DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly at PPS schools?

WWW1221

Reactions
I have been wondering if I can fly at a PPS school with permission from the school. Also, I was wondering if anyone has a good source for local and state drone laws. Also does anyone have any good places to fly?

Last edited:
Hello from the Crossroads of America WWW1221

I have been wondering if I can fly at a PPS school with permission from the school.

Even if they gave permission, it's up to you to determine if the school is in airspace that may restrict flight due to airports, etc?

Check out the ALOFT or AIRMAP apps before you fly to check conditions in your area.

That'll take care of the airspace you're flying in, now it's about the property in which you launch from and that's a local thing you'll need to find out.

Property owners, parks, etc. may restrict flights from the property.

Here's a link that may help with Oregon drone laws.

If you haven't done it yet, you should take the TRUST test to keep a copy with you when you fly.

And of course, register the aircraft with the FAA if it's needed.

I fly at my local school after hours with zero activity (practice, events) and I haven't had a problem yet.

YRMV.

Good luck with your research and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Last edited:
Oregon Laws opens a can of worms. The FAA says they own the airspace from the ground up and no one shall make laws to the contrary.

Wonder how high you have to fly before it doesn’t harass or annoys someone??

I have done all that but it is hard to find resources are there any places that have a lot of the laws?

City of Portland​

Prohibits the use of any remote-controlled aircraft on or over any of the city’s parks outside areas designated for such activities by the Director
can they say this I thought the FAA can only regulate air space

They can say it until you challenge them. Then pay attorney fees, etc.
I mentioned it before on here that I am a snowbird in Illinois that winters in NW Florida. 20 min away is Gulf Shores, AL. Absolutely no drone flying. I was on the beach there visiting when they were searching for a swimmer about 2 - 3 hundred yards out. I offered to get my drone. The cop looked at me and said drones are not allowed!!! Go figure.

City of Portland​

Prohibits the use of any remote-controlled aircraft on or over any of the city’s parks outside areas designated for such activities by the Director
can they say this I thought the FAA can only regulate air space
My understanding is they don’t control air space but they can control where you can take off and land.

Come over to Central Oregon! Lots of wide open spaces. I am in the Bend/Sisters area. One problem is..... it was only ONE DEGREE this morning! Short flights for sure...

I have been wondering if I can fly at a PPS school with permission from the school. Also, I was wondering if anyone has a good source for local and state drone laws. Also does anyone have any good places to fly?
pilotinstitute.com has all states laws on their site.

I asked permission to fly at our local school district. they have no problem as long as school is not in session or any outdoor sporting events are going on. I have done video of the Marching Band with permission after explaining to the School officials that I know the FAA rules. They have been pretty good to me about flying. We did have an incident at one of the football games were someone was flying a drone and over people that has since caused them to tighten the rules.

Here is one photo I tool that the school that they use now for their Sports Facebook page.

1671296752137.png

Reactions: MA2 317 and SethB
Generally, the city of Portland is pretty restrictive on operating within parks and schools. So is Metro, which also operates local parks.

If you have permission from school administration and are conforming to airspace restrictions you’re good to go! Since Portland’s airport is actually within city limits there is a lot of restricted airspace in N and NE Portland. The LAANC system works for rec pilots, is free from some providers, and is pretty easy to use.

On the other hand it’s not hard to get out of town - the THPRD park district covering Beaverton, Hillsboro, Aloha, Tigard, etc. is mostly open for flying when using common sense about disturbing other park users.

THPRD also has a park area designated for drone use off 185th, That’s the west end of Arnold Park, enter from 184th.

Also, look up Meldrum Bar park in Gladstone, drone use is grandfathered in because the park was designated for RC hobbies a long time ago.

Otherwