DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird deterrence?

I skinned mine with a shiny metallic that I found on Amazon. So far nothing has happened, I even flew towards a flock of crows yesterday and they either ignored it or ran away. Couldn't tell.

Need to test it out in the ocean with Seagulls

Attachments

• IMG_4704.JPG
    IMG_4704.JPG
    819.9 KB · Views: 89
Dan thats what i'm after got a link for it maybe from your orders list on amazon?

I skinned mine with a shiny metallic that I found on Amazon. So far nothing has happened, I even flew towards a flock of crows yesterday and they either ignored it or ran away. Couldn't tell.

Nice! Does that effect your signal or control in any way being metallic?

As above I;m finding Swallows the most "playful" they seem to love flying along with the Mavic, the Mavic does kind of resemble a swallow! As mentioned above, sport mode & straight up seems to loose em but, they do come right back. If you look around where your flying no doubt there homes are nearby.

thats the one,just need to find a dealer in europe,amazon or ebay postage is more than the skin.grrrr.

Nice! Does that effect your signal or control in any way being metallic?

I don't believe there is any affect on signal or control, no problem with gets a GPS lock. I thought about this and using the iPhone as my basis of the test. I was able to tell how different metal objects placed next to the iPhone affected the compass, but placing multiple layers of this material next to, under and over did not affect the compass readings.

The one thing I did notice is that when I place the Mavic Remote next to the iPhone it did affect the compass, so I have made it a point to hold the remote with my hand extended out while doing the compass calibration

The one thing I did notice is that when I place the Mavic Remote next to the iPhone it did affect the compass, so I have made it a point to hold the remote with my hand extended out while doing the compass calibration
The sensors that read the position of the sticks are based on magnets. That is why DJI recommends leaving the remote a good distance away when calibrating a Mavic, and why mini iPads which have magnets in the edges work best with the home button on the right when fitted in the remote.

I've had a small fleet after me yesterday evening, black birds with white spot or stripe on each of their pointed wings, they bugged out quick with the vertical climb but soon came back with horizontal movement. Seemed mostly curious I didn't feel threatened enough to land.

9baccb28bf0aaf0d92580a69ac7d55ae.jpg

Maybe a predatory bird decal would deter them?

I like those,, where did you get them?

Swallows also swarmed my Mavic recently. I saw a flash accross my IPad screen so looked out to the Mavic and the suckers were on all sides of me. It looked like a ball of birds with the Mavic in the middle I thought a crash as coming it looked real bad. I went into sport mode and petal to the metal leaving them behind. That was a scary scary thing to see around your $1000 drone.

Birds have pretty poor vision believe it or not, they even crash into tall buildings because the reflection of the clouds on the windows makes it look like clear skies ahead. I'm wondering if they never bothered the phantoms because their white color closely resembles the sky compared to the much darker Mavic. Who knows though, the only bird I know about has 4 propellors. :)
No, they actually don't "have pretty poor vision". Most all birds can see amazingly well. (You try spotting a vole from 300 ft high while flying.)
Crashing into a glass window that is reflecting a sky is NOT an example of poor vision. It's another problem entirely.

No, they actually don't "have pretty poor vision". Most all birds can see amazingly well. (You try spotting a vole from 300 ft high while flying.)
Crashing into a glass window that is reflecting a sky is NOT an example of poor vision. It's another problem entirely.
Correct. They crash into windows due to reflections making it look like there is clear sky ahead

Reactions: Marko9219
Unfortunately, there isn't a single reason that bird hits happen. Some are predatory. A raptor of some species simply wants to eat your Mavic, because it thought it was another bird. Other times, it is a territorial attack. You simply got to close to the other bird or flew into territory it claimed. Other times, it is a defensive attack. You got too close to its nest. Other times it's purely an accidental collision. They turned left when you turned right, or whatever, but you both ended up in the same airspace at the same time unfortunately for you both.
Because there are so many reasons for it to happen, there will never be a deterrence that will work effectively all the time. You fly with the birds, you take your chances.
Me...I have a fluorescent lime-green skin from Decal Girl, with strips of holographic reflective tape added on it, and I cross my fingers and keep my eyes open. At least it doesn't look like a natural food source to a hawk or eagle, and it doesn't look like anything they would normally try to chase away. I have no false illusions though that anything I do will stop anything. I'm simply trying.

I've seen skins that actually look like feathers. I thought to myself "Brilliant! Make our Mavic look more like an eagle's lunch! No thanks!"
As to the recommendations of "eye spots" it might just work for smaller birds. Looking like a bigger raptor might scare them away. But, on the other hand, it might just as effectively TRIGGER an attack by a hawk or eagle who gets territorial about the newcomer in his neighborhood!

Do you have a link to this tape?

Has anyone had any luck getting birds to leave your drone alone, via a skin or paint job or any other method?

I NEVER had this issue with my Phantom - but for some reason, little birds love to swarm the Mavic like they're trying to scare it off. Flying in the same areas, even.

I'm looking at the various skins one can put on it, such as DJI Mavic Pro Skin - ACU Camo but I'm curious to hear first hand feedback on others who've (I hope!) solved the same problem. If a hot pink skin or flashing strobes gets the birds to go away day and night, I'll do it, those stupid critters aren't good for my blood pressure.
It's funny but never had an issue with birds when flying my white Phantom, Mavic Air, or Spark. But my Mavic Pro and my Parrot Anafi, (both dark colors) seem to attract them.

It's funny but never had an issue with birds when flying my white Phantom, Mavic Air, or Spark. But my Mavic Pro and my Parrot Anafi, (both dark colors) seem to attract them.
That might be it. I have the mavic air and it's a freakin' hawk magnet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying