DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best backpack for hiking?

paulatkin73

Reactions
I looked up on Amazon but did not see anything nice. I like fly-more bag but would also like a proper mountain hiking backpack, ideally with a separate compartment for drone and accessories, with something providing protection - either a stirofoam, or plastic sections, not sure, and a second compartment for clothes, stuff, etc. Has to be very compact and ultralight. Cost under $200. Is there anything like that?
Rigidity is not critical as long as sections will provide enough protection, so you can fall on your back and not smash drone to pieces.

The problem you're going to find with 99.999% of most camera or drone specific "backpacks" is that the hip belt, if they even have one, is an absolute joke, and the hips are where you should be carrying most of the weight on a properly fitted backpack. I'm a huge fan of Osprey backpacks. What they lack in camera bag style organization they more than make up for in fit and comfort. When carrying my photography gear I just wrap extra lenses in an extra layer, or one of the Domke padded wraps I have. For the drone I'm looking for a small hard case for the drone, with the controller and extra batteries being similarly wrapped.

I would also like to add, I can not stress enough the importance of being properly fitted for a backpack. For short little day hikes "close enough" may be good enough, but as the weight in the pack and the distance of the hikes increases, you'll be glad you took the time to visit an outdoor retailer for a proper fit.

The problem you're going to find with 99.999% of most camera or drone specific "backpacks" is that the hip belt, if they even have one, is an absolute joke, and the hips are where you should be carrying most of the weight on a properly fitted backpack. I'm a huge fan of Osprey backpacks. What they lack in camera bag style organization they more than make up for in fit and comfort. When carrying my photogr short little day hikes "close enough" may be good enough, but as the weight in the pack and the distance of the hikes increases, you'll be glad you took the time to visit an outdoor retailer for a proper fit.
I absolutely agree with that. I was thinking like that initially, just to get a small special box for the drone and put it into backpack i have - not osprey, i got old North face one i like. But then i thought to get something dedicated... That is a benefit of asking on a forum, as i also was not sure if i will be able to use that specialized one.

What container you use for a drone?

Take a look at Osprey and Mountain Smith packs. I have a Osprey Day Plus when I only need to carry my Mavic Air. A mid size Osprey when a larger bag is needed and a large Mountain Smith for longer hikes. I am happy with all of them. Check out Amazon and Campmor.com .

Reactions: jsinon
I looked up on Amazon but did not see anything nice. I like fly-more bag but would also like a proper mountain hiking backpack, ideally with a separate compartment for drone and accessories, with something providing protection - either a stirofoam, or plastic sections, not sure, and a second compartment for clothes, stuff, etc. Has to be very compact and ultralight. Cost under $200. Is there anything like that?
Rigidity is not critical as long as sections will provide enough protection, so you can fall on your back and not smash drone to pieces.

I considered taking my Zoom cross-country skiing the other day and packed it into the flymore kit with two extra batteries. I had room in my Osprey daypack (don't know the model number - it's in the basement and I'm on the second floor) with most cold weather clothing packed (it was 24F). But I decided it was going to be too heavy. I think I need to either cross-country ski or fly the drone in a scenic locale but I'm too old for both on a longer day. Luck with have it, it was solid ice and stepping out of track to pass someone I went down on my back hard. My tailbone may not forgive me but I'm glad I did not have the drone under me when I fell. But I see your logic and wish you luck finding the right equipment.

I absolutely agree with that. I was thinking like that initially, just to get a small special box for the drone and put it into backpack i have - not osprey, i got old North face one i like. But then i thought to get something dedicated... That is a benefit of asking on a forum, as i also was not sure if i will be able to use that specialized one.

What container you use for a drone?

I've found that every single dedicated camera backpack I've tried didn't carry worth a ****. They're great for keeping my camera gear organized, but I only use the LowePro I have for short trips close to the car. Otherwise I use one of my real backpacks.

As for cases, on my hike last weekend I just packed my fly more bag in the backpack, which was a big hassle when it came to stuffing everything else, extra layers, down parka, snacks, water, camera lenses, etc. So I just ordered this one from B&H.

PGYTECHCarrying Case Mini for DJI Mavic 2

I use these to wrap spare camera lenses in, so I'll just wrap the controller in one of them and pack that in the pack too. As for the batteries, I'll stuff them in a spare glove, hat, extra base layer, whatever is handy.

Domke15x15

Sure it's not all nice neat and pretty with every piece in it's own compartment, but there's also little wasted space.

Reactions: globeguy1
that is actually perfect. thx!

That's what I thought! I figured the drone itself was really the only thing that needed much protection, so I wanted a small, rigid, or semi rigid case that I could easily surround with my extra clothing layers/down parka, while packing for a hike. And I love those Dome wraps. I have several in several sizes and colors that I normally use for protecting any extra lenses, that will be perfect for the controller(with levers removed) as well as the batteries.

I have seen some really nice camera backpacks from F-Stop I think it is, that wear/carry like a real backpack. BUT, they are really expensive, and all of those padded dividers cut into the usable space inside the pack itself. Again, I'll give up on the organization for the ability to pack as much gear in as little space as possible.

I also forgot to mention Osprey's excellent warranty. They'll pretty much fix or replace any of their packs for as long as you own it.

If the primary purpose of my hike is going to be focused on photography, I'm a fan of the LowePro packs. I've got a couple that are set up for DSLR cameras, and I've ordered the LowePro DroneGuard BP 250 for the Mavic Pro. I can't attest to much of anything about it yet, and bought it more or less based on reviews - it'll be nice to have a dedicated pack I can grab that holds everything including a laptop so I could get into postproduction work as well.. If it performs as advertised, I'll be a happy hiker!

lowepro_lp37099_droneguard_bp_250.html

For section hiking carrying normal gear, I'm a big fan of Osprey packs as well - they swallow up gear and it's easy enough to pack a drone where it can be protected (from rain as well) and yet be fairly accessible without emptying out the pack to get at it.

Reactions: Inspirephil
The Lykus backpack I bought for less than half the price of the Lowepro does the same job, at least for me anyway. I like the features that Lowepro has built in though, such as the front facing phone pouch, laptop pouch, etc.
But for me the Lykus does exactly what I need out of a backpack. And it comes with a rainproof cover!

Reactions: 747P4 and globeguy1
a proper mountain hiking backpack

Yes, as a bushwalker (what you call backcountry hiking over there) I suggest you'd just use your regular pack, with the above smaller case of choice you can put into the bottom compartment, or keep near the top, whatever works for you for access and need.

I simply wouldn't be taking my MP on decent walks, certainly day walks, maybe a weekender, but for multi week things, it'd just be too hard and no real options to charge batteries (and no, the largish battery banks are not suitable, nor a this stage are solar chargers capable enough yet).

On a weekend, I could fly 4 batteries no worries and get some decent value for the extra weight on my back ?
My MP kit in the Lowepro BP250 Droneguard weighs exactly 6.8kg (perfect airplane cabin weight), with most accessories and a GoPro Session 5, but I'd be harvesting that down a lot for a weekend walk.

If the primary purpose of my hike is going to be focused on photography, I'm a fan of the LowePro packs. I've got a couple that are set up for DSLR cameras, and I've ordered the LowePro DroneGuard BP 250 for the Mavic Pro. I can't attest to much of anything about it yet, and bought it more or less based on reviews - it'll be nice to have a dedicated pack I can grab that holds everything including a laptop so I could get into postproduction work as well.. If it performs as advertised, I'll be a happy hiker!

lowepro_lp37099_droneguard_bp_250.html

For section hiking carrying normal gear, I'm a big fan of Osprey packs as well - they swallow up gear and it's easy enough to pack a drone where it can be protected (from rain as well) and yet be fairly accessible without emptying out the pack to get at it.

I have this pack and love mine, but I could only do full day walks with it, not enough space for overnight needs of shelter / food etc.

A backpack is a personal thing. That what fits me, might not fit you. The best way to get the "right" backpack is to go to a store that know what they are dealing with and then try several backpacks with weight in it. They can help you to adjust the straps so it will perfectly fit your back and you can make longer tours with it.
Ofcourse, that will cost you some money, but then you have something you enjoy using.

the one i use now is this - thx to the hint above - i went to the the shop and liked it enough to get it, for $30 more than from amazon link below, but, you got to try it first to decide if you like it and how it sits on your back.

the ventilated back feature is wonderful and really works.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos