DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery issues my proof and opinion

peterc4

Reactions
Hi All, the pics are of my battery today when i landed it had swelled and cracked as i picked it up the battery popped out, i am convinced this problem is the cause of the crashed 2 pros you see on this forum including my own last April, i think DJI i know and are ignoring it. This is the second one fror me since it was released maybe 3 including my loss the battery has had 53 cycles, would love to hear your thoughts20210417_151812.jpg 20210417_151807.jpg20210313_162857cq.jpg20210417_151758.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: RMS001
Battery swelling of the M2 batteries is a known issue. Let's face it, DJI is a Chinese company with a Chinese corporate culture. They won't do anything unless forced to do it. A swelling battery is a profit center for them. $150 for a battery that probably only costs $10 to make? It would probably take a class action suit to get them to do anything.

Here is what we know about the battery: We know that we can duplicate this by getting the Power Button soaked and that what happens is the Electronic Chip behind the Power Button mal functions and stop the Battery from Drawing down which causes the start of the swelling.

My thinking is that the Power Button is so susceptible to water that the Chip over all is a very weak part of the battery in general.

Thus dropping the battery, getting the battery wet, pushing on the power button to hard or even the battery being involved with a crash can affect that chip as well as sand and salt.

We now protect the Battery with a 3mm Neoprene air tight cover and treat the battery as a baby bird. lol
We also fully protect the Power Button and have not any issues since.
Overall its a bad design , with a very fragile Chip.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly our Mavic 2 pro in the Rain and land on Water.

Battery swelling of the M2 batteries is a known issue. Let's face it, DJI is a Chinese company with a Chinese corporate culture. They won't do anything unless forced to do it. A swelling battery is a profit center for them. $150 for a battery that probably only costs $10 to make? It would probably take a class action suit to get them to do anything.
Yes agreed when you have a lost drone they tell you to get lost politely and there is nothing you can do the way it is i suppose

Hi All, the pics are of my battery today when i landed it had swelled and cracked as i picked it up the battery popped out, i am convinced this problem is the cause of the crashed 2 pros you see on this forum including my own last April, i think DJI i know and are ignoring it. This is the second one fror me since it was released maybe 3 including my loss the battery has had 53 cycles, would love to hear your thoughtsView attachment 127645 View attachment 127644View attachment 127642View attachment 127643
There are a lot of potential variables that could affect the health & longevity of a battery:
  • What percentage are your batteries at when you land?
  • Do you let them cool down before recharging?
  • Do you store & transport them in a place that's within published operating temperatures (never leaving them in a hot car)?
  • Did you have an accident with the drone with this battery?
What do you think caused this?

My Mavic 2 Pro batteries (including the self heating ones from the Mavic Enterprise Fly More Kit) do not exhibit this or any swelling at all. Some of my Mavic Pro batteries swelled and became unusable when I left them in the car when on vacation; heat destroyed them - I was the root cause of their destruction.

Yes agreed when you have a lost drone they tell you to get lost politely and there is nothing you can do the way it is i suppose
Did you get the battery wet as @Phantomrain.org indicated as one of the known causes?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Battery has never been wet dropped left in a hot place or car i always land when i get my low battery warning or there abouts,
Thanks for the info. The low battery warning is configurable. What percentage do you the low battery warning set to?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Hi All, the pics are of my battery today when i landed it had swelled and cracked as i picked it up the battery popped out, i am convinced this problem is the cause of the crashed 2 pros you see on this forum including my own last April, i think DJI i know and are ignoring it. This is the second one fror me since it was released maybe 3 including my loss the battery has had 53 cycles, would love to hear your thoughtsView attachment 127645 View attachment 127644View attachment 127642View attachment 127643
I purchased the M2P late August 2018.Flymore kit not long after.Had 2 batteries swell at about 9 months old and less than 60 flights.Stored at recommended charge+temp.I believe there were lots of battery problems around that time.

First on I’ve seen with cracked top.... swelling gen occurs on the bottom of M2P batteries.
We’re the first two you mentioned from the known “bad lots” manufacture dates.
What does the bottom of the battery look like?

All swelling in LiPo batteries is caused by gas. The battery cells are squeezed under very high pressure during manufacture to remove as much air as possible before being sealed. If any gas remains or develops as a result of misuse it will expand as the battery heats while being charged or discharged.

The casing of the Mavic 2 Pro batteries leaves very little room even for mild expansion of the batteries and increasing swelling will cause the battery case to bulge.

The batch of batteries from July 2018, largely in the Fly More package, appear to have been of inferior quality most likely from insufficient removal of air ‘bubbles’, poor quality electrolyte or poor sealing and nothing to do with water.

As others, and the manual state, heat is the enemy of a battery that may have gas build up within it. Charging while hot, leaving it in a hot vehicle or in the sun too long is not good battery practice.

Unless a battery swells significantly during the 6-month warranty DJI are likely to do nothing more for the customer but will certainly have investigated the source of manufacture and worked to correct the issue or change supplier.

First on I’ve seen with cracked top.... swelling gen occurs on the bottom of M2P batteries.
the bottom is slightly bowed through swelling

That’s interesting. In 2 1/2 years on this forum I have not heard of any verified battery swelling caused by moisture
Swelling has nothing to do with moisture, as cells are well sealed and hermetic. More to say, if moisture could intrude inside the cell, that means it's already lose its tightness and there is nothing to swell, it could potentially cause overheating and fire then swelling.
Phantomrain just promoting his rainsuits literally for any Drone issue even it has nothing common with water.

M2 batteries are a bad design.
The M2 battery has nowhere to go if it swells a little.

They should have kept the slightly recessed back like the M1P / MPP battery, this allows for a little expansion when they are flown hard / higher ambient temps, etc.

Don't think they will ever admit fault here, they'll just make them obsolete like other model batteries (Spark, M1P / MPP), and the problem will gradually disappear as aircraft / batteries become aged and retired.

Yes the same happen to me I posted last month the battery popped out and it crashed it was just out of warranty sent it to DJI and for $650 DJI replaced it with a new one they are now replacing 2 batteries that has swollen at no cost they only had 32 charges (I hope they will be here tomorrow). I will not trust the batteries again to prevent it happening again I have put a plastic zip tire around the body by sliding the tire to the back you can remove and replace the battery and it does not interfere with the folding up of the arms

Attachments

• IMG_1386.jpeg
    IMG_1386.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1387.jpeg
    IMG_1387.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1388.jpeg
    IMG_1388.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
I found a cracked top on one of my three M2P batteries a couple weeks ago, and then noticed that all three were also soft and slightly swelled on the bottom. Batteries originally bought in early 2019. I now have three new batteries, which fit much better. Probably I was very lucky in flying for a while with the swelled ones.

It's good that drone landed safely.... already lost 3 Pro-2 batteries that came with combo due to swelling issue.. one of these auto deflated but i have kept it for ground operations like marking waypoints for a mission or updating Mavic 2 Pro or Controller in case of update came.... it's quiet long any update released for Mavic 2 Pro now.... seems all is going well now...

Reactions: Greenflash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21