DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone using iPhone Xs Max?

baksideDisaster

Reactions
I'm looking to upgrade my phone, droning being priority 1. I'm thinking iPhone Xs Max to have more screen real estate and it's nice that iPhone seems to get more updates from DJI quicker. I'm coming from Android LG V30. Curious any feedback anyone has on flying with Max. Likes/dislikes.. I heard the no home button can be a struggle.

I managed to borrow an iPhone 8+ from work, going to go out and fly some today as a reference. My biggest concern would be the screen in direct sunlight. My LG was pretty awful, and yes I have a sunshade but he majority of my flying is done way out in backcountry so I try to bring as little as possible and I usually have to setup and get my mavic in the air quickly as my stunt monkeys are not very patient for me fumbling around. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Its decently bright but you will still have a difficult time seeing outdoors - CrystalSky would be the best bet for outdoor viewing.

Thanks for recommendation, I didn't even know about that, looks cool. Unfortunately I'm really looking to take less stuff with me, so I don't really want to bring another screen. I'm packing my drone out on enduro motorcycle or snowmobile, space is critical.

I am using one. My chief complaint is that the video stream is formatted like a video from Netflix for example. It does not fill the entire screen, the left and right edges are black. Icons are there as well as buttons just not video.

I am using one. My chief complaint is that the video stream is formatted like a video from Netflix for example. It does not fill the entire screen, the left and right edges are black. Icons are there as well as buttons just not video.

Cool thanks for feedback. Looks like I'm going to get one to borrow from my work sometime later this wee. Going to try it out before buying. Helps to work in tech sometimes. ;)

Buying latest expensive phone just for droning is overkill. I think any Ipad with shade will be much less expensive option.
I use dedicated iphone 7plus with nothing but droning apps on it or when possible Ipad Pro 12". With $7-$13 shades they are bright and clear any sunny day.
That being said My Iphone Xs max is waiting for me tonight to be activated. I'll play with it and drone apps probably saturday.

I got the iPhone Xsmax and have been using it in replacement of my iPad mini 4. The screen looks decent and can live with the size now but I do wish it was brighter in the sun. I prefer using the phone as it’s one less thing to carry with me in my bag.

Reactions: baksideDisaster
Buying latest expensive phone just for droning is overkill. I think any Ipad with shade will be much less expensive option.
I use dedicated iphone 7plus with nothing but droning apps on it or when possible Ipad Pro 12". With $7-$13 shades they are bright and clear any sunny day.
That being said My Iphone Xs max is waiting for me tonight to be activated. I'll play with it and drone apps probably saturday.

Agreed but I need a new phone anyways, so I'd like to purchase one with droning in mind. I already have an iPad, but I barely use it as 90% of my droning is in the backcountry from dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Space is premium and I need a really solid device that can handle impact and changing weather conditions as weather tends to be wet. iPad would never survive the first snowstorm.

Reactions: abtocmeptb

I hear ya! I wish it was full screen like this screenshot I grabbed from Dylan's video. On newer phones they add black bars left & right side because of small phone bezels. I wish DJI gave us choice instead of forcing it on us.

Capture.GIF

Reactions: baksideDisaster
I have the iPhone Xs MAX (0.5 TB) and the display is much better than my previous iPhone 7 Plus in bright sunlight. It's not perfect, but certainly acceptable, IMHO. My only complaint is that FaceID doesn't work because the grips of the controller cover the front camera. However, that is certainly not a show-stopper for me, I just enter my PIN.

Can anyone show an image of the DJI go 4 app on the xs max so we can see what it looks like ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998