DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attitude Indicator not aligning

Marty Markoe

Reactions
Site
www.martymarkoephotography.com
With the Mavic Pro i used for 2 years withh a Samsung S6, the red arrow of the attitude indicator never aligned with the front facing camera. In several instances with the drone being out of sight, manually flying home was disorienting.

Having purchased the Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller last March, initially the arrow wouldn't align. Read somewhere to calibrate the compass in the Smart Controller. Happily, this worked. That is until this past weekend when the red arrow for each flight was off by 90° at 270° compass wise. The drone's compass and IMU were calibrated.

Are others experiencing this? Does anyone have a permanent solution?

Marty Markoe
Part 107 certified

Sounds like you're getting magnetic interference. Make sure you're not powering up near strong electrical devices, metal or especially concrete. The rebar in concrete got me a few times.

Sounds like you're getting magnetic interference. Make sure you're not powering up near strong electrical devices, metal or especially concrete. The rebar in concrete got me a few times.
Sorry to hear you got interference off concrete with rebar. That was not the case with me as it occured launching from a wood deck and the ground in different places.

The map on the bottom left of the smart controller has two different displays, only one of them shows the direction in relation to you, are you using the right one?

With the Mavic Pro i used for 2 years withh a Samsung S6, the red arrow of the attitude indicator never aligned with the front facing camera. In several instances with the drone being out of sight, manually flying home was disorienting.

Having purchased the Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller last March, initially the arrow wouldn't align. Read somewhere to calibrate the compass in the Smart Controller. Happily, this worked. That is until this past weekend when the red arrow for each flight was off by 90° at 270° compass wise. The drone's compass and IMU were calibrated.

Are others experiencing this? Does anyone have a permanent solution?

Marty Markoe
Part 107 certified

I have the same issue - with Android devices, including the SC, on which I did compass calibration as well.
On the SC sometimes it's correct, sometimes it is entirely off.
It works perfectly on my iPad Mini 5.

Reactions: RogerMav

This is the compass in the mobile device reporting incorrectly, not aircraft compass interference, so it has no effect on flight - just the apparent orientation relative to the controller.

Sometimes this can fool people too....u think u are flying backwards or sideways when looking at arrow.... Ticking this setting will lock the map so orientation is correct....also if it is an android device if u go into google maps it will let u calibrate devices compass

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191017-011653__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20191017-011653__01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
I've yet to have an Android have a continuously accurate compass. Note too that we often use cases and other accessories with our phones that contains ferrous or magnetic material. That would affect the phone's compass, but nothing else.

Google Map may show accurate position when moving despite compass error because it can figure out your heading based on GPS delta.

Sometimes this can fool people too....u think u are flying backwards or sideways when looking at arrow.... Ticking this setting will lock the map so orientation is correct....also if it is an android device if u go into google maps it will let u calibrate devices compass
Great answer. The past few days there were severe wind gusts. Went out today and first thing, calibrated compass on Smart Controller. Started Mavic 2 Pro and the arrow was way off. Calibrated the drone's compass as a message in red was suggesting this. Still no alignment. Tapped the Radar box with the arrow pointing the wrong way and clicking the compass arrow than now appears in upper right did set the orientation properly. Did a test flight and pointing the map arrow at my position the drone came right back. Thank you.

Reactions: Mike4884
Great answer. The past few days there were severe wind gusts. Went out today and first thing, calibrated compass on Smart Controller. Started Mavic 2 Pro and the arrow was way off. Calibrated the drone's compass as a message in red was suggesting this. Still no alignment. Tapped the Radar box with the arrow pointing the wrong way and clicking the compass arrow than now appears in upper right did set the orientation properly. Did a test flight and pointing the map arrow at my position the drone came right back. Thank you.
No problem....yea pretty hidden setting not to many know about.... Bet it would solve a lot of headaches ?

Hi, In which application did you do this? "Tapped the Radar box with the arrow pointing the wrong way"

It's in the DJI GO 4 app itself. Tapping it toggles between north up and the direction that the controller is facing up, as detected by the mobile device compass. The latter mode is the problem if the mobile device compass is not reading correctly.

Reactions: RogerMav
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78