DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Building a new PC. Thoughts?

It has been a couple years but built this one for gaming which only uses one core anyway.
Asrock Z270 Extreme4 motherboard
Intel i7-7700k running at 4.5GHz
Nvidia GTX 1080 with 8GB of ram
Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB
SSD Samsung HD103SJ 500GB
SSD Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB
EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V1 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W power supply
Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2X NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans (Brown)
ASUS VG245H Console Gaming Monitor - 24"
ASUS ROG Strix XG27VQ 27” Curved Full HD
Windows 64bit Pro

I use Filmora9 for video editing with no problems

Put your money into a water cooled video card that will support four monitors. Preferably using Display Port technology. A motherboard that will will handle many 1TB M2 drives. A water cooler for the cpu. Mount with silver paste.

I'm putting two M2 1TB drives in there... #1 for boot, #2 for a working scratchpad drive. So I create a new project on #2, bring all the working video there, finish, them copy to rotating media storage. That's my plan anyway.

It has been a couple years but built this one for gaming which only uses one core anyway.
Asrock Z270 Extreme4 motherboard
Intel i7-7700k running at 4.5GHz
Nvidia GTX 1080 with 8GB of ram
Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB
SSD Samsung HD103SJ 500GB
SSD Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB
EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V1 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W power supply
Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2X NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans (Brown)
ASUS VG245H Console Gaming Monitor - 24"
ASUS ROG Strix XG27VQ 27” Curved Full HD
Windows 64bit Pro

I use Filmora9 for video editing with no problems

Here's where I'm at. Not in a major hurry, but will likely pull the trigger this wkend.

1600385862323.png

Here's where I'm at. Not in a major hurry, but will likely pull the trigger this wkend.

View attachment 113238
You did see that my CPU is a whole gig faster then the one you picked?
16 cores... why?
To each there own..... but you can test it to see how many cores you are using.
Gaming only uses one core.
How many cores are being used during Video editing?
Mine only has 4 cores and had no problems.
I had 6 machines running 4 cores in the High school video editing classes and the vid card was more important then cores.
They ran every kind of software you can image.
I know because I installed them and yes also Adobe.
I would not pick any CPU that was not doing at least 4GHz.
But hey..... You will have more cores so you can do more then one thing at a time but slower than mine.
But what do I know..... It is just my opinion.

16 cores... why?
I had 6 machines running 4 cores in the High school video editing classes and the vid card was more important then cores.
But hey..... You will have more cores so you can do more then one thing at a time but slower than mine.
I agree. That’s not the CPU I would have picked.

16 cores... why?

• If your processor is faster, congrats! I'd like to get a fast one too.
  • I don't game. But modern games (last 10 years) use all multiple cores. For example, the playstation 3 (I know, not a computer) had 8 cores (or similar). Game machine.
  • Regardless of how many cores are used today, it will change tomorrow. That's guaranteed. The latest AMD processor has 64 cores. It's parallel processing - all that's required is the software is written to use it.
  • My new PC won't be slower than yours. Haha.
You seem offended somehow. Not sure why.

Or I would have just gone all out and did the 24 core threadripper and gotten rid of some of the other stuff. Like what do you need 64 TB of storage space for? And honestly 2 monitors is enough. Things start getting funky after 2. I have three but stopped using the third because it was just getting in the way more than helping and Windows 10 starts getting confused after 2

• If your processor is faster, congrats! I'd like to get a fast one too.
  • I don't game. But modern games (last 10 years) use all multiple cores. For example, the playstation 3 (I know, not a computer) had 8 cores (or similar). Game machine.
  • Regardless of how many cores are used today, it will change tomorrow. That's guaranteed. The latest AMD processor has 64 cores. It's parallel processing - all that's required is the software is written to use it.
  • My new PC won't be slower than yours. Haha.
You seem offended somehow. Not sure why.
I am not offended but I do my "homework" on a system before I make one.
Like I said before if you want to buy it then it is your money but I was never believe the marketing push for so many cores.
They gave up trying to make them faster for giving you more cores.
Here is more info....
From Adobe..... Optimizing your system for Premiere Pro and After Effects
From another..... How Many CPU Cores Do You Need? - Logical Increments Blog
Good luck with the three monitors.... Been there done that.

Last edited:
New system running, open frame on dining room table (wife not happy). Ripping fast, wow. I'm running Resolve on it and scrubbing through 4k video is flawless. Did a quick render last night - sooooo much better than my old i7 machine.

I got a Gigabyte Aorus x570 motherboard (not what's in list above). It has a "performance boost" feature in the BIOS that will automagically boost processor clock speeds (and volts) for single-core apps. Not sure that does anything for me on Resolve, but I can see it going up to 4.2Ghz during benchmarking (from it's quiescent 3.5GHz speed). I was going to mess with overclocking, but might not do that now.

Look at these drive read/write times. Amazing. I have one of these M.2 PCIe 4.0 drives for boot, and one for working files.

1602387503471.png

And honestly 2 monitors is enough. Things start getting funky after 2. I have three but stopped using the third because it was just getting in the way more than helping and Windows 10 starts getting confused after 2
Good luck with the three monitors.... Been there done that.

I've had 3 monitors for 5 yrs. One of them is vertical. Not one single problem ever. At this point, 3 is a min for me, more would be better. I do electronic design for a living and this computer is used primarily for that. I can fill the screens pretty quickly.

Or I would have just gone all out and did the 24 core threadripper and gotten rid of some of the other stuff. Like what do you need 64 TB of storage space for? And honestly 2 monitors is enough. Things start getting funky after 2. I have three but stopped using the third because it was just getting in the way more than helping and Windows 10 starts getting confused after 2
I'm kind of curious, how does Windows 10 get confused after 2 monitors? I use 3 every day on my Windows 10 box. No issues at all with Windows. Is it an issue with the display not being rendered correctly or with how the OS is handling the arrangement of the displays?

I'm kind of curious, how does Windows 10 get confused after 2 monitors? I use 3 every day on my Windows 10 box. No issues at all with Windows. Is it an issue with the display not being rendered correctly or with how the OS is handling the arrangement of the displays?
For me it was the OS not handling the arrangement of displays properly.

I will have issues where, for instance, I click a drop down menu on one screen and the options will actually show up on another screen. At first I just think the program isn’t responding and it takes a few minutes for me to realize it’s coming up on another screen. Of course if I move the mouse to the screen with the options to choose from it will minimize the options and not allow me to choose.

It’s possible my issue was that I was using screens with different aspect ratios. I work with spreadsheets a lot so I have two displays that are 21:9 and a monitor that is 16:9 for video and photo editing.

For me it was the OS not handling the arrangement of displays properly.

I will have issues where, for instance, I click a drop down menu on one screen and the options will actually show up on another screen. At first I just think the program isn’t responding and it takes a few minutes for me to realize it’s coming up on another screen. Of course if I move the mouse to the screen with the options to choose from it will minimize the options and not allow me to choose.

It’s possible my issue was that I was using screens with different aspect ratios. I work with spreadsheets a lot so I have two displays that are 21:9 and a monitor that is 16:9 for video and photo editing.

yea I’ve one application that does something weird like that. Drop down list that shows up on next screen. I’m sure it’s a matter of a misbehaving app, and not the OS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb