DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone recommend a (cheap) Android tablet that has a bright display and will run DJI Fly?

Of course, "certain positions", always the one you are in! :D :D That plus the screen is small enough already (same 5.5" as my wife's tiny widdle iPhone MINI) so having it turn into a mirror is a PITA. That being said, I did order it with the new remote and also bought a 2nd hand RC231/RC-N1 for cheap because it's highly likely I'll go back to my iPad Mini 6 with the RC-N1 and sell the new remote when demand goes up which had no issues with a cheap sunshade over it on my previous Air 2 and that tiny screen isn't easy to see detail with my 74yr old eyes and fat fingers trying to poke 2 dots to get a menu !!! (sorry 'bout the run on sentence!)
There is more than one bundle for the Mini 3, no remote, RC-N1, or one with the DJI RC... So if you already have a RC-N1, get the Mini 3 without any remote for $669.. Yeah, no version of this drone is cheap, but I think the specs and the reviews are pretty good so far..

What about a lesser Samsung phone, like A21. I use that without SIM card. Not expensive, reasonable screen size and bright enough, at least so far.

Reactions: RotatingBirds
I have a Motorola One 5G Ace that runs Fly w/no issues. I added an anti-glare (matte) screen protector, and sometimes use a screen hood. I get by okay.

My Motorola smartphone's display isn't great under bright sunshine, even a shade over it doesn't help much. Because of this I'm thinking of buying an Android tablet that can be seen clearly in direct sunlight (if there is such a thing) - it doesn't have to be a new model, I'm even fine buying second hand as it'll only be used with DJI Fly.

Any suggestions please?
Swap your phone over to an Apple. I run Fly for an Air 2 on an iphone 11 Pro (in a Lifeproof rugged case, with a straight through Lightning cable plug) and have a small inexpensive sun hood which I rarely use. The screen is great and obviously very portable, plus it gives me all of my smartphone apps. I have read good reports using an ipad Mini 5, also. 👍😎🇳🇿

Been using a Samsung A 8 2019 for DJI fly, WiFi only. You can pick them up for around £90 on Amazon warehouse deals. 32gb with 2gb of ram running Android 11. Display is pretty bright but still needs a hood in bright sunlight. Other than that it works fine.
iI have been using the same one for 2 years. Costco has it on sale right now, I believe for about $139.

My Motorola smartphone's display isn't great under bright sunshine, even a shade over it doesn't help much. Because of this I'm thinking of buying an Android tablet that can be seen clearly in direct sunlight (if there is such a thing) - it doesn't have to be a new model, I'm even fine buying second hand as it'll only be used with DJI Fly.

Any suggestions please?
I just got some distressing news from DJI support - I have a Tripltek 8 tablet, super bright 1200 nits, massive 12,200 mah battery, has been working great for 6 months, all of a sudden Fly app says "RC not connected to aircraft", and it just disconnects and reconnects over and over (May 3). DJI says my android tablet is "not supported" and they "recommend for flight safety using a supported phone" (my iPhone still works ok, but can turn off when it gets too hot, and not nearly as big or bright as the tablet, so I guess that isn't really a "safety issue?). My tablet cost about $700, which seems like wasted $, if I can't get it working again. I think maybe there was an issue with the kernel update on the tablet, and not sure if I can figure out how to roll it back. It just bugs me, DJI seems to be trying to force me into buying their RC Pro controller.

None of these options are cheap, all I can suggest is to ask these questions before you buy something that might work fine, until it doesn't any more.

I just got some distressing news from DJI support - I have a Tripltek 8 tablet, super bright 1200 nits, massive 12,200 mah battery, has been working great for 6 months, all of a sudden Fly app says "RC not connected to aircraft", and it just disconnects and reconnects over and over (May 3). DJI says my android tablet is "not supported" and they "recommend for flight safety using a supported phone" (my iPhone still works ok, but can turn off when it gets too hot, and not nearly as big or bright as the tablet, so I guess that isn't really a "safety issue?). My tablet cost about $700, which seems like wasted $, if I can't get it working again. I think maybe there was an issue with the kernel update on the tablet, and not sure if I can figure out how to roll it back. It just bugs me, DJI seems to be trying to force me into buying their RC Pro controller.

None of these options are cheap, all I can suggest is to ask these questions before you buy something that might work fine, until it doesn't any more.
Hello David,

Contact [email protected]. It seems you have a cable or USBc connector issue. We will help you out with the issue

Swap your phone over to an Apple. I run Fly for an Air 2 on an iphone 11 Pro (in a Lifeproof rugged case, with a straight through Lightning cable plug) and have a small inexpensive sun hood which I rarely use. The screen is great and obviously very portable, plus it gives me all of my smartphone apps. I have read good reports using an ipad Mini 5, also. 👍😎🇳🇿
The new sdk will not support apple devices. So it wont work with 3rd party apps in the future.

The new sdk will not support apple devices. So it wont work with 3rd party apps in the future.
SDK for which drone? I have not seen any news release that suggests that a DJI drone will not fly via a fairly recent Apple iphone or tablet. I did a Fly update for my Air 2 on my iphone 11 Pro this month; no problems at all. 👀

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard