DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries warm after week of storage

JERM77

Reactions
Hello folks,

I wanted to see if anyone else has expetienced battery warmth after charging then storing for two weeks.

Charged my mavic pro batteries, 3 of them, two weeks ago. Packed in tight fitting lipo bags and inserted into a snug fitting pelican case.

2 of the 3 batteries felt pretty warm when I pulled them for the pelican and lipo bags, the last battery was cool to room temperature.

Could the button on the battery being depressed constantly do this? Could the lipo and pelican cases insulated this for more than two weeks?
Could the 3d printed battery contact covers I have caused this?

The batteries look fully charged. I'll preform a flight later today.

Should I be concerned? And other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Reactions: Tok Pilot
The batteries have entered self discharge, you should not store them fully charged for long periods of time , if you do after a preset period (default is 10 days) they will begin to self discharge them selves to below 65%, while this happens they will get warm, I suspect they have just started hens the lights have not dropped yet, by pressing the button you now have reset that timer and self discharge has stopped, you should fully charge them before you fly again. .

You can adjust the self discharge time in the Go App under the battery settings from 1-10 days.

You really should not leave these packs fully charged for any longer than 24 hours and fly them asap after charging.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
What he said - the only way to discharge energy statically is to throw off heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I do worry just a bit.... when you have 3 or so batteries in an insulated case I wonder about combustibility.... I pulled mine out and they were definitely warm!

Thanks guys! I'll make it a habit of not storing fully charged batteries.

Your batteries are auto discharging to prevent damage. My rule is I charge then fly. I don't charge unless I'm going to fly and if I do charge I make it a goal to discharge the battery at least to 50% within 3 days.

Reactions: Vilco and BigAl07
Hello folks,

I wanted to see if anyone else has expetienced battery warmth after charging then storing for two weeks.

Charged my mavic pro batteries, 3 of them, two weeks ago. Packed in tight fitting lipo bags and inserted into a snug fitting pelican case.

2 of the 3 batteries felt pretty warm when I pulled them for the pelican and lipo bags, the last battery was cool to room temperature.

Could the button on the battery being depressed constantly do this? Could the lipo and pelican cases insulated this for more than two weeks?
Could the 3d printed battery contact covers I have caused this?

The batteries look fully charged. I'll preform a flight later today.

Should I be concerned? And other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

RTFM (discharge to 20%)

Adventure is just bad planning

I had the same issue when I returned yesterday from being away for more than 10 days and this forum has really helped so thanks guys.

did a search and found this thanks guys, I just found out that my batteries are warm, will change my habits and only charge them prior to flying.

what is the best way to discharge them ?

here is how my batteries are stored, are those white dirt stoppers ok to use ?

Mavic Pro storage.jpg

what is the best way to discharge them ?

here is how my batteries are stored, are those white dirt stoppers ok to use ?

I either fly and discharge to whatever level, usually about 15 - 20% as for normal flights, sometimes if close flying I’ll let them go to 10%, but I worry a bit about leaving them too low.
If I’m concerned I’ll pop them on the charger to bring up to 1-1/2 to 2 bars charged.

You can just store them and let them auto charge.
The default is discharge after 10 days.
The lowest time period you can set them for is 5 days, that’s what I’ve set mine to.

AFAIK, the battery terminal guards are fine to leave on.

Thanks MSO, printed you reply, now in my case for future use.

I either fly and discharge to whatever level, usually about 15 - 20% as for normal flights, sometimes if close flying I’ll let them go to 10%, but I worry a bit about leaving them too low.
If I’m concerned I’ll pop them on the charger to bring up to 1-1/2 to 2 bars charged.

You can just store them and let them auto charge.
The default is discharge after 10 days.
The lowest time period you can set them for is 5 days, that’s what I’ve set mine to.

AFAIK, the battery terminal guards are fine to leave on.

I have set my batteries to discharge after 5 days. The last time I charged them I only got to fly one, so the other 2 packs stayed charged. Then I got sick and had no chance to fly. This was more than 2 weeks ago. when I checked the batteries they still showed full ( 4 lights)after 14 days. Although I am still sick, I went to hover the Mavic in the backyard until they got down to 60 %. This is actually a storage charge percentage for lipoly's.
I have been flying lipoly's for many years, and any good Charger has got that storage charge function in it.
Not sure why my 2 packs didn't discharge, but I would recommend anyone who puts them away fully charged, check them if they really discharge after the set period of time. I do not trust mine for sure.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Aeronut45, thanks for the feedback, that is something for me to keep an eye on.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+