DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Astonishing and scary data collection by DJI

Perhaps his wife was in cohorts with someone?
To every one out there I have about $100 Aus in my account. Other money is under the bed.
My account is set to inform if any transaction is taking place.
Need two step authority with questions.
Good luck with any extortion practice, every thing I post in any place is open to public scrutiny.

Out of DJI 's data mill topic, they do have face book mill and Like mill in Thailand operated by Chinese mainlanders at RMB0.06/click.

I think we're screwed any way.
There have been recent posts of people having chips implanted already.
Latest was a guy in Australia having the Opal travel card chip placed in his hand.

Thanks for that last vid @Robbyg, added new point to the after flight checklist. "Go to Settings>Apps>DJI GO4> Force Stop" After that app doesn't do any background connections any more.
Thought I already blocked it completely, but after watching the video went back to recheck and found that it still tries to connect while "closed" as soon as phone connects to the internet.

Edit:
Going through the blocked lP logs noticed something, DJI GO tried to connect to other devices in the local network, for example my PC at port 5678. Weird considering that is the port often used on routers for remote administration...

Last edited:
First off in this day and time if you go a week without checking your bank account you're setting yourself up and living a very naïve life. Identity theft is a very serious problem in today's life and ANYTHING you do online is a risk. If you are afraid of apps and websites you best just stay away from them. It's going to be a very difficult life for you because that's the way business is done now days with credit cards etc. Walking into a brick and mortar store and using a credit card like I did in Target can expose you. The only way you can eliminate that risk is use cash only. Do you keep your money in a bank with the bank account number that can be hacked? Are you going to stuff your money in your mattress? My wife and I check our bank accounts every day and we know what we purchased and anything that doesn't look right. Secondly if you've got pictures on FB you don't want your wife to see maybe you don't need to be married .

Reactions: CoolBreeze
I understand if flight data is being collected we should know, but why should we care about flight data?

Purchased drones from an unfriendly country worries me. I could care less if China or anyone else knows where I fly.

What if all dji Drones could be controlled by China? Remotely starting or taking control while flying?

Mavic in my bedroom, should I keep the camera/gimbal cover on?

I think China's human trafficking is more concerning.

This weekend my flight area is under TFR due to Unlimited Boat race and air show. Now I'm worried, must leave to get flight fix so my shakes subside.

Reactions: Robbyg
Thanks for that last vid @Robbyg, added new point to the after flight checklist. "Go to Settings>Apps>DJI GO4> Force Stop" After that app doesn't do any background connections any more.
Thought I already blocked it completely, but after watching the video went back to recheck and found that it still tries to connect while "closed" as soon as phone connects to the internet.

Edit:
Going through the blocked lP logs noticed something, DJI GO tried to connect to other devices in the local network, for example my PC at port 5678. Weird considering that is the port often used on routers for remote administration...

The hacker guys have been finding a lot of stuff like that happening. I honestly have not been following it in too much technical depth because I use a dedicated device that is always in airplane mode. If you really want to know more you have to locate one of the other sites and talk to the right people.

Rob

First off in this day and time if you go a week without checking your bank account you're setting yourself up and living a very naïve life. Identity theft is a very serious problem in today's life and ANYTHING you do online is a risk. If you are afraid of apps and websites you best just stay away from them. It's going to be a very difficult life for you because that's the way business is done now days with credit cards etc. Walking into a brick and mortar store and using a credit card like I did in Target can expose you. The only way you can eliminate that risk is use cash only. Do you keep your money in a bank with the bank account number that can be hacked? Are you going to stuff your money in your mattress? My wife and I check our bank accounts every day and we know what we purchased and anything that doesn't look right. Secondly if you've got pictures on FB you don't want your wife to see maybe you don't need to be married .

You don't have to live your life in either black or white, there are many grey options to make things easier and are still safe.

Number one, Don't use free email services. Your main email account should be from a reputable email company with a short EULA that guarantees all emails that are deleted are really deleted. That none of your emails are read, scanned or the info is shared unless law enforcement requires it. The accounts password should be long and impossible to guess.

Once your email gets hacked everything else falls like dominoes, so its important your email account is secure. I pay $35 a year for my email account. Money well spent since I have never had a breach. My emails are not read or "scanned" by the company. They are all destroyed within 30 days of being retrieved from their servers by my server. And no data is ever shared unless their is a valid warrant. Thats something they have put in writing. I have been using their services for over 17 years now and am very happy with it.

You should have multiple bank accounts. The ones that have any serious amount of money in them should have no credit or debit card attached to them, they should be only checking accounts. Your accounts with credit or debit cards attached should have limited funds in them and be from a different bank.

Use PayPal for any transaction that you can use it on and always use it for dubious looking transactions.

As for your advice about not leaving info on Facebook your preaching to the choir! You probably think his wife saw nude photos or him doing something with another woman.
NO! It does not require that to start a marriage going down hill. He only had pictures of himself meeting other friends from university and people he knew from work etc.
Every picture that had some woman sitting next to him required an explanation and each explanation of who that was and where he was and why didn't she know about that person before lead to more questions. This all lead to more and more distrust. Eventually she believed nothing and thought he was lying and fooling around.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: CoolBreeze
You don't have to live your life in either black or white, there are many grey options to make things easier and are still safe.

Number one, Don't use free email services. Your main email account should be from a reputable email company with a short EULA that guarantees all emails that are deleted are really deleted. That none of your emails are read, scanned or the info is shared unless law enforcement requires it. The accounts password should be long and impossible to guess.

Once your email gets hacked everything else falls like dominoes, so its important your email account is secure. I pay $35 a year for my email account. Money well spent since I have never had a breach. My emails are not read or "scanned" by the company. They are all destroyed within 30 days of being retrieved from their servers by my server. And no data is ever shared unless their is a valid warrant. Thats something they have put in writing. I have been using their services for over 17 years now and am very happy with it.

You should have multiple bank accounts. The ones that have any serious amount of money in them should have no credit or debit card attached to them, they should be only checking accounts. Your accounts with credit or debit cards attached should have limited funds in them and be from a different bank.

Use PayPal for any transaction that you can use it on and always use it for dubious looking transactions.

As for your advice about not leaving info on Facebook your preaching to the choir! You probably think his wife saw nude photos or him doing something with another woman.
NO! It does not require that to start a marriage going down hill. He only had pictures of himself meeting other friends from university and people he knew from work etc.
Every picture that had some woman sitting next to him required an explanation and each explanation of who that was and where he was and why didn't she know about that person before. This all lead to more and more distrust. Eventually she believed nothing and though he lying and fooling around.

Rob

Good advice me thinks.

Every picture that had some woman sitting next to him required an explanation and each explanation of who that was and where he was and why didn't she know about that person before. This all lead to more and more distrust. Eventually she believed nothing and though he lying and fooling around.

Rob

Sounds like their marriage was not stable even before the pictures. I can't believe she didn't trust him that much. Maybe he should have taken her when he met these old friends if that was possible. As for PayPal I have heard horror stories about them from friends of mine and online in EBay. I've never used them.

Of course I have multiple bank accounts with only working money in accounts tied to checking and that is the account that gets checked daily. I don't do any transaction that looks dubious.

I must ask you what are you trying to achieve by posting this thread? I mean you are implying you shouldn't use your Go Apps. How do you plan on flying your $2000 investment? You can't use Litchi or other apps exclusively because some parameters have to be set in the Go App as far as I know. If you don't trust DJI you might as well sell your bird unless you know a grey area there.

What does it mean "they will share your videos..."?
To share everything, they must download any shot, which means they use the owner data connection to upload.
If they don't, the SD card could be formatted and the space rewritten.
A 4K video, is GBs big and if it's uploaded through a 3g-4g-5g connection, the owner run out of his data credit (i.e. I've 4GB/month) for a single flight.
Less amount of data, if the video collected is the streamed one, but neverthless I wouldn't want to run out of my monthly data credit, because of DJI which uses my data connection, without paying the bill.
Honestly, I didn't notice any abnormal data drain, so I think I misunderstood, or it's actually a formal permission, a deterrent.

I found this video last night. It seems to be the most complete one on demonstrating what DJI is collecting and what they claim to be collecting in the TOS.
Rob

Sounds like their marriage was not stable even before the pictures. I can't believe she didn't trust him that much. Maybe he should have taken her when he met these old friends if that was possible. As for PayPal I have heard horror stories about them from friends of mine and online in EBay. I've never used them.

Of course I have multiple bank accounts with only working money in accounts tied to checking and that is the account that gets checked daily. I don't do any transaction that looks dubious.

I must ask you what are you trying to achieve by posting this thread? I mean you are implying you shouldn't use your Go Apps. How do you plan on flying your $2000 investment? You can't use Litchi or other apps exclusively because some parameters have to be set in the Go App as far as I know. If you don't trust DJI you might as well sell your bird unless you know a grey area there.

His marriage was not on the rocks, it was the complete opposite of that. My experience has been that my friends who have wives that don't 100% trust them, the wives are often indifferent when they hear or see something, they just seem to chalk it up to yes he could be possibly fooling around. They never complete trust the guy to begin with so they don't blow a fuse when something trivial happens.

The Friends who's wives trust them 100% are the most vulnerable because if the wife discovers something, she feels betrayed because your supposed to be "Sharing" everything with her. Once she finds one thing it opens a world of suspicion that she has probably never had to face before and soon she starts to question everything. My coworker was actually very relieved when she asked for a divorce. After three months of separation she came back asking to be forgiven. Saying that she had acted irrationally. Unfortunately for her It was too late, by then he had realizing that he was way happier without her. He was socializing with other people and having fun instead of rushing home every day after work. When he told her he was not interested in getting back together that's when the legal fireworks really started to explode. It's been 5 years, the guy is dating a girl about half his age, he seems to like the fact that she is spontaneous and naive and not to mention very active;). I have also seen his ex-wife and wow is she in limbo. She milked him for an insane amount of money and the house but she is just so depressed and sad. Yep almost 20 years of marriage up in flames over FaceBook.

BTW Paypal is great. It's only sellers that complain about it. For people who use it to buy stuff their is no downside.

Anyway enough off topic stuff, back to drones :D

Rob

Last edited:
Well I guess I don't know anything about relationships, I've only been married for 34 years. Well I did ask you a question about drones and I see you didn't answer it but that's ok. I was just wondering what the purpose of this thread is all about. I don't think we can fly our drones without DJI's Go Apps.

What does it mean "they will share your videos..."?
To share everything, they must download any shot, which means they use the owner data connection to upload.
If they don't, the SD card could be formatted and the space rewritten.
A 4K video, is GBs big and if it's uploaded through a 3g-4g-5g connection, the owner run out of his data credit (i.e. I've 4GB/month) for a single flight.
Less amount of data, if the video collected is the streamed one, but neverthless I wouldn't want to run out of my monthly data credit, because of DJI which uses my data connection, without paying the bill.
Honestly, I didn't notice any abnormal data drain, so I think I misunderstood, or it's actually a formal permission, a deterrent.

You actually hit onto exactly what tripped off alarm bells for me 4 months ago when I was reading the Chinese Beta testers website. Guys were saying that all their cellphone data was being used up by the Beta App. Further reading led me to find out about the SIM chip number collection, the requirement to have an internet connection if not always at least periodically or the craft would not fly.
I posted about it back then and now seem to be in the current software.

BTW "Share your Videos" yeah that one got me also. I have never seen a company that is SELLING A PRODUCT be so brazen as to require your personal video not only be taken but they are telling you straight up that they will selling it for $$.

Could you imagine if Canon or Nikon said we are going to download your photos from your camera when its near a WiFI source and we will be selling your pictures!!

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: HKFEVER
Well I guess I don't know anything about relationships, I've only been married for 34 years. Well I did ask you a question about drones and I see you didn't answer it but that's ok. I was just wondering what the purpose of this thread is all about. I don't think we can fly our drones without DJI's Go Apps.

No need to get all upset, I just forgot about that part.
I use firmware .400 and the app is Go4 4.04 ios.
My iphone 6plus has no sim chip in it and I not only have it in airplane mode but I also removed the Wifi passwords in case I accidentally take it out of airplane mode. DJI cannot talk to my drone and I cannot talk to them. I just turn it on and it flies. No NFZ crap to deal with or second guessing if it will fly or not. Heck it even spun up the props 300 yards from a major airport.

And yes there are a lot of grey areas but we are not allowed to talk about them on this forum.

Being married a long time does not make one an expert on relationships. I have been married nearly as long as you. I was confused that you thought it was surprising that she would not trust him. Most women never trust men when other women from a mans past are in the equation.

Rob

Last edited:
Yes robbyg and I listened 4 months ago. Good thing I did because I don't have computer so a work around would be a pain, now I just fly with no worry.[emoji41][emoji23]

Reactions: Robbyg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661