DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Software Recommendations for an older laptop (Intel i7-7th gen)

RandomGuy

Reactions
I know from using the search feature that the questions of "what software" comes up with regularity. Davinci Resolve seems to be the most recommended choice, however, it does not seem to get along particularly well with older/limited systems, mine included. To be honest, at the "beginner" stage of editing where I am, it is probably overkill anyway.

Currently I am running a MSI gaming laptop with the following specs:

Intel i7-7700HQ @ 2.8 GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX1060 6GB, 1TB drive and 256GB SSD running Windows 10

I've added a 1TB SSD on the Thunderbolt 3 dedicated to video and photos.

I've been looking at PowerDirector and Filmora but would love to get recommendations as all I've ever used is the old Windows Movie Maker.

I'm mostly looking to upload to youtube and/or other hosting sites to be able to share with friends and family scattered about the planet. (I currently have no plans to get my Part 107 and commercialize anything.)

I appreciate any advice and/or recommendations and apologize for yet another "What software" thread.

RG

Last edited:
Reactions: Trevor C
Filmora is what I've been using for a few years. I like it because it's quite simple and has enough features for me. It would smoke on your computer as I have about the same specs on my laptop.

Reactions: RandomGuy
I use Sony Vegas on a 3rd generation i5 with 16gb ram and am happy with the performance. It would be smoking fast on your machine!

I know from using the search feature that the questions of "what software" comes up with regularity. Davinci Resolve seems to be the most recommended choice, however, it does not seem to get along particularly well with older/limited systems, mine included. To be honest, at the "beginner" stage of editing where I am, it is probably overkill anyway.

Currently I am running a MSI gaming laptop with the following specs:

Intel i7-7700HQ @ 2.8 GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX1060 6GB, 1TB drive and 256GB SSD running Windows 10

I've added a 1TB SSD on the Thunderbolt 3 dedicated to video and photos.

I've been looking at PowerDirector and Filmora but would love to get recommendations as all I've ever used is the old Windows Movie Maker.

I'm mostly looking to upload to youtube and/or other hosting sites to be able to share with friends and family scattered about the planet. (I currently have no plans to get my Part 107 and commercialize anything.)

I appreciate any advice and/or recommendations and apologize for yet another "What software" thread.

RG
Windows Movie Maker. You already have it on your system. Just stick with butt edits or simple cross dissolves and tell a coherent story. Your hardware is just fine. YouTube among others have free music you can add.

Windows Movie Maker. You already have it on your system. Just stick with butt edits or simple cross dissolves and tell a coherent story. Your hardware is just fine. YouTube among others have free music you can add.
Windows Movie Maker was discontinued 4 years ago. There is a simple video editor built-in the Microsoft Photos app that comes with Windows 10.

For thousands of royalty-free music tracks, check out Eric Matayas's soundimage.org library that he posted in this thread.

Reactions: JackL and RandomGuy
Windows Movie Maker was discontinued 4 years ago. There is a simple video editor built-in the Microsoft Photos app that comes with Windows 10.

For thousands of royalty-free music tracks, check out Eric Matayas's soundimage.org library that he posted in this thread.
I really did love windows movie maker. I moved to Vegas when it was discontinued!

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I downloaded the trial version of Filmora and discovered that, for some reason, it crashes every time I attempt to export a project. I deleted and reinstalled a couple of times with no luck then proceeded to download PowerDirector and it ran perfectly! I'm going to give a couple of other programs a spin just to cover my bases, but right now, PD is in the lead.

Reactions: Tufargon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian