DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blue Zone - Authoization - Help

ccurry

Reactions
Real quick question. I just purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom, and wanted to fly it where I normally do. Well, this time there is a blue bow tie zone just touching the area I want to fly in. I try never to fly yellow zones (now blue I guess?) Anyways, if I do fly in that zone I would use the app to unlock it through verification, but is it ok to do this? Is there something else I should do? What is the correct protocol? Can I just unlock and fly with caution?

Any help would be appreciated. Most tutorials just say unlock and fly, but I want to be sure.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
The dark blue authorization zones are now aligned with runways. Yellow zones are simply a warning zone and do not require unlocking. Unlocking authorization zones will allow you to fly, but be aware of where you are (in close vicinity to air traffic). You still have to notify airports within 5 miles when flying as a hobbyist (in the USA). You should familiarize yourself with the new categories on the GeoZone map. This has all been updated recently.

The dark blue authorization zones are now aligned with runways. Yellow zones are simply a warning zone and do not require unlocking. Unlocking authorization zones will allow you to fly, but be aware of where you are (in close vicinity to air traffic). You still have to notify airports within 5 miles when flying as a hobbyist (in the USA). You should familiarize yourself with the new categories on the GeoZone map. This has all been updated recently.

Ok, so in order to fly in this area I need to call to get authorization first before every flight? Is that what an authorization zone is used for?

Attachments

• 3D1C8E53-27DF-4333-9E81-08B06C2AE686.jpeg
    3D1C8E53-27DF-4333-9E81-08B06C2AE686.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

Also when calling to get authorization do I need something in writing?

Also when calling to get authorization do I need something in writing?
As a hobbyist you need to call the airport if you are within 5 miles. They may tell you to not bother calling next time as long as you follow certain guidelines. You are required to call them to inform them of your flight; you do NOT need (or obtain) authorization from the airport, the authorization you are applying for is from DJI in order to let you lift off. That does not necessarily mean it is safe to fly or that the airport will not object to the flight. If the airport does object to the flight you can still legally fly, but you may be considered to be endangering the air traffic which could land you in a heap of trouble.

Clearwater AirPark has Class E airspace that begins at 700 ft above ground level. Under that lies Class G airspace. You should be limiting your flight to Class G. This airport is non-towered so you'll have to contact the manager.

capture_001_13012019_124223.jpgcapture_001_13012019_124900.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ccurry
As a hobbyist you need to call the airport if you are within 5 miles. They may tell you to not bother calling next time as long as you follow certain guidelines. You are required to call them to inform them of your flight; you do NOT need (or obtain) authorization from the airport, the authorization you are applying for is from DJI in order to let you lift off. That does not necessarily mean it is safe to fly or that the airport will not object to the flight. If the airport does object to the flight you can still legally fly, but you may be considered to be endangering the air traffic which could land you in a heap of trouble.

Clearwater AirPark has Class E airspace that begins at 700 ft above ground level. Under that lies Class G airspace. You should be limiting your flight to Class G. This airport is non-towered so you'll have to contact the manager.

View attachment 58675View attachment 58676
Thank you for the help, I just called them and they said it is ok for me to fly within that area as long as I keep it under 400ft, because all helicopters and planes fly well above that limit and they should not be flying below that ever. He also said maintain visual line of site and no need to call every time I fly either. So I guess I’m good to fly there? Sounds strange I don’t need anything in writing, but I doubt they would give me anything anyways for liability reasons. Anyways I guess that’s in then?

It sounds like you're all set. You'll still have to unlock any DJI-locked zones, though. It also would be a good idea to make a note of your call to the airport (and to whom you have spoken) just to keep on hand in case anyone asks. They generally will not issue anything in writing, since you are only required to inform them of your flights.

I wrote his name down, time and date. Unlocking seems pretty straight forward from the device. I’ve done it in the past with other drones. I appreciate your help and quick responses.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters