DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple's Drone images

Bryce steiner

Reactions
I'm interested in where this image might be from
I'm also interested in how Apple is able to do this drone footage of an airport with all the NFZ spaces. This is on their 4k Apple TV. The planes are all moving so this is not a static satellite image.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
View attachment 67437
I'm also interested in how Apple is able to do this drone footage of an airport with all the NFZ spaces. This is on their 4k Apple TV. The planes are all moving so this is not a static satellite image.
I also admire those Apple TV Screensavers. But I’m not sure wether those videos are taken by a drone... I think at least some of them are taken from high flying airplanes and zoomed in. There are also some videos showing space, so there is definitely no drone capable of doing this stunt ;-)

For the locations: If you have the newest tvOS installed on your Apple TV, you can press the touch-area of your Remote when the screensaver is running to get info on what is shown on the bottom left side of your screen:

Go to Google Earth and type LAX into the search box

Drone or helicopter done with coordination from air traffic control.

You were possibly interested in WHERE this is ?
No idea.

How they get these ?
Could it be recorded satellite footage ?
It really looks about that quality, or maybe that's just your pic of the TV screen.

This is sat video of Dubai airport . . .

And a sat image of LAX

Los_Angeles_International_Airport_satellite_view.png

It is obviously much easier to get such footage by drone, but imagine the hoops to jump through to get permissions etc would be difficult, even for someone very high up the UAV ladder.

As calmar81 wrote, you can lightly touch your remote to reveal the location of each screensaver. The one in question is indeed LAX.

The quality of the image, perspective and speed that everything is moving would indicate it's drone footage.

As far as how Apple got it, what Apple wants, Apple gets. What's important here is that the drone is above the terminal, parking areas and taxiway, not an active runway or runway approach. In other words, not where airplanes in flight would be.

There are companies working with very high altitude, lighter than air platforms, for portable, local telecommunications systems to negate the use of satellites. One of these platforms could have taken that footage

The info says, "Flying over Los Angels International Airport". That is one slow flight considering how the vehicles are moving at full speed. Thanks for the info Calmar!

As calmar81 wrote, you can lightly touch your remote to reveal the location of each screensaver. The one in question is indeed LAX.

The quality of the image, perspective and speed that everything is moving would indicate it's drone footage.

As far as how Apple got it, what Apple wants, Apple gets. What's important here is that the drone is above the terminal, parking areas and taxiway, not an active runway or runway approach. In other words, not where airplanes in flight would be.
I seriously doubt it is drone footage. That sort of thing is usually done with full cooperation with ATC and is usually filmed from a helicopter, either hovering or in a very slow flight mode. We had a member on here a while back who displayed some photos that he allowed us to believe were shot with a drone (though he did not state that) but what he does is rents a helicopter to fly above an airport and get a shot of jets about to land, from right above. Again it is done with ATC cooperation and, as stated, a helicopter while hanging out the door.

I seriously doubt it is drone footage. That sort of thing is usually done with full cooperation with ATC and is usually filmed from a helicopter, either hovering or in a very slow flight mode. We had a member on here a while back who displayed some photos that he allowed us to believe were shot with a drone (though he did not state that) but what he does is rents a helicopter to fly above an airport and get a shot of jets about to land, from right above. Again it is done with ATC cooperation and, as stated, a helicopter while hanging out the door.
At the very least it's not from satellite or balloon as some have been suggesting.

Apple says it uses drones and helicopters but won't comment further on specific videos, so I guess we'll never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cymruflyer
Drone people seem to be obsessed about "every aerial image MUST have been taken by a drone" becasue drones are so cool and everything should be done with them - but no, in real life it's just a tool, for a few things it's the best tool but for many others it isn't, so something else is used. A lot, probably most of the commercial footage that isn't low to the ground is still shot with manned helicopters. Most certainly the case here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuskegee Airman
If a helicopter was used, they attached a GSS gimbal with a RED Dragon camera shot at 120fps, played back at 24fps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS