Nobody has said a word. I have my drown in its case (fly more combo) in my backpack and the batteries in my backpack as well.

What about props? Were they attached and in carry on luggage? I read somewhere else the props were being considered sharp objects by some airlines.

Reactions: kd84
What about props? Were they attached and in carry on luggage? I read somewhere else the props were being considered sharp objects by some airlines.

Yeah, they were attached and in the carry on luggage. I've never taken the props off, after putting them on.

Reactions: DSGDSG
Yeah, they were attached and in the carry on luggage. I've never taken the props off, after putting them on.

I'll be travelling to Stockholm and Helsinki over the next two months and I will be travelling with my mavic the same way as you have thanks to your advice. But how do you know if you are legally allowed to fly them in the countries and import tax etc?

I'll be travelling to Stockholm and Helsinki over the next two months and I will be travelling with my mavic the same way as you have thanks to your advice. But how do you know if you are legally allowed to fly them in the countries and import tax etc?

You can fly a drone in Helsinki. Just stay under 150 m and don't fly over crowds or near airports.

Reactions: LookAtMrLee
Just have your batteries at around 40% - 60%, buy a LiPo case for your extra batteries and be assured to inform them that the strange things in the cases are batteries for your drone and of course that the other case has a drone in it.

Don't worry and have fun.

Thank you everyone :)
That clears a lot up for me. I'm a magician and I'll be working on a cruise line for 2 months so I'll be in Sweden and Finland every other day so I'm hoping to get some awesome shots by the end of it

Reactions: Egika
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+