DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying a new laptop for editing, advice needed.

JonnyBenson

Reactions
Reactions: Dronix
Get a tower for editing would be my advice

You can get towers capable of 8k so it'll piss 4k
Processor speed is as speced unlike laptops, ability to have more ram for quicker processing of stored data

Reactions: Rbruz
Get a tower for editing would be my advice

You can get towers capable of 8k so it'll piss 4k
Processor speed is as speced unlike laptops, ability to have more ram for quicker processing of stored data

Thanks for the reply.

I've thought about a tower and some other people on here have also suggested it, but unfortunately its not convient for me.

You have an opinion on the MSI laptop?

"This means that enjoying 4K video playback complete with HDR visual quality is effortless. "

But it does not have a 4k screen.... so what good is "4k video playback".

You don't need a 4k screen to edit 4k... you just won't see it in 4k. That graphic card won't be able to handle 4k display anyway.

If you want to edit 4k I'd recommend removing the HDD and installing a SSD. Install the HHD in an external housing and use it for external storage. You are going to spend another $120 or so for a SSD drive.

The laptop would edit 1080 video just fine. I'd recommend the SSD card if you wanted to edit 4k video.

"This means that enjoying 4K video playback complete with HDR visual quality is effortless. "

But it does not have a 4k screen.... so what good is "4k video playback".

You don't need a 4k screen to edit 4k... you just won't see it in 4k. That graphic card won't be able to handle 4k display anyway.

If you want to edit 4k I'd recommend removing the HDD and installing a SSD. Install the HHD in an external housing and use it for external storage. You are going to spend another $120 or so for a SSD drive.

The laptop would edit 1080 video just fine. I'd recommend the SSD card if you wanted to edit 4k video.

Ok here's my main problem. The company i work for are offering 20% off laptops for one week starting Fri. But there doesn't seem to be many others in my price range apart from this one. **** it!!! :mad:

* i should add i can only get it from that store.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am currently using a HP Envy 13 to travel with as it's so compact and slim. I can edit 4k stuff with no problem, it gets very hot when rendering but that's it. Got it off eBay for 400 ish

If you get the right spec it can have a i7 and a 2.7k res screen.

I am using the i5 120gb 2.7k though and it's still good

Reactions: JonnyBenson
Hi,

I am currently using a HP Envy 13 to travel with as it's so compact and slim. I can edit 4k stuff with no problem, it gets very hot when rendering but that's it. Got it off eBay for 400 ish

If you get the right spec it can have a i7 and a 2.7k res screen.

I am using the i5 120gb 2.7k though and it's still good
Thanks. I'll look into that one.

It's a different type of laptop completely to what you linked. I needed small, portable powerful and cheap

The MSI laptop looks much higher specced so would be fine, albeit the HDD

It's a different type of laptop completely to what you linked. I needed small, portable powerful and cheap

The MSI laptop looks much higher specced so would be fine, albeit the HDD
I'm way out of my league. Some people say specs are enough, others say different.

Ok here's my main problem. The company i work for are offering 20% off laptops for one week starting Fri. But there doesn't seem to be many others in my price range apart from this one. **** it!!! :mad:

* i should add i can only get it from that store.

It's a good laptop... I was just commenting that the description did not appear to be 100% correct. It should edit 1080 just fine with plenty of power. It will edit 4k but in some cases, might be a little choppy. At some point in the future, just spend $100 and add an SSD.

How much are you going to be editing and to what level I guess would be a good start.

If your doing a few videos here are there and not worried about maximising export and rendering times, the specs I'm running cope with 4k, so I cant see why the MSI one would have any problems. The only but back I have to make is to watch playback in 1/16th resolution or 1/8th to get it running most smoothly. May be the same with the MSI laptop

I am running Premier Pro CC , this could differ with other programs.

It's a good laptop... I was just commenting that the description did not appear to be 100% correct. It should edit 1080 just fine with plenty of power. It will edit 4k but in some cases, might be a little choppy. At some point in the future, just spend $100 and add an SSD.
Thanks, i appreciate the advice [emoji4]

How much are you going to be editing and to what level I guess would be a good start.

If your doing a few videos here are there and not worried about maximising export and rendering times, the specs I'm running cope with 4k, so I cant see why the MSI one would have any problems. The only but back I have to make is to watch playback in 1/16th resolution or 1/8th to get it running most smoothly. May be the same with the MSI laptop

I am running Premier Pro CC , this could differ with other programs.
Thanks for the advice. Well i'm i total newbie to editing at the moment and i've only attempted 4 so far. So until i'm up to speed (which could be a while) i'd like to edit at least 2 a month.

And i'm currently running the free version of DaVinci Resolve.

I would recommend either one of the Dell XPS models...13" or 15". I have the 13" with 4k touchscreen and it's a workhorse for sure. I couldn't be happier with it. Great, comfortable design, excellent battery life, and the screen is just amazing! Best part is that the footprint of my 13" is about the same as a MacBook air.

In fact, there seems to be a growing trend of MacBook Pro users switching to XPS machines because of their considerably faster rendering times.

That MSI laptop doesn't seem to have an SSD. Its quoted 1TB and i think its an old style standard hard drive.
Personally i wouldnt touch a non SSD computer these days, the performance increase is incredible.

That MSI laptop doesn't seem to have an SSD. Its quoted 1TB and i think its an old style standard hard drive.
Personally i wouldnt touch a non SSD computer these days, the performance increase is incredible.
I'm more confused than ever. Some say its good enough, others not [emoji20]

I'm more confused than ever. Some say its good enough, others not [emoji20]

Define "good enough" though. Some people are happier than others regarding delays and times. That covers a huge range. An SSD is the single biggest thing you can put in any computer system to speed it up. Loading times for the OS reduced to seconds, apps and games appear instantly and so on. Loading large video files or raw files from disk to edit are 20-30x quicker than with a normal drive.

A standard HDD will work but is much slower for any task that involves reading or writing from a disk.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78