DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buy Mini 2 now or wait?

GeorgieDrone

Reactions
I know the Mini 3 is about to be released but though impossible to know for sure I fear, that it will be far more expensive then the Mini 2. Your thoughts, predictions?
I could wait and see what happens to the price but does anybody remember what happened to the price of the Mini 1 when the Mini 2 was released? Did it go down substantially or even the opposite ( supply dries up and demand rises the price).

Nobody knows exactly when Mini 3 will be released.
Mini 3 will be more expensive than Mini 2 for sure.
When Mini 2 was released, Mini prices remained the same.

Do you own any other drone? If yes, waiting could be an option. If not, you'll be waiting for months without flying at all. All this knowing you are going to pay more for your new bird no matter what. It's a personal choice.

The speculation over what this drone might be like is that, just speculation. As above, it may be months before it is release, if at all, then again it could be later today lol.
Even if it is real, given the troubles of the M3 I would not buy one with its moulding still hot from the 'presses'. Let others serve as DJI's testers/Guinea-pigs and then maybe buy when the bugs have been irradiated.

If you are currently grounded and 'bursting' to fly a "Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". If you are not grounded then I, for one, would wait, I must admit the images showing mouldings either side of where the camera will probably sit has me curious.

I am wondering if they could possibly be intending to release the drone as an FPV with no gimbal roll? I didn't see screw holes for camera mounting in those mouldings but..... .
I doubt it but the question is in my mind what is the purpose of those mouldings? If they are protection for the gimbal rather than mountings, does this mean that the gimbal is even more susceptible to damage than that of the existing minis?

Last edited:
Reactions: orionshooter
The speculation over what this drone might be like is that, just speculation. As above, it may be months before it is release, if at all, then again it could be later today lol.
Even if it is real, given the troubles of the M3 I would not buy one with its moulding still hot from the 'presses'. Let others serve as DJI's testers/Guinea-pigs and then maybe buy when the bugs have been irradiated.

If you are currently grounded and 'bursting' to fly a "Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". If you are not grounded then I, for one, would wait, I must admit the images showing mouldings either side of where the camera will probably sit has me curious.

I am wondering if they could possibly be intending to release the drone as an FPV with no gimbal roll? I didn't see screw holes for camera mounting in those mouldings but..... .
I doubt it but the question is in my mind what is the purpose of those mouldings? If they are protection for the gimbal rather than mountings, does this mean that the gimbal is even more susceptible to damage than that of the existing minis?
One of the things that thru many of us off was the open camera design, made no sense and how short the new Mini 3 design was showing to be , On top of the fact that the sensors were in way of the back of the drone, Just a few things that sent some red flags up that the Mini 3 might not be a legit design.

Phanntomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Faster
I'd bet new/retail prices on the 2 might be just slightly cheaper, and used prices will take a lot bigger hit. If prices linger at around the current price for the mini 2 once the 3 is released then I'll probably just go for a certified refurb mini 2 fly more. In the mean time, you can find cheap, slightly used mini 1 fly more combo's to hold a guy over/learn to fly (like in my case). Ultimately lookin forward to a mini 3 release so I can grab a cheaper mini 2 heh.

I know the Mini 3 is about to be released but though impossible to know for sure I fear, that it will be far more expensive then the Mini 2. Your thoughts, predictions?
I could wait and see what happens to the price but does anybody remember what happened to the price of the Mini 1 when the Mini 2 was released? Did it go down substantially or even the opposite ( supply dries up and demand rises the price).
My guess is that the Mini-3 will be priced around $600 for just the basic kit...drone, controller, one battery.

That would give them a "symmetrical" Mini line-up:

Mini SE $300
Mini-2 $450
Mini-3 $600

Just a random numerological guess!

;-)

TCS

I'd be ecstatic if the Mini-3 had FPV capability. Highly likely that I'll buy one if it does!

:)

TCS

Don't all DJI drones have "FPV capability"?
Or are you perhaps thinking of automated banked turns.
A no roll FPV gimbal is a bit of a liability is side winds, you can see this by switching a normal Mavic gimbal to FPV mode.

Don't all DJI drones have "FPV capability"?
Or are you perhaps thinking of automated banked turns.
A no roll FPV gimbal is a bit of a liability is side winds, you can see this by switching a normal Mavic gimbal to FPV mode.
I've started setting all of my Mini-2s to their limited FPV mode. The motion of the drone doesn't change, but the motion of the camera does.

I like it better. It's more like flying an airplane. There may be some photo ops where I'll want it in the normal mode, but the FPV mode is my new default.

TCS

Still reading April release so at this point I would put off a purchase just to see how it pans out, you may still decide to get the mini 2 but a month goes fast so might as well wait

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911