DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird deterrence?

skiddyfisk

Reactions
Has anyone had any luck getting birds to leave your drone alone, via a skin or paint job or any other method?

I NEVER had this issue with my Phantom - but for some reason, little birds love to swarm the Mavic like they're trying to scare it off. Flying in the same areas, even.

I'm looking at the various skins one can put on it, such as DJI Mavic Pro Skin - ACU Camo but I'm curious to hear first hand feedback on others who've (I hope!) solved the same problem. If a hot pink skin or flashing strobes gets the birds to go away day and night, I'll do it, those stupid critters aren't good for my blood pressure.

Has anyone had any luck getting birds to leave your drone alone, via a skin or paint job or any other method?

I NEVER had this issue with my Phantom - but for some reason, little birds love to swarm the Mavic like they're trying to scare it off. Flying in the same areas, even.

I'm looking at the various skins one can put on it, such as DJI Mavic Pro Skin - ACU Camo but I'm curious to hear first hand feedback on others who've (I hope!) solved the same problem. If a hot pink skin or flashing strobes gets the birds to go away day and night, I'll do it, those stupid critters aren't good for my blood pressure.
If it becomes a real problem I just flip it to sport mode and try to get out of there as fast as I can.

Where I fly there are lots of egrets and they all group up and circle the Mav.

I usually move over above an open area and hover. They usually get bored after 10 seconds and fly off.

I did read somewhere putting a piece of reflective tape on top like those ones you see on fishing lures work.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
As many have said, just flyin' up vertically is usually enough, otherwise switch to sport mode and speed around: they'll get away by themselves, at least that's what robins and some crows do here. Other birds are nastier though, and that's why I bougth this new outfit, I hope it will help birds understand my Mav isn't one of them. And the Mav will be also easier to spot if I should lose it and have to look for it

Mavic Skin – Taxi

Well, I had this issue a lot with my Phantoms, when they were still white. Signal yellow and orange got rid of this problem for me. The mavic shouldn't be dark crow grey. I think a sticker set, yellow or orange, should do it. Flashing strobes during the day might even attract some birds, like crows, that are known to have a great interest in shiny flashy objects.

As many have said, just flyin' up vertically is usually enough, otherwise switch to sport mode and speed around: they'll get away by themselves, at least that's what robins and some crows do here. Other birds are nastier though, and that's why I bougth this new outfit, I hope it will help birds understand my Mav isn't one of them. And the Mav will be also easier to spot if I should lose it and have to look for it

Mavic Skin – Taxi
LOL That's a cool skin

Swallows swarm, even follow and fake strike if there anywhere near.

Any 'Bird of Prey' skins out there?

And what bird of pray would scare the most species?

Birds have pretty poor vision believe it or not, they even crash into tall buildings because the reflection of the clouds on the windows makes it look like clear skies ahead. I'm wondering if they never bothered the phantoms because their white color closely resembles the sky compared to the much darker Mavic. Who knows though, the only bird I know about has 4 propellors. :)

I would think that a set of eyes on top would help? I do have barnswallows circle by the MP,but never have a strike,and as soon as I climb vertically they leave.

I'm not sure what kind of birds they are but I've had a group of small birds fly circles around my hovering Mavic, getting closer and closer on each pass. Finally one of them got within about a foot and I had enough, so I took off after him and they all beat feet very quickly, squwacking the whole way. Also had a hungry hawk eyeing my Mavic from a few hundred feet above, but I guess they're smarter than the average bird because he lost interest very quickly.

-Joe

Reactions: fiftiesnut
A shiny chrome skin is what's needed.thatll scare them off but no one makes one yet.

I have more bird problems(crows ,seagulls,redtails are the norm(,but with the MP it seems like alot of smaller birds are coming out,even have hummingbirds coming out But I still disperse them the same way.I Go on the offence and attack. Seems to work.I actually believe they are coming for the sound of the MP

I've had a small fleet after me yesterday evening, black birds with white spot or stripe on each of their pointed wings, they bugged out quick with the vertical climb but soon came back with horizontal movement. Seemed mostly curious I didn't feel threatened enough to land.

9baccb28bf0aaf0d92580a69ac7d55ae.jpg

Maybe a predatory bird decal would deter them?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998