DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Zoom Beware of guy-wires

DJ Wes

Reactions
Site
www.litchiutilities.com
Beware of guy-wires when flying near tall radio towers. I planned a Litchi mission around this abandoned grain company building. I knew I would be flying near a couple of towers, but I didn’t anticipate flying so close to the guy-wires. I didn’t realize I had come so close during the flight. It was only after watching the footage that I realized how close I was to having a mishap.

That was too close :) Glad you missed it

Beware of guy-wires when flying near tall radio towers. I planned a Litchi mission around this abandoned grain company building. I knew I would be flying near a couple of towers, but I didn’t anticipate flying so close to the guy-wires. I didn’t realize I had come so close during the flight. It was only after watching the footage that I realized how close I was to having a mishap.

That was a close call! Wires are generally pretty brutal when you hit them too, they’ll mess you up.

I like the birds flying across the shot at the start of the video. That was pretty cool.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
Flying is 2,000 feet from guy wires if I remember.
😂 Seriously? Does the same rule exist for driving a vehicle within 2000 feet from guy wires?

Common sense tells me that my one tonne car might actually be able to dislodge/break a guy wire, so it makes some sense for my car to be banned from the area. Although 2000 feet is overkill, maybe just ban cars from driving within 50 feet of the guy wire, that would be adequate.

Wow ,I saw the tower in the back ground ,but guide wires are hard to see ,luck was on your side that flight

I might have been more worried about the pigeons!

Wires and tree branches.... they're out to get drones 😝... and they can be nearly impossible to spot on your live feed view!

I try to make a habit of spotting power poles, towers, cranes and similar objects that are likely to have aerial wires connected to them either prior to takeoff, or by doing an initial recce flight around the area before focusing on getting the shots I want. Even that isn't totally fool proof - I've flown full speed past a telephone wire and come within 0.5m of it without realising until afterwards.

Reactions: YVRGUY
My close call wasn't as close, but it was scary because I wasn't expecting guy wires here and didn't see them until I had been flying for a white. I was photographing this grain elevator. The wires are hard to see if you're not looking for them. I've marked a couple on this photo.

Attachments

• fm-1726-d.jpg
    fm-1726-d.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: YVRGUY
There has to be what I’m going to call, the Charlie Brown rule. That is, before your flight, especially in new unfamiliar areas have a good look at your surroundings…a real good look.

Yes, there are some parts of the video where a hundred or so birds fly across the front of the camera. These birds could be a heads up warning. I’m a retired sailor now, but, when I sailed off the coast of British Columbia Canada I always appreciated seagulls. Why? They would use large logs floating in the sea to rest upon giving me a great heads up to the oncoming hazard / obstacle. Couldn’t thank them enough.

I’ve contributed warnings in other posts the importance of look before you leap…especially regarding abandoned fishing gear (lines & hooks) left by irresponsible anglers.D9A4BA0C-7F7D-40F9-8F0B-E898DED3CFDF.jpeg
Osprey found dead dangling from an abandoned line and hook. These lines are like spider webs…easy to be missed. Of less importance of the Osprey’s demise…it could be your drone.

2125F902-6380-479D-922A-89536CF8743A.jpeg
Birds love power lines, guy wires, and tree branches…all potential obstructions that sometimes WE forget to look for when flying. Ask Charlie Brown…he’ll tell you some stories😵‍💫.

I’ve been guilty of NOT doing a complete flight path survey before I flew and having that “close call” Never again.

Thanks DJ Wes for letting me share your platform. Safe and fun flying🇨🇦👍

I breathed a low sigh (or a silo) near those wires.

Reactions: robowarner

Been there, done that. Thinking as I am leaving...what a great flight. Then realizing later it was very, very close to a disaster....

Thanks for sharing!

What drone are you flying? I like the little flight path map you showed, and I wasn't sure if that was part of the drone software or something you mapped out after the fact.

Thanks for sharing!

What drone are you flying? I like the little flight path map you showed, and I wasn't sure if that was part of the drone software or something you mapped out after the fact.
That was a Litchi waypoint mission. I was flying a Mavic 2 Zoom. The flight path/map that you saw is a snapshot of the Litchi Mission Hub that is used for planning missions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne