DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Big Birds in Area. Should I fly?

bimmer7

Reactions
Where I usually fly, there are not many big birds sightings. Occasionally, we see osprey, may be a hawk here and there, crows and the like. We do have bald eagles sighting on occasions too, but they are not within 2 miles of where I fly. My question is:

Should I fly at higher altitudes to avoid these bigger birds? If I fly (17-25 mph) across these areas at around 300-400 feet, will these birds ignore me? Or will I be chased and attacked and force to make drastic maneuvers? I have pine trees that tower to 100 feet, so flying low around here is not recommended. I will certainly be out maneuvered and less chance of survival at low altitudes with the Mavic even in sports mode.

Reactions: Icelandman
It's the little Starlings that intimidate my flights but they haven't made contact with my aircraft yet.

I fly with the prop guards just in case they would nick a prop during the flight.

Haven't had an encounter with the larger birds.

Usually an increase in altitude will thwart an encounter.

As posted flying up will save you most time but if your already
high you are putting yourself in a situation you might not be able to get out of. If a raptor really wants you it will have you.
Kinda depends on if it’s feeling threatened say during nesting or
if it’s hungry.

We have some eagles but lots of hawks but I stay away from them.
These birds around the Lock I fly at I pay no attention.
They just curious. When in Rome...

If you find you are dealing with eagles, beware... they are highly protected species and you could be accused of harassing them, and there are serious Federal penalties involved with that. It doesn't matter if they attack your drone, what matters is that your drone somehow bothered them.

In general, stay far away from raptors.

Reactions: WARRIK and RobertR
I wouldn't chance it.

giphy.gif

I have been flying in areas with hawks, vultures, seagulls, pelicans and lots of other smaller birds. Never had an issues. But I do try to not fly close to where they are circling most of the larger birds seem to be gliding while hunting and appear uninterested in the drone. I had a flock of seagulls pass by like they were in the opposite lane of highway. They did not even acknowledge the me.

Reactions: CarlsbadAL
Try to stay out of what they think is their territory. You need to see this OWL ATTACK that I recorded on my Ring Video Doorbell yesterday:

My experience is that usually in my neighborhood there’s eagles and hawks they will sometimes investigate the drone but then they are gone they sense that it is a machine

I live and fly in the Piney Woods of East Texas where there are many...well, pine trees. So, there are many different varieties of birds. I've flown around them all and had no problems. As one other drone operator mentioned, Starlings are the worst but even they have never actually attached my drone, just swarmed around it like in the one video attached to this forum thread. In the case of Starlings, I usually go higher so I'm well away from their nests which are usually under bridges or in other low places and that seems to satisfy them. I have noticed, most of the bigger birds, hawks and the like, seem to usually be circling one area, probably looking for food. So, I avoid that one area as much as I can so they don't think I'm competing with them. Just use your best judgement and you'll be fine. God luck.

I use to Fly around communications towers for inspection, many birds nests usually, no problem as long as I stay away from nests, sometimes they fly around my dron, curious about my noisy bird but never attack and let me work, they only attack if you are too close to the nest.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. The raptors in my area glide and circle around, and they do it quite high. About a month ago, I flew across the area under 175 feet. At first, I didn't see any birds. The area was large (similar to a golf course), and I was cruising at about <7 mph. I saw 2 large birds began to appear in the sky gliding around. I quickly kicked into sports mode and stick forward as fast as I could (but I didn't climb). I guess you can say I was big chicken and panic.

I was thinking that if I across this area again, maybe at <400 feet, I might reduce my chances of an encounter. Here in southeast Texas, these raptors are active in the fall season. I saw 2 to 3 big birds gliding and circling yesterday before I cancelled my takeoff/flight.

I would love to tangle with these guys (in my dreams of course) if only I have the skills and the equipment do it. ? And someone would have to film it for a good Youtube view. The nightmare is to see my drone get knocked out of the sky, and seeing the cache video of the horizon tumbling around like so many on Youtube drone crash compilation.o_O

Zero problems with lots of ravens and crows...Seagulls have me spooked however. They always look like they mean business.

Where I usually fly, there are not many big birds sightings. Occasionally, we see osprey, may be a hawk here and there, crows and the like. We do have bald eagles sighting on occasions too, but they are not within 2 miles of where I fly. My question is:

Should I fly at higher altitudes to avoid these bigger birds? If I fly (17-25 mph) across these areas at around 300-400 feet, will these birds ignore me? Or will I be chased and attacked and force to make drastic maneuvers? I have pine trees that tower to 100 feet, so flying low around here is not recommended. I will certainly be out maneuvered and less chance of survival at low altitudes with the Mavic even in sports mode.
I have a couple of times flown over Swans on a lake in the hope that they would be frightened by the noise and take off for me to film them. All they did was watch the drone fly low over them and carried on eating. I flew back over them and they ignored me! However, small birds are another matter. My drone has been attacked or rather threatened by Meadow Pippits and Oyster Catchers and a Whimbrel tried to get the drone. I now tend not to fly when there are birds around especially in the nesting season.

In southern AZ, Harris Hawks (which hunt in social family groups), red-tailed and other hawks will come near your drone and try to attack it. I had to land quickly once when a Harris hawk swooped at my drone (hovering only 20 - 30 feet up in the backyard taking some stills) and the bird landed in a nearby tree squawking loudly. Usually, I don't put my bird up in the air when I see that there are any raptors nearby. Be safe. Fly safe.
Mavic2 Pro owner.

Reactions: Icelandman

It Depends On The Bird.

Had a red tailed hawk fly by me one day pretty close while I was recording video and momentarily looked at my monitor to line up my flight path home. As soon as I saw the brown flash across the screen I immediately switched back to VLOS and started a rapid descent. He circled back around to a position above and directly behind my drone. He may have just been curious but I have seen a red tailed hawk harass an osprey before so I started to zigzag. The hawk appears in the video around 58 seconds.
See link Below
Red tailed hawk.
Since then I have practiced switching into Sport Mode to do rapid turns and descents.

Turkey Vultures on the other hand seem pretty much to mind their own business or go out of their way to fly around you.
Several days ago I saw a large number of turkey vultures trying to land in trees. Odd. So I decided to take my Mavic Pro out to investigate. I got some unusual video. At some points the turkey vultures actually seem curious about the drone.
See the Link below. The action peaks about mid way through.

Turkey Vultures Geese

I think higher altitudes like 300 ft. + actually attracts Raptors.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
It Depends On The Bird.

Had a red tailed hawk fly by me one day pretty close while I was recording video and momentarily looked at my monitor to line up my flight path home. As soon as I saw the brown flash across the screen I immediately switched back to VLOS and started a rapid descent. He circled back around to a position above and directly behind my drone. He may have just been curious but I have seen a red tailed hawk harass an osprey before so I started to zigzag. The hawk appears in the video around 58 seconds.
See link Below
Red tailed hawk.
Since then I have practiced switching into Sport Mode to do rapid turns and descents.

Turkey Vultures on the other hand seem pretty much to mind their own business or go out of their way to fly around you.
Several days ago I saw a large number of turkey vultures trying to land in trees. Odd. So I decided to take my Mavic Pro out to investigate. I got some unusual video. At some points the turkey vultures actually seem curious about the drone.

Turkey Vultures Geese

It Depends On The Bird.

See link Below
Red tailed hawk.

Turkey Vultures Geese

I live in Iceland and large birds are relatively rare! The little birds can be a real problem though!

Can you fly normally all the time with the prop guards?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe