DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BREAKING Flights at Gatwick Airport halted amid reports of drone flying in area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying that just popped up and you couldn't dismiss it?
You could not dismiss it - no ignore option, no close tab (X) option etc. If you failed to update, the app stayed locked on that screen.

But there was a workaround when I did a bit of research online at the time, but it was an attempt (poorly executed) by DJI to force an app update on users.

You could not dismiss it - no ignore option, no close tab (X) option etc. If you failed to update, the app stayed locked on that screen.

But there was a workaround when I did a bit of research online at the time, but it was an attempt (poorly executed) by DJI to force an app update on users.

Just to clarify - that was the Android version?

Yes - Android.

I'm not sure what to make of that. I've been using the GO app since the P3 and never seen a forced upgrade in software or firmware. I have iOS devices running a variety of versions (currently 4.07, 4.34, 4.39) and Android on 4.15, and I've never seen an un-dismissible upgrade dialog box like that. Were there serious bugs in the version that it was replacing?

Drone Guns hasn't the UK heard of them ???Screenshot_20181223-064255_Google.jpgScreenshot_20181223-064255_Google.jpg
Perhaps authorities there need to use Google Search every so often **

I'm not sure what to make of that. I've been using the GO app since the P3 and never seen a forced upgrade in software or firmware. I have iOS devices running a variety of versions (currently 4.07, 4.34, 4.39) and Android on 4.15, and I've never seen an un-dismissible upgrade dialog box like that. Were there serious bugs in the version that it was replacing?
If memory serves me correct - it was after the backdoor developer access was made public and DJI was attempting to coerce users into using harder-to-hack software that is unaffected by Coptersafe and other mods.

If memory serves me correct - it was after the backdoor developer access was made public and DJI was attempting to coerce users into using harder-to-hack software that is unaffected by Coptersafe and other mods.

Maybe. But back to the original issue - have you seen anything that looks like a forced update since then, or is this a one-off issue?

Yep..these incidents will mandate software/hardware locks on range, altitude and scheduled forced updates to ensure the pilot’s compliance with aviation rules. I wouldn’t be surprised if the drone required you to link it to your Part 107 license to unlock features for unrestricted flight.

I think as well as pilots, drones themselves also need to be registered and issued a unique ID which is linked to the pilot, in case the authorities bring one down and need to know where it came from (or if one fails and drops somewhere and someone finds it)

Maybe. But back to the original issue - have you seen anything that looks like a forced update since then, or is this a one-off issue?
I don't know to be honest, after that attempted forced update around July 2017,my drones got unlocked - I haven't needed to update them, but I haven't heard of anyone complaining of a similar forced update after ... So hopefully a once-off failed attempt, but time will tell....

I think as well as pilots, drones themselves also need to be registered and issued a unique ID which is linked to the pilot, in case the authorities bring one down and need to know where it came from (or if one fails and drops somewhere and someone finds it)
This is pretty much the model adopted by the FAA in the USA I believe - and it is what the CAA are proposing to introduce around October/November 2019 here in the UK. Like all things though, if somebody doesn't want to follow the rules, They'll most certainly peel off that reg' sticker before they fly!

Reactions: Mavic 57
Guilty in the court of public opinion!

But seriously, lawmakers are already using this incident as a reason for increased drone regulations.

Gatwick drone chaos: Man and woman arrestedView attachment 56544View attachment 56545
Part 1 ... Increasing the size of the exclusion zones isn't going to impact at all on the type of Denial of Service issue that we saw at Gatwick. It would not have mattered if the NFZ was 1 Km or 5 Km - it was broken by someone with the intent to do so ... So that one is going to take a lot to get amended!
In addition, DJI are doing us a favour here by already extending the NFZ's to include 'keyhole' extensions to the boundaries of airports to cover runway approach and departure routes. It won't take much to show that a 5Km change won't do much ...
Part 2 ... We (UK recreational Drone operators) already know that we will be required to sit an on-line 'test' (not yet defined), pay a license fee (not yet defined), and put a personal registration number on our drone (format - not yet defined!). We are ready for it, it's the Government and the CAA that need to get a move on ...

Reactions: old man mavic
This is pretty much the model adopted by the FAA in the USA I believe - and it is what the CAA are proposing to introduce around October/November 2019 here in the UK. Like all things though, if somebody doesn't want to follow the rules, They'll most certainly peel off that reg' sticker before they fly!

At the moment the CAA are looking to register pilots only, after these events I think this needs to be extended.

At the moment the CAA are looking to register pilots only, after these events I think this needs to be extended.
I'm not sure, but I think the FAA scheme allows registration / licensing of the operator, but you can associate several drones with the registration. You need to then put your unique registration code on each drone you own / fly. The way that I'd heard it, it was going to be much the same with the CAA scheme. ??

For many years, there has been a requirement to register motor vehicles, ensure that drivers are licenced and also that drivers don’t drive while pissed or drug affected - but everyday thousands of people ignore all 3 requirements.

Nothing will stop anyone who doesn’t give a rats about rules and it will only restrict us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard