DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken Mini 2 after crashing in to tree....and then down! Repairable?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all.
I did a Dronie and miscalculated where it was headed and crashed in to a 40ft high tree.
Thanks to the Find My Drone, I found it, could hear the beeps but couldn't see it. Minutes later, torrential rain and thunderstorm. I went back 24 hours later to see that it has blown to the floor and was damaged. Unbelievably, got it home and it took a charge and turned on. BOY these are made of stern stuff!

As you can see from the pics, old dronie is damaged. Please can I ask what to do now? Is this repairable?

P.S. Wanna see the footage from the crash??😊

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9729.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9729.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 60
  • thumbnail_IMG_9731.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9731.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Wow
Reactions: eva2000
it is repairable have you got care refresh ,or you could send it to a reputable DJI repair center,
or even if you have the skills and equipment, buy a new arm, that comes complete with motor and fit it yourself ,only downside it means opening the drone up and being able to solder ,

I'd say a relatively easy repair for any competent drone repair centre / individual with the skills.

Personally, I would go with OMM suggestion and get a quote from DJI (or check Care Refresh option if you have it).
Their repair prices are very often surprisingly low for (what should be) the best service.

Note, they might quote repair, and send a refurbished drone, that's their repair strategy, fix a bunch at some huge repair centre.

PS. you'd know if you bought Care Refresh at time of purchase, or shortly after, it's a process you choose when you buy, or take up within 24 or 48hrs (can't recall exactly) of activation.

Did you purchase it when you first had the drone

Ah OK, I did not purchase.
Right, I am up for contacting their repair centre - anyone got the details for the UK branch, please?

Ah OK, I did not purchase.
Right, I am up for contacting their repair centre - anyone got the details for the UK branch, please?

Google is your friend . . .

> dji wales UK repair service

Quite a few private repair biz options, and DJI Service Centres down the page a little.

go on the internet type in dji official repair centers UK
and a list will come up ,personally i would go with someone like heliguy ,or you can message DJI directly and open a repair ticket with them

If the drone IS NOT under warranty and if you have a decent soldering iron and can solder, it is a fairly easy repair. The arm comes off the black & silver thing after removing the screws (two) in the top and bottom of the arm. DO NOT lose those screws they might be stepped two threads 'specials', I have encountered such screws in one drone but can not remember whether it was a Mini 2 or a Mavic 2 Zoom.
The "black & silver" thing is the actual pivot.
The 'cheap' repair would be to then screw the pivot back onto the drone's body with a drop of glue applied to each of the three screws.
HOWEVER I would not recommend that, for two reasons,
1) the pulling of the three screws out of the drone's body almost certainly stripped the female thread from the holes in the drone's body, this would mean that the replaced screws are less secure.
2) it looks as if at least the lowest screw hole has cracked and that the crack has extended into the drone shell.

I would replace the main shell.
It is not difficult and maybe a couple of hours work. I did this with a bought-as-scrap Mini 2 that had similar damage to both rear 'arms'.
If you try it, PHOTOGRAPH everything as you dismantle it, ESPECIALLY the wiring.
When reassembling, the wires MUST be soldered back onto their original contacts and the photographs help with that and the correct routing of wires.
It probably took me 3 to 4 hours to repair the drone but I was going slow and careful.

If the drone is under warranty and you wish to retain the warranty a DIY repair would be inadivsable.

Last edited:
Hi all.
I did a Dronie and miscalculated where it was headed and crashed in to a 40ft high tree.
Thanks to the Find My Drone, I found it, could hear the beeps but couldn't see it. Minutes later, torrential rain and thunderstorm. I went back 24 hours later to see that it has blown to the floor and was damaged. Unbelievably, got it home and it took a charge and turned on. BOY these are made of stern stuff!

As you can see from the pics, old dronie is damaged. Please can I ask what to do now? Is this repairable?

P.S. Wanna see the footage from the crash??😊
I'd definitely like to see the footage from the crash!

:cool:

Reactions: Yaros and Buel
Quick one - I seem to see that DJI don't have any repair centres in Europe?!!??

Ha!!!! Oh go on then......
Future tip, never go backwards on a drone especially one without any obstacles avoidance. If you must l, then make sure it's in clear line of visual sight that you can see what's behind it with your own eyes.

Alternatively, find your end point, turn around then go forward, reverse the footage in post. It'll seem fine provided there's not things like traffic or flowing water that would be more noticible backwards.

Reactions: Buel
Future tip, never go backwards on a drone especially one without any obstacles avoidance. If you must l, then make sure it's in clear line of visual sight that you can see what's behind it with your own eyes.

Alternatively, find your end point, turn around then go forward, reverse the footage in post. It'll seem fine provided there's not things like traffic or flowing water that would be more noticible backwards.
This is excellent advice!!!

Reactions: Yaros
I seem to see that DJI don't have any repair centres in Europe?!!??
Strange. When I crashed my Mavic Air 2, I sent it to Netherlands repair center using Care Refresh, I don't know if they are only for Care Refresh, but I think they repair drones too. Contact DJI directly and see what they say.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS