DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple iPad Air 2 WIFI + cellular to get GPS

Turn11

Reactions
I am a newbie, I only have about 3 hours flight time, mostly just practicing recovery procedures and getting used to the world of flight.

I am presently using an iPad Air WIFI 1st gen but it doesn't have GPS. I like the larger display; it was free and free is not always necessarily bad. I would like to have GPS so I will have to get another device. Ebay has iPad Air2's WIFI and cellular unlocked for a couple hundred dollars from "reputable sellers".

It is my understanding I need cellular to have GPS, is that correct.
Edit: I just saw on a Mac forum that the Air 2 "has support for A-GPS" what does that mean?

I "assume" I won't need to have the Air on a network to use GPS

16GB should be enough storage I "assume"

Is there anything else I need to look for.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Lare
Assisted GPS (abbreviated generally as A-GPS and less commonly as aGPS) is a system that often significantly improves the startup performance—i.e., time-to-first-fix (TTFF)—of a GPS satellite-based positioning system.

I am a newbie, I only have about 3 hours flight time, mostly just practicing recovery procedures and getting used to the world of flight.

I am presently using an iPad Air WIFI 1st gen but it doesn't have GPS. I like the larger display; it was free and free is not always necessarily bad. I would like to have GPS so I will have to get another device. Ebay has iPad Air2's WIFI and cellular unlocked for a couple hundred dollars from "reputable sellers".

Edit: I just saw on a Mac forum that the Air 2 "has support for A-GPS" what does that mean?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

My iPad Is WiFi only. I usually just turn on the hotspot on my phone. Once connected to my iPad. I Wait a second until the map loads on my iPad because it’s using the internet from my phone. Then I turn off the hotspot on my phone. Once the map loads it stays there until I’m done filming for the day. No need for cellular iPad. I don’t need the hotspot for more than 10 seconds and I’m good.

@msinger
@BD0G

Thank you for your responses. I just bought an iPad Air 2 WIFY + cellular off ebay for USD $179.00 from a Top Rated Plus seller.

Uhh, I want that deal!

You can cache the maps by finding the area when connected to the internet and zooming in and out. Then when disconnected from the internet in your chosen flight location you would be able to see the map data as it has been cached.

Thanks in advance,

Larry
You could also just use your cellphone as a "hotspot" and link it to your WIFI only Ipad and save the $179. You won't see much of a difference on your cellphone bill doing this. Just a thought.

I had never used that function and I forgot completely about it. I will try it but if you could, how much of an area does it cover (from your location about how much of a radius)?

Thanks, Larry

As much as you want. You just zoom in and out. I haven’t had any issues with not having enough map. When it loads. Just zoom way out and it should save whatever you zoomed out to I imagine.

You could also just use your cellphone as a "hotspot" and link it to your WIFI only Ipad and save the $179. You won't see much of a difference on your cellphone bill doing this. Just a thought.

This has already been said. But just more evidence of others doing the same.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan