DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

App for DJI go4 that splits screen for FPV?????

i think theres more to it than just splitting the screen, the reason litchi and cavu can do it because its part of the control aspect of things, theres a lot of setting in litchi once inn vr mode, also have u looked into mounting a seperate fpv camera and it will run seperatly on whaat ever app it uses? ive seen a few at the hobby shop and they look small enough to mount on the mav but i am sure u wont get the distance range, ive never seen any one on this group say they have used vr mode on a s8 though, if it was an option over the expensive dji goggles i am sure guys here would be doing it

I have not seen anyone say they have used the S8 for FPV. But this does not surprise me. Most folks figure if you can afford the drone you can afford the goggles. Some even figure you should have to spend 100s on the goggles because that's what they had to do. Most folks also don't just want FPV they want to run the gimble or yaw. I'm from a different era. I was a computer hardware and software tech about 20 years back. Then it was all about tinkering, component upgrading, hacking, cracking. I actually quit, shut down my business and got a job in an unrelated field because replacing a computer was cheaper than fixing or upgrading it even with no labor charged. Everyone else seems to have left also. Now it seems it's all about throwing money at the issues. I am seriously scratching my head. Times have certainly changed. I saved a year for this drone. I watch youtube and kids are crashing drones like this into walls for fun.
Using an SDK app in itself does not void warranty.

IF you have a crash while using an SDK app AND it is proven that it was caused by that app's improper behavior, then only DJI might deny warranty.
Actually no. I watched a video on Youtube where a guy crashed his Mavic and the company sent him an email in poor English stating that DJI care refresh is voided if the crash occurs while using any 3rd party control app.

Litchi Vue is iOS only.

Actually no. I watched a video on Youtube where a guy crashed his Mavic and the company sent him an email in poor English stating that DJI care refresh is voided if the crash occurs while using any 3rd party control app.

You'll find many other cases that were honored to counter your single reference that wasn't... And even that one sounds fishy since Refresh covers everything, even proven user error slamming a perfectly working machine in a wall.

i think theres more to it than just splitting the screen, the reason litchi and cavu can do it because its part of the control aspect of things, theres a lot of setting in litchi once inn vr mode, also have u looked into mounting a seperate fpv camera and it will run seperatly on whaat ever app it uses? ive seen a few at the hobby shop and they look small enough to mount on the mav but i am sure u wont get the distance range, ive never seen any one on this group say they have used vr mode on a s8 though, if it was an option over the expensive dji goggles i am sure guys here would be doing it

I have not seen anyone say they have used the S8 for FPV. But this does not surprise me. Most folks figure if you can afford the drone you can afford the goggles. Some even figure you should have to spend 100s on the goggles because that's what they had to do. Most folks also don't just want FPV they want to run the gimbal or yaw.

I'm from a different era. I was a computer hardware and software tech about 20 years back. Then it was all about tinkering, component upgrading, hacking, cracking, overclocking. I actually quit, shut down my business and got a job in an unrelated field because replacing a computer was cheaper than fixing or upgrading it even with no labor charged. Everyone else seems to have left also. Now it seems it's all about throwing money at the issues. I am seriously scratching my head. Times have certainly changed. I saved a year for this drone. I watch youtube and kids are crashing drones like this into walls for fun.
No app can efficiently take the output of an other app and transform it into VR. That VR mode and the apps you get on your Samsung are all separate apps natively made for VR display, just like Litchi etc.

A few months ago someone had found something that did what you want but as expected it was too slow to be usable, think an image per second.
Litchi Vue is iOS only.

You'll find many other cases that were honored to counter your single reference that wasn't... And even that one sounds fishy since Refresh covers everything, even proven user error slamming a perfectly working machine in a wall.
You'll find they have seriously tightened up what care refresh covers. I heard from others you could purposely crash your drone and get a new one also. When I bought it my self I learned if it ever was that way it is not any longer. still great warranty but It would have taken about 2 seconds for folks to figure out they could fly the **** out of the drone for a year then just before warranty ends crash the drone and get a new one with no wear and tear. Then sell it slightly discounted and buy another new one with full warranty again from DJI. I'd never do it but there are a whack of folks out there that would.

I have not seen anyone say they have used the S8 for FPV. But this does not surprise me. Most folks figure if you can afford the drone you can afford the goggles. Some even figure you should have to spend 100s on the goggles because that's what they had to do. Most folks also don't just want FPV they want to run the gimbal or yaw.

