DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new Mavic 3 Cine disconnects and then flies into a tree!

cschreiner18

Reactions
My Mavic 3 Cine is less than 3 weeks old and today disconnected while only 20ft above me. I have the latest update and was in a wide open meadow out in the middle of nowhere eastern Oregon. My RC Pro controller completely froze. It showed a frozen image on the screen and none of the buttons worked, even RTH. I was left with no other option than to turn my controller off and reconnect. When I turned the controller off the drone immediately started RTH, and unfortunately I had just done a very tight flight a few feet above a creek that was winding and had overhanging trees on both sides. I had Advanced Optimized RTH enabled due to the overhanging trees and it seemed to be trying to retrace my flight, but it was going way to fast and clearly had no working obstacle avoidance and flew right into a tree overhanging the creek. Fortunately it didn't fall into the creek. This all happened so fast the transmitter didn't even have time to reconnect. I'm positive obstacle avoidance wasn't working because I was literally running behind it into the creek and if it would have even hesitated in front of the tree I could have grabbed it out of the air.

After dealing with several years of Mavic 2 disconnects, I thought I had done my homework and waited patiently until I thought the bugs were worked out of the Mavic 3. And I did buy DJI Care Refresh when I purchased it directly from DJI, but I'm not interested in sending my two week old drone in for repair after pulling that stunt, and I'm certainly not interested in paying a replacement fee to have it replaced. I'm also not interested in only replacing the drone if there's a chance it's the transmitter, so I'd really like to just send this one back and get a brand new Premium Combo OR... do I need to just return it and wait another 6 months or a year to see IF they can actually get the bugs worked out of this one?

I pulled the flight log from the controller and Airdata shows the flight right up to the disconnect, but nothing after that. Is there a
way to read the DAT files?

At this point, I'm kicking myself for not specifically Googling "DJI Mavic 3 disconnects" before pulling the trigger on buying one. I would have never bought it if I had. I just read the reviews after the latest update and was under the impression that the problems were mainly with the earliest released units. It's absolutely disgusting that this issue still continues with DJIs "Flagship" drone...

I opened a ticket with DJI service and of course I'm being told I need to send it in for service. Any advice on how to navigate from here would be very much appreciated.

There is probably no way to read the DAT from the drone or the controller.........unfortunately.
I think you would find that is the case with all the FLY app using drones.

If your Mavic 2 was/is an M2P/Z I think you will find that the drone's DAT is unreadable too.........but if you can read them PLEASE tell me how?

There is a lot going on, can you post the Data files and let some of the Guru have a look ,

Controller Froze
RTH started

Could you post a screen shot of where you were flying as you mentioned your Mavic 2 also having disconnects in that area.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on the Water

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31