DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAA Registration

No, they don't. It is, however, the only scenario that would make sense if someone who had passed the competency test was flying a drone without the registered operator present in order to avoid unnecessary aggravation - not generally a good idea when the police are involved. If that individual is challenged by the police, to ensure full legal compliance a suitably informed member of the police would need to establish:
  1. Whether the Operator ID is correctly displayed on the drone
  2. Whether the Operator ID is valid
  3. Whether the pilot has passed the competency test
  4. (Potentially) whether the pilot is authorised to fly the drone by the Operator
Buried in the CAA's blurb is the fact that the first two can be achieved by contacting the CAA (no online apps yet) and passing on the Operator ID, and a cross-check could also be made by asking the flyer to confirm the details provided by the CAA. The CAA should also be able to confirm the third on the same call *IF* the pilot can provide their Flyer ID, which in most cases should be sufficient - there's probably either going to be a friendly "fly safe", caution, or an arrest at that point. If one of the latter two, then contacting the Operator can happen whenever.

If the Flyer ID isn't available, then that's going to involve the Police calling the Operator to confirm the pilot is authorised and competent, e.g. additional hassle for the police officer, and less likelihood of getting away with a verbal warning if there was a potential breach of the law.
The email I received from the CAA with my Operator and Flyer details said to always take your flyer ID with you when you go out flying. You may be asked to show it to a police officer or other official.

Much better offer from drone user magazine printed credit card size plus holder and lanyard plus 3 sets of op stickers for drone. See www. Drone user magazine.co.uk

Just ordered 2 of the previously posted cards from eBay. Forwarded my CAA confirmation email. Bonus is some of the cost goes to charity. Bought a DYMO label printer and a yellow label roll from ALDI for about £20. So now I can do as many labels as required and label other stuff too. Now I’m looking at liability insurance. Thinking about joining FPV-UK, anyone else a member or have any suggestions on this?

Reactions: old man mavic
Just ordered 2 of the previously posted cards from eBay. Forwarded my CAA confirmation email. Bonus is some of the cost goes to charity. Bought a DYMO label printer and a yellow label roll from ALDI for about £20. So now I can do as many labels as required and label other stuff too. Now I’m looking at liability insurance. Thinking about joining FPV-UK, anyone else a member or have any suggestions on this?
i used to belong to the BMFA no issues with them other than the cost ,so i decided to join FPV UK a lot cheaper and still with third party insurance cover to boot

i used to belong to the BMFA no issues with them other than the cost ,so i decided to join FPV UK a lot cheaper and still with third party insurance cover to boot
Seems like a plan then. I was initially surprised at the price but seems good. A lot of the places I want fly and take photos require insurance and risk assessments. That’s something I’m looking into also.

Hello where did you get yours from like the idea of the photo.
Hi, the eBay seller is called " theprint.ninja" - I think they are the only ones who offer the photo id option. Mine arrived within 48 hours and is very professional looking.
Showed it to a local plod I know and he was well impressed - he said its a shame its not part of a national scheme so that all constables are aware of the legitimacy of the codes shown. Also that such a card would make the life of a constable ( and the flyer ) much easier during a "stop". Needless to say he knew nothing of the process of registration, an exam or indeed how to follow a "stop" up etc etc. He did comment that one of these is MUCH better than just a piece of paper.

Yep, I did the same - £20 annual membership with a good 3rd party cover. Cover drone came in at £120 per year but also included insurance on the drone, controller, cables and my tablet - the small print seemed ok too, just had exclusions for obviously mental flying.

Yep, I did the same - £20 annual membership with a good 3rd party cover. Cover drone came in at £120 per year but also included insurance on the drone, controller, cables and my tablet - the small print seemed ok too, just had exclusions for obviously mental flying.
ive got the DJI cover on the drone. Hopefully I’ll not get a fly away loss.

ive got the DJI cover on the drone. Hopefully I’ll not get a fly away loss.
Thats fine for 1 year, but I would definitely suggest 3rd party insurance as well. Better to be 100% covered in case the SHTF - also helps in the unlikely event of the UK plod spotting you. My way of thinking is a £7 printed licence from eBay, £10 pm 3rd party AND equipment cover is "affordable" in covering your butt. The more who do it properly might just offset the barmy army out there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S