I'm from a different era. I was a computer hardware and software tech about 20 years back. Then it was all about tinkering, component upgrading, hacking, cracking, overclocking. I actually quit, shut down my business and got a job in an unrelated field because replacing a computer was cheaper than fixing or upgrading it even with no labor charged. Everyone else seems to have left also. Now it seems it's all about throwing money at the issues. I am seriously scratching my head. Times have certainly changed. I saved a year for this drone. I watch youtube and kids are crashing drones like this into walls for fun.

You'll find they have seriously tightened up what care refresh covers. I heard from others you could purposely crash your drone and get a new one also. When I bought it my self I learned if it ever was that way it is not any longer. still great warranty but It would have taken about 2 seconds for folks to figure out they could fly the **** out of the drone for a year then just before warranty ends crash the drone and get a new one with no wear and tear. Then sell it slightly discounted and buy another new one with full warranty again from DJI. I'd never do it but there are a whack of folks out there that would.
No app can efficiently take the output of an other app and transform it into VR. That VR mode and the apps you get on your Samsung are all separate apps natively made for VR display, just like Litchi etc.

A few months ago someone had found something that did what you want but as expected it was too slow to be usable, think an image per second.
You are conflating VR with FPV. DJI goggles do not do VR. They do split screen. None of the FPV for drones do. You'd need a full 360 camera to do VR. All the DJI goggles do is split the screen. The lenses adjust for focus and your eye spacing. Makes it look like you are flying FPV with a huge monitor . They have to split the screen to align with each eye. If they just used the one image and you were looking at the center screen you'd actually be cross eyed.

Here is a video of the S8 and will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about and what I'm looking for with S6. As you can see there is no lag at all.
Makes everything FPV through the goggles.Not VR but FPV.

I understand that folks find this confusing. I mean even Android S8 calls a split screen showing identical images VR when it's not VR. VR doesn't use goggles to emulate watching a huge screen. VR tries to put you in a entirely with in the environment. VR would be insane to do real time or even near real time. There is lag from the drone to the device with one camera. VR would be a constant live feed 720 panorama. turn your head and the camera doesn't move there is already a camera there. look up same look down same. they try to emulate that by using what I call walleye vision where they use wide angle the center is in focus but the periffrial vision looks weird like looking through the bottom of a shot glass. Go pro does that. FPV for drones is more like sitting in a totally black room 6' from a 60 inch TV. That's exactly what I'm after. I don't want or need head control of yaw or gimbal. I just want the big screen view through goggles. Lol. they got apps that allow you to split the screen and watch you tube or run any other app on 1/2 half of the phone screen and facebook or any other app on the other half simultaneously. I can't see that splitting the screen to show the exact same thing on both sides is a big deal in comparison. If nothing exists then some app developer should get on it. The number of cheap goggles out there and a simple 5 dollar screen slitter app would make the developer a fortune.

You'll find they have seriously tightened up what care refresh covers
Refresh terms and conditions are what you want to read, and you won't find anything about 3rd party app exclusion in there. You're also confusing warranty and refresh, which aren't the same thing. Warranty covers defects, Refresh is an insurance that also covers your own messups, the only restriction is "accidental damage" so as to exclude the intentional "crash to get a new one". So if you have Refresh you are covered while using Litchi.

I'm not confusing anything, and the shortcut between VR and "duplicated screen" is normal since the underlying technique to display an image for cardboard-style viewers is the same regardless of what the displayed content is.
To do it right you do need more processing than just duplicating the image though which is what I'm saying. Yeah you can do that but it looks ****, for good result you need the proper lens distorsion and aberration compensation, which is why in decent stuff "intended to be viewed using a VR headset" (including litchi) you have 2 "rounded" images, not normal square content.

Anyway that native screen duplication functionality on the S8 and some other recent phones is built in to the phone's system, if it's not there there is to this day no userland app that can do it. Probably because that needs very low level access an app can't have.

Last edited:
Refresh terms and conditions are what you want to read, and you won't find anything about 3rd party app exclusion in there. You're also confusing warranty and refresh, which aren't the same thing. Warranty covers defects, Refresh is an insurance that also covers your own messups, the only restriction is "accidental damage" so as to exclude the intentional "crash to get a new one". So if you have Refresh you are covered while using Litchi.

I'm not confusing anything, and the shortcut between VR and "duplicated screen" is normal since the underlying technique to display an image for cardboard-style viewers is the same regardless of what the displayed content is.
To do it right you do need more processing than just duplicating the image though which is what I'm saying. Yeah you can do that but it looks ****, for good result you need the proper lens distorsion and aberration compensation, which is why in decent stuff "intended to be viewed using a VR headset" (including litchi) you have 2 "rounded" images, not normal square content.

Anyway that native screen duplication functionality on the S8 and some other recent phones is built in to the phone's system, if it's not there there is to this day no userland app that can do it. Probably because that needs very low level access an app can't have.
wow great write up, this clears up a lot, thanx for this

What you are talking about they call VR and the curving of the image is to produce a 3d affect. just splitting and duplicating the screen seen through magnification will give you a good 2 D image. yes you will lose resolution according to the amount of magnification. How much depends on your own screen resolution. It's not a perfect image it's the difference between under a 100 dollars or over $500.

I do not see an app that splits the screen and puts the exact same image from the exact same app on both sides of the screen simultaneously to be any more intrusive to the phone's OS or programming intensive than apps already out there. Apps out there now that split the screen and allow two separate apps to run simultaneously on either side of the screen. I found one app yesterday that allows the user to view 4 - 2d video feeds simultaneously such as multiple security cams. The point I'm making is that the technology and apps are either doing far far more than what I'm looking for or they are doing exactly what I want but have their own GUI.

They already have screen splitting for multitasking. Intensive? you can watch two videos on the same screen from two apps at the same time. Screen mirroring? You can do that wireless through WIFI on two different devices of even two different operating platforms. Intense? You can even give both devices the ability to run the app at the same time.

All i'm looking for is split screen. App on one side 2d mirroring on the other side and the mirrored side just has to display the image. The app interface and buttons don't have to work on the mirrored side.

My search isn't quite complete yet. But If I can't find this then I will be contacting some local App develoment companies. All the folks out there buying cheap VR goggles for drones? a simple app at $5 a pop would come out to millions. Folks are buying litchy at $30 a pop or getting Cavu then paying to unlock for their drone at $10 mainly for the FPV function. Yes you get other features. But $5.00 for simple 2d FPV would be fair, Cheaper and allow you to even control,start, stop, and use apps with a Bluetooth controller without taking the phone out of the goggles.

You can call Care Refresh warranty, extended warranty, insurance or whatever you like. I paid $170 dollars Canadian for it. People making claims on it are getting their drone or another drone back in days to a week rather than a month or more. But if I buy either litchy for $30 or Cavu then unlock the Mavic for $10 Use either to Fly FPV and something happens? Maybe they might still honor the standard warranty and fix a manufacturers defect but I'm without my drone until they do. But if the issue is user error then i lost the entire cost of the repair or the whole drone and the $170 I paid for insurance on top of it. If I could afford to risk the $1995 dollars I paid for the drone Plus the $170 I paid for the insurance then DJI goggles at about $700 Canadian or Movario at about a $900+ Canadian or the Fatshark HD3 at 900 + Canadian would not be an issue.

I won't go into detail cause I sure as **** am not looking for sympathy. But my situation is No money, health issues that involves a ticking clock. I've always wanted to fly. Pilot license isn't going to happen. Best chance to experience that is with this drone. I still owe my daughter for the $170 insurance and the S6 I'm using is borrowed because neither My S4 or my old tablet will run DJI go4. I'm OK with settling for what everyone else would call crappy 2d FPV. It's more than I've ever had. I'm not complaining about my problems. I am searching for solutions ideal or not. If and when I can get better goggles I will but until then this is the boat I'm sitting in. Maybe you are right. Maybe it's a programming issue. Could even be that Google, Samsung, Android, DJI and everyone else is vying for and competing in the VR and FPV market so an app like I mention may be prohibited by software patents. Samsung want's folks buying their new $800 phones. DJI wants folks buying their new $500 goggles and Google who is partners with both may not ever offer a cheap and simple app that hinders that. 3rd party apps outside of Google may be prohibited by software patents. But it never hurts to ask. Worst case is I'm without FPV until warranty is up or I can afford the goggles or I can no longer fly. By that's will be the same whether I ask and search for a solution or not. Keeps me busy when I can't fly.

the goggles have came down, they are 450 canadian now, and they may go even lower as theres rumor a new design may be on the horizon, u seem very set on warranty and playing by the books so i dont think any app is gonna do what u want without causing u stress so maybe save for the dji goggles at 450 canadican or fly her as is and be happy with what u have, get her in the air and lets see some pics man, get er in the air,,,,,,,,,

oh and i luv the "eddie" avatar,,,,,, huge maiden fan here, dont mod ur bird and fly high enough to get in the way of bruce dickonsons jet,,,,,,,,, then u will be in trouble haha

What you are talking about they call VR and the curving of the image is to produce a 3d affect
Not at all, it's to compensate the distorsion of the lens. It's the same whether the content is 2D or 3D. You do 3D by displaying different images on both, while for 2D both are identical.

They already have screen splitting for multitasking. Intensive?
Not intensive at all, which is why apps can do it... What I said is that an app is apparently not allowed to "steal" the screen output of another app and reprocess it like you want, for obvious reasons. The one example of something that apparently managed to do it via some circumvented way worked with unusably low performance.

It can be done very easily if at the OS level, like on the S8 and some other much cheaper ones.

Cheaper and allow you to even control,start, stop, and use apps with a Bluetooth controller without taking the phone out of the goggles.
That will be a problem with apps like DJI GO that are not made for it and expect strictly touch input.

Again the solution is there and it's an app made for it with proper display and control, and there are multiple of them.

I also don't understand why you're quoting all new prices. Surely if you have "no money" you'd rather be looking at snatching a 2nd hand $250 set of first version DJI Goggles on eBay, no? Same for the Mavic itself...

But if I buy either litchy for $30 or Cavu then unlock the Mavic for $10 Use either to Fly FPV and something happens? Maybe they might still honor the standard warranty and fix a manufacturers defect but I'm without my drone until they do.

Ummm you know something can happen at anytime even using everything stock, right? Just read the posts on here.
There are 2 very common sayings, "it's not if you crash but when", and "never buy a drone if you aren't ready to lose it"... So best is to enjoy it for what you wanted it to and forget about the "what ifs". You bought your drone to do FPV so do FPV while being careful and if something happens then hope the coverage works. No point keeping it under a glass dome for a year because it's under warranty, then crash it without having ever enjoyed it - when the cover is expired and you're now 100% sure you're screwed.

Last edited:
the goggles have came down, they are 450 canadian now, and they may go even lower as theres rumor a new design may be on the horizon, u seem very set on warranty and playing by the books so i dont think any app is gonna do what u want without causing u stress so maybe save for the dji goggles at 450 canadican or fly her as is and be happy with what u have, get her in the air and lets see some pics man, get er in the air,,,,,,,,,

Ya I found a demo set for about 450. Problem isn't the price just the lack of money. I'l buy somthisng proper when I can. Just wanna figure out a way to do it on the cheap now and keep the DJI care refresh

Not at all, it's to compensate the distorsion of the lens. It's the same whether the content is 2D or 3D. You do 3D by displaying different images on both, while for 2D both are identical.

Not intensive at all, which is why apps can do it... What I said is that an app is apparently not allowed to "steal" the screen output of another app and reprocess it like you want, for obvious reasons. The one example of something that apparently managed to do it via some circumvented way worked with unusably low performance.

It can be done very easily if at the OS level, like on the S8 and some other much cheaper ones.

That will be a problem with apps like DJI GO that are not made for it and expect strictly touch input.

Again the solution is there and it's an app made for it with proper display and control, and there are multiple of them.

I also don't understand why you're quoting all new prices. Surely if you have "no money" you'd rather be looking at snatching a 2nd hand $250 set of first version DJI Goggles on eBay, no? Same for the Mavic itself...

Ummm you know something can happen at anytime even using everything stock, right? Just read the posts on here.
There are 2 very common sayings, "it's not if you crash but when", and "never buy a drone if you aren't ready to lose it"... So best is to enjoy it for what you wanted it to and forget about the "what ifs". You bought your drone to do FPV so do FPV while being careful and if something happens then hope the coverage works. No point keeping it under a glass dome for a year because it's under warranty, then crash it without having ever enjoyed it - when the cover is expired and you're now 100% sure you're screwed.

I'll try to explain. I've got 4 devices with different sized screens and have seen a guy mirror DJI go on an android through a large flat screen TV. As DJI go displays properly on all of my different sized device screens it obviously handles different sized displays with no problem. As that guy I saw could send the video to a large non touch screen TV shows it can be displayed on a non controllable display. A screen slitter app does not have to steal or process anything. It just splits the screen and defines the size of it to the DJI app on start up or any other app you run. Then a splitter app simply mirrors the DJI live interactive side to the other side of the screen just like it would mirroring to a second device. The DJI app obviously looks for the screen size and resolution automatically every time it starts because you do not have to reinstall or change settings in DJI if you change the resolution of your phone screen. Nougat 7 already has interactive split screen for multi tasking, If it had a button icon to mirror which is way way easier and far less intensive than multitasking, I wouldn't need an app

Of course anything can happen any time. But I paid so if something happens, even catastrophic, within the first year, I Just need to return the broke one and get new or like new for $120. My cost is limited. Experience in flying the drone after a year should hopefully minimize the chances of human error crashes after that. To prevent the loss of my drone I know the areas I fly. Meticulous inspection of GPS even in areas I know on foot like the back of my hand. Flight direction is determined by wind speed and direction. Emergency landing spots are picked and known before I leave the house. I Leave against the wind and return with it. I don't use auto return to home but I don't ignore the warning. I fly it back manually. That way I'm focused and know exactly where I am if the crap hits the fan. Luckily for me I am from rural Saskatchewan and have hunted and camped off grid all over hell's 1/2 acre the last 40 years. It would take years to fly all the areas I know well on foot. Anything can happen but I try not to tempt or invite an undesired fate. Lol...

Used DJI goggles you don't get in Canada for 250. Maybe in the US you will. Canada you immediately add 30%. So that's 325 plus anything else they decide to add on. Lol. Cheapest used set I found in Canada so far is 450 plus 11% tax. A demo set at a hobby shop. Used lots by many but not in bad shape. I've Been looking for and tracking prices for good goggles new and used but I can't do anything until I have the coinage to pull the trigger. Until then?

My Canbor goggles should be here tomorrow. When they get here I'll put in the cell phone and find out exactly what I'll need to find or work to create. Once I figure it out. I'll let everyone know.

Already have some videos on you tube. They ain't great but still learning to fly. Learning to edit. Learning to record some diddly tunes I create for the videos. Have you noticed how many awesome drone videos are set to the exact same tunes? LMAO...This video is too long and what I played and recorded in one take sucked. But at this point it's all experimentation toward something better.

Already have some videos on you tube. They ain't great but still learning to fly. Learning to edit. Learning to record some diddly tunes I create for the videos. Have you noticed how many awesome drone videos are set to the exact same tunes? LMAO...This video is too long and what I played and recorded in one take sucked. But at this point it's all experimentation toward something better.
thats a great location to fly under the bridge and then fly above and aim camera straight down and turn the mav as u climb, theres some info on setting the camera up to get smooth transitions so not to jerky, once i changed those things looked wayyyy better, i agree lots of vids have same type of music i did my vid to some "accept" i am a 80s metal guy haha

You can cast your phone screen to a chromecast and big tv with google chrome.
Possible The guy I saw do it was using a phantom 4. he usually has fat shark goggles and pretty sure he's using android. I'm not sure what kind of video out possibilities are available from the phantom 4 controller or from the fat shark goggles. He might have been doing it through HDMI. I'd have to find the video and watch it again to see if he explains how. I'm Just saying. We got Split screen multi tasking. Mirroring from IOS to Android or Android to IOS. Casting to TV's or HDMI connection to TV's and devices. Different apps, different manufacturers different OS's. How is split screen 2d mirroring on the same device such an unachievable technological feat?

My son in law tried my Mavic. The way he was flying it I suggested to him to forget about the Mavic. He lives in the city. Can't fly cause of the airport so I suggested he get a small cheap drone to fly inside and learn on then get something or a build kit for racing. He goes on the net and finds this kit.

$65 for the drone and controller extra $20 for the FPV goggles. 500x300 resolution. $85 and he can put his feet up crack a beer, throw on the goggles and torment his dogs FPV. LOL....

thats a great location to fly under the bridge and then fly above and aim camera straight down and turn the mav as u climb, theres some info on setting the camera up to get smooth transitions so not to jerky, once i changed those things looked wayyyy better, i agree lots of vids have same type of music i did my vid to some "accept" i am a 80s metal guy haha

All you say is true. Still don't trust neither myself or the drone yet when it comes to not loosing signal around big metal objects. The overhead shot would look cool but flying over road ways in Canada is illegal so even if I ever did it I'd never make it public. Doubt anyone would come after me for crossing a roadway at high altitude but flying along or hovering above would get attention. Some one would certainly rat. I've already toned down the gimbal and yaw according to Youtubers doing cinematic video. It's not the drone it's me.

Ya I'm also from 80's metal era. But about 5 years ago I did a (UN MONETIZED)play along drum cover to Had a dream by Roger Hodgeson of Super Tramp with artist credit given. Sony came after me. You tube took my video off and gave me a strike on my account limiting even video size I could upload for a year. And right now as we speak over 1/2 of our band cover video's on You tube have copyright claims against them preventing me from monetizing. They have no grounds on our covers cause it's us playing but to fix it I would have to fight each single claim individually. Needless to say I no longer use anyone else's copyrighted music recording as backing for anything. I won't use our bands covers either because that belongs to the band not to me solely. Wish I could. Lol. love the one we were writing today. well yesterday now I guess. Gonna sound awesome once it's done and put some lyrics to it. If you like 80s this will tweak your beanie. Lol... For instance this one
Copyright claim against it. Rather than fighting over covers we are just writing originals

Last edited:
Reactions: genesimmons

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev