DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broadcast Towers and Quads

Montypaks

Reactions
Is there a definite answer to the effect of broadcast Towers (cell towers, radio towers etc... Don't know the difference anyway) on quads.

I've seen videos of the quads moving past these towers with no harm... But I've also heard very few people blame these towers for mishaps. I've heard someone use these drones to do cell tower inspections as well...

Thinking about it technically, there should be no interference due to them being on completely different frequencies and I'm sure with how developed occcusync tech is... I'm pretty sure it'll be shielded somewhat and the rc and ac should be able to ignore all these other airwaves.

What's the general informed thoughts on this?
Part of my income stream I'm considering is to offer cell tower inspection services

Thanks

I believe your assumptions are right, I have flown to withing 50' at altitude of 175' with no effect. Actually facing a dish that was mounted 3/4 of the way up.

It all depends on the kind and quality of equipment on the towers.

First of all some towers have more equipment than cellular phone antennas. Sometimes there might be military, public wifi and other transmitters on there which might be in the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands.
Some bad quality transmitters or faulty transmitters could also leak harmonics on these bands.

So fly with caution and if you see interference avoid these spots!

YMMV, but I have no issue anywhere I go. I use my bird to inspect antennas on my local ham club's towers. We're colocated on two guyed cell towers, and one also on the sheriff's office tower. Otherwise, I throw up wherever might yield a fun shot.

Basically, anything outputting enough power could overwhelm the bits in your bird, regardless of operating frequency.

The safe option is to stay back, and watch your display for interference popups. Take your time, don't react to anything without pausing to carefully consider your plan of action. If you choose to get in close, be even more careful and deliberate.

Remember it's not just your bird that could get damaged. There could be a few hundred thousand dollars worth of equipment up there.

Reactions: superdave5050
I work for a major cell phone company and I'm a tower climber. I've flown around so many towers now with my phantom 3 pro and now my Mavic it's sickening. Not one issue "yet" but I have the company turn down some stuff when I climb in front or near microwave transmitters. Stay twenty or so feet away and have a bail out plan in case something goes wrong. Obviously don't hit anything because I may have to repair it and I'll be pissed....joking.

@Lifted Chevy Lol... So you're one of those guys with balls of steel that climb towers and cranes!! Well done Sir!!

This is a related and insightful watch:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair