DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aukland Harbor bridge, drone forced to land. How??

Does anyone know the technology behind this story about a drone being forced to land in NZ? Was this NFZ in action?

Visitor fined after drone lands on Auckland Harbour Bridge - National - NZ Herald News

Yes I'd be interested too as I'm sure would others.

My concern would be how long before less savoury people start making this in to a compact and easily portable device that would allow someone to steal your drone right out of the sky, force it to land at a point of there choosing and off they go with your very expensive drone.

Jamming and capture of drones is going to become very very common, I predict. Not so much by unsavory characters, but police, stadium officials, construction contractors, wildlife conservators, building owners, and others who don't want drones invading their space.

The Whenuapai military base control zone extends nearly to the bridge so I'd say that is what he ran into. From what I heard it auto landed on the bridge due to the nearby airspace.

If someone else takes over control of your drone, then they take fully responsibility for what ever they do with it. If they land it on a major bridge that's their problem.

Reactions: Mavman
That's really stupid that it should simply auto land if it goes into a restricted airspace - unless if course he got several warnings that he chose to ignore.

What does the Mavic do in this circumstance? I don't seem to have any NFZ's listed anywhere near me to test, unless they don't set them up Australia (even the airport is not listed as a NFZ...). I would have thought two maybe three warnings then stop dead and only allow travel away from the zone. To auto land, as in this case, could be disastrous and way more dangerous than actually entering the NFZ.

Oh and for someone to take over your drone they would have to know and replicate your make and model and have a transmitter powerful enough to completely over rule yours then manually take over control. Apart from James Bond movies, I highly doubt you will ever see this happen. Unless of course governments mandate a universal command to order a drone to land and have every manufacturer forced to install it to every unit.

Reactions: Clinton1
Just guessing here. The command packets are encrypted, so it's hard to hijack the Mavic that way.

It seems to me they could force the drone to land by jamming both GPS and RC. That would leave the mavic in ATTI mode with no controller signal. With no commands, and no location data, the drone's best option would be to hover, and hopefully land when the battery got to 10%. The drone owner, perhaps, would be able to watch this via the video downlink.

Reactions: Dw911
I read some post some time ago on mavic fb group that this was a bug that were fixed with firmware update.... It said in the changeling that rth when in NFZ were added or fixed or something..... So this shouldn't be in the latest firmware. I was flying near NFZ few days ago and when I went to the "line" it was kinda like hitting a wall it just braked rather harshly
Than it just hovered untill I pressed some stick and went the other way. Of course I had to be sure so I did this few times, and yea, invisible wall....

Reactions: SeaComms
.. or he could have just effed up and flew it into the 4th lit pole on the LHS of the bridge. The rest could have been an rrrs covering exercise.

Fast forward to 3:50. What are the chances of a dashcam getting him hey!
This bridge is at least 3nm clear of the whenyouarehappy restricted area BTW.
What sort of drone is it?

Other people merrily fly around this bridge without getting shot down so I am calling BS on this one.

Reactions: geigy
Crashed and fell on the shoulder - big whoop.

Oh and for someone to take over your drone they would have to know and replicate your make and model and have a transmitter powerful enough to completely over rule yours then manually take over control. Apart from James Bond movies, I highly doubt you will ever see this happen. Unless of course governments mandate a universal command to order a drone to land and have every manufacturer forced to install it to every unit.

Thats what I though too, but if you read the story and if it's true, they made the drone land on the bridge, so if they could make it land on the bridge then I'm quessing they had taken control of the drone in some way (unless it was a tractor beam :) ) - and clearly removed control of the drone from the owner, otherwise he would have simply commanded his drone back to himself and we would not be reading this story - or am I missing something?

This "take over command" technology was at the CES show.... not new news, just not talked about.

Thats what I though too, but if you read the story and if it's true...
That is the big if.
Viewing the video, Ockham suggests it is far more likely a pilot error collision with the obstacle (lamp pole), caused it to crash land on the Bridge. Nothing more.

I am not for moment doubting that Take over technology exist. It is highly unlikely that it played a part in this particular event though. Especially when you run through a likely scenario as to how it could eventuate and how it might be executed.

1) Drone was not in or near a restricted area
2) Drone was not in a RTH when it crashed as was flying away from operators reported position.
3) How would the men in black even know it was there?
4) If they did, why command it to land on a bridge full of traffic ,instead of simply ditching it in the harbour?
5) If you inadvertently crashed on harbour bridge somewhere and were caught, would you consider allaying the blame?

In this instance, someone came up with a vaguely plausible reason, that diverted some of the blame from the operator and people ran with it.

If I was involved in this sort of technology to work against DJI products, I would be looking to issue the CSC command or its equivalent and have it fall like a rock. I would not be stuffing around with RTH or Land commands or trying to actually fly it anywhere.

That is the big if.
Viewing the video, Ockham suggests it is far more likely a pilot error collision with the obstacle (lamp pole), caused it to crash land on the Bridge. Nothing more.

I am not for moment doubting that Take over technology exist. It is highly unlikely that it played a part in this particular event though.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I would not disagree at all.... unless there is evidence they actually USED this technology I'd be skeptical as well... but maybe they just want you to THINK they can do this any time anywhere ;-) ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife