DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATTI mode practice

BTW....I've said this before, but I highly recommend the Parrot Mambo for cheap ATTI mode practice. It doesn't have GPS, but it does have optical and ultrasonic sensors which makes it behave similar to the way the Mavic would if it had an ATTI mode. It's amazingly stable indoors. Parts are cheap and the thing is durable....and fun to fly.

LP

Tangential topic, but THIS makes no sense to me. If the drone momentarily loses GPS and the home point gets reset when the signal is regained, it defeats the purpose of RTH. I realize that RTH relies on GPS, but if you lose signal and have a fly away, I would be holding hope that at some point it would get signal back, realize it's disconnected from the controller and fly back to the last home position. If the home position is reset when it gets signal back, there's no hope. Seems like stupid design decision to me....

LP

The home point does not get reset if the aircraft loses and then reacquires GPS lock. It does, however, set the home point as soon as it first acquires GPS lock, and the case described here is presumably where it did not do that until it was out over the ocean.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
To practice in atti mode, just fly inside a garage with the visioning position mode and landing protection mode off. You will be in a full atti mode Thumbswayup

I like the Bugs3. Trained with it & still a blast to fly, can be had for under $100. Brushless & fast, no altitude hold or GPS just a stable fun, relatively cheap Quad to learn how to fly with so you know what to do when the Mavic slips into ATTI mode.

Amazing that with both comments, you haven't looked up what I said exactly -- ie USED. You've instead looked up the retail cost of the most expensive Inspire 1 Pro, and decided that what I said was inappropriate.

FYI, a used, V1.0 Inspire 1 can be had or around $1000...and the price for that is stable -- ie you can both buy and sell it at that price. Yes, you could get a used Phantom as well.. but if you're just planning to sell them after you get some ATTI practice, why not get the higher performance one?
He was pulling your leg. Don't take it seriously. :)

Tangential topic, but THIS makes no sense to me. If the drone momentarily loses GPS and the home point gets reset when the signal is regained, it defeats the purpose of RTH. I realize that RTH relies on GPS, but if you lose signal and have a fly away, I would be holding hope that at some point it would get signal back, realize it's disconnected from the controller and fly back to the last home position. If the home position is reset when it gets signal back, there's no hope. Seems like stupid design decision to me....

LP
The drone took off in ATTI mode when I made the flight. It never had GPS when it started. There was simply too much obstruction, and I knew what to expect of the drone in those connections.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
If you want to lean to fly ATTI mode...

I recommend learning indoors with a Horizon Hobbies Blade Inductrix or similar hobby grade quad. Unlike many toy quadcopter manufacturers out there it actually flies like a camera or sports quadcopter does.
1) Hold a hover with the quad facing away from you.
2) Fly from one spot to another and back with the quad facing away from you.
3) Fly from one spot to another and back with the quad facing the direction of travel.
4) Fly circuits.
5) Fly outside in very light wind so that you get used to counteracting wind drift. (anything more than very light wind and the Inductrix with fly off!!) repeat steps 1 to 4.

As you get comfortable, you will find that banking as you turn reduces drift in turns and will allow on the spot 180s

Gimbal cover does not adversely affect the cooling of the MP.

I seem to remember the User Guide suggesting it needed the cover off for cooling. Perhaps below 70 (my arbitrary number) the ambient temperature may cool the electronics but I for one am not willing to take a chance. If you want to, it's your choice.

Larry

Opened gimbal protector. No temperature issue

images

This looks like another option

/
If the vision system is active, this appears to put it into OPTI mode. Once I turned off all of the vision systems (forward, downward), it appears to be in ATTI mode. Does that sound correct? If so, this appears to be a foolproof way (without hacking the parameters as was possible with earlier firmware), to put it into ATTI mode, for practice. I'd love it if the experts weigh in on this.

That's not a foolproof way because without the parameter hack the aircraft will always be trying to locate a GPS signal. The sketchy part is if it's in an intermittent state and bouncing between a ****** GPS lock and ATTI. I think the only way to get the true ATTI experience is to have is to have the parameter hack setup to the Sport switch. This effectively pulls out any GPS or compass commands from influencing the flight controller.

I'd say if your not comfortable or unwilling to modify parameters then the best way is to get a cheap drone and practice ATTI that way.

That's not a foolproof way because without the parameter hack the aircraft will always be trying to locate a GPS signal. The sketchy part is if it's in an intermittent state and bouncing between a ****** GPS lock and ATTI. I think the only way to get the true ATTI experience is to have is to have the parameter hack setup to the Sport switch. This effectively pulls out any GPS or compass commands from influencing the flight controller.

I'd say if your not comfortable or unwilling to modify parameters then the best way is to get a cheap drone and practice ATTI that way.
Not at all, Sir. I made the mistake of updating to 04.100. I'm stuck with the aluminum foil wrap until someone figures out how to go back (or just enable the hacks on 04.100)
Good to know about the possibility of intermittent GPS lock though. Yeow! That would not help practicing ATTI.

Not at all, Sir. I made the mistake of updating to 04.100. I'm stuck with the aluminum foil wrap until someone figures out how to go back (or just enable the hacks on 04.100)
Good to know about the possibility of intermittent GPS lock though. Yeow! That would not help practicing ATTI.
The rolling back from 04.100 has been available, and documented in this forum, for over a week.

The rolling back from 04.100 has been available, and documented in this forum, for over a week.
Wow! A whole week? Where the heck have I been? Oh, I have a day job, lol.
I'll start hunting down the info on the rollback. Thanks again for the help.

I have flown several cheap drones in ATTI mode and, while they mostly handle in a similar fashion, I'd still like to be able to practice with my Mavic just in case the worst happens. Don't mind losing a £40 drone but reluctant to crash £1000 worth.

I have flown several cheap drones in ATTI mode and, while they mostly handle in a similar fashion, I'd still like to be able to practice with my Mavic just in case the worst happens. Don't mind losing a £40 drone but reluctant to crash £1000 worth.
I'd like the Mavic to have switchable ATTI mode .... AND full manual, as in my P2. Both are good fun.

I'd like the Mavic to have switchable ATTI mode .... AND full manual, as in my P2. Both are good fun.
Both are possible with parameter mods. That said, Manual would not be smart as it would damage the gimbal nor be able to track at the extreme pitch angles the aircraft would be capable of flying at. It would be nice if there was a way to shutdown the gimbal motors and use the gimbal lock.

Both are possible with parameter mods. That said, Manual would not be smart as it would damage the gimbal nor be able to track at the extreme pitch angles the aircraft would be capable of flying at. It would be nice if there was a way to shutdown the gimbal motors and use the gimbal lock.
Compared to the H33D on my P2, the gimbal on the Mavic is far more tolerant of extreme attitudes ... even though (obviously) it's not capable of maintaining stability during extreme pitch/roll.

As a result, after years of having to disconnect the H33D gimbal for "extreme flying" and compass recalibration of the P2, the concept of compass calibration on the Mavic with the gimbal remaining active, is still a weird concept.

Therefore, chances are you could leave the gimbal lock on for extreme flying, as you can for compass recalibration.

In a different thread I heard about another little drone good for practice flying (Eachine E58). The best part about this drone is that it looks and controls just like a mini-Mavic, so I think it will be especially good for training to fly a Mavic. I picked one up on Amazon for $80. Check out the video review. It's a great little drone to learn on.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying