DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Benefit to Register Mini SE with FAA?

JonnySteele

Reactions
My apologies if this has been posted before, but I just got my first drone "DJI Mini SE", and it's obvious under the 250g limit for FAA registration, but is there any benefit having it registered anyway?

Also, I've seen a few post saying that even though it doesn't require registration, I would still need to take the TRUST exam? Just trying to clear things up, I'm in Texas and flying for my own pleasure. Thank you.

The main benefit is if a cop asks you for the registration. Not all folks understand the <250g recreational registration exemption. It's a cheap hassle insurance policy. Plus, if you get another drone, you can use the same number on it.

The main benefit is if a cop asks you for the registration. Not all folks understand the <250g recreational registration exemption. It's a cheap hassle insurance policy. Plus, if you get another drone, you can use the same number on it.
Thanks, that was one thing I was thinking, reading some of the posts on here about the Karen's and kens not understanding the laws and harassing the drone pilots. I'm sure there are some local law enforcement that may also not be fully educated on the laws for all drone usage.

Sorry, strongly disagree with this....

That "cop" ASKING for REGISTRATION "should" KNOW the LAW ...
... one should NOT have to "pay extra" (reg FREE) to enjoy their EQUAL rights..... or not be "hassled" .... "cheap:" or not...
What "guarantee" is there, that such "cop" is going to "accept"(believe it's valid) your "registration", if such cop doesn't Know the Law to begin with ?

That does not "benefit" the pilot (or drone community) , it's more likely to "encourage" law makers to PUSH for REQUIREMENT.....

-------
ONLY reason to have it REGistered is for Part107....

Last edited:
It can just be used on more than one unit. Mini 2 might get a rid firmware update. Not sure though.

But add on modules aren't even readily available in the states yet, so it's hard to even get your hands on one.

After all that, the answer to your second question is: yes, you still need to take the TRUST exam. Simple, quick, easy and you cannot fail. If that cop asks you for proof you took it, better have it with you.

Reactions: djwak59
My apologies if this has been posted before, but I just got my first drone "DJI Mini SE", and it's obvious under the 250g limit for FAA registration, but is there any benefit having it registered anyway?

Also, I've seen a few post saying that even though it doesn't require registration, I would still need to take the TRUST exam? Just trying to clear things up, I'm in Texas and flying for my own pleasure. Thank you.
It seems like it doesn’t matter if you’re flying for your own pleasure or not. Also, you’ll probly have to go through the registration like all the others regardless of the mini sub 250 weight. It’ll probly

Yes. At least take the TRUST test , you’ll learn the basics and as far as I’m concerned anyway, if you’re flying for your “own pleasure “ that’s all any drone flyer should need. Now, there’s a lot of people who don’t really agree with that. But that’s my opinion.
IF you’re gonna want to make money flying, taking pictures or videos and selling them, THAT’S a totally different ball game, with lots more responsibilities.
Good luck and I hope you do have fun flying.

Reactions: Jam0ne
It seems like it doesn’t matter if you’re flying for your own pleasure or not. Also, you’ll probly have to go through the registration like all the others regardless of the mini sub 250 weight. It’ll probly

Yes. At least take the TRUST test , you’ll learn the basics and as far as I’m concerned anyway, if you’re flying for your “own pleasure “ that’s all any drone flyer should need. Now, there’s a lot of people who don’t really agree with that. But that’s my opinion.
IF you’re gonna want to make money flying, taking pictures or videos and selling them, THAT’S a totally different ball game, with lots more responsibilities.
Good luck and I hope you do have fun flying.
Please disregard my first post, I was actually trying to reply to someone else.

... one should NOT have to "pay extra" (reg FREE) to enjoy their EQUAL rights..... or not be "hassled" .... "cheap:" or not...
What "guarantee" is there, that such "cop" is going to "accept"(believe it's valid) your "registration", if such cop doesn't Know the Law to begin with ?

That does not "benefit" the pilot (or drone community) , it's more likely to "encourage" law makers to PUSH for REQUIREMENT.....

-------
Yes.

Reactions: Jam0ne

100% incorrect. Cops have 1000s of laws they need to know. There is no way a human being can know the nuances of each and every one of them. And drone laws are WAY down the list of things they need to worry about. The $5 insurance plan is a great option.

-------
We all have our opinions. Mine comes from working on the FAA training for cops. Where does yours come from? You obviously don't understand what cops do. And your forum name implies you are anti-authority anyway. So we need to take what you say with a grain of salt.

Reactions: okw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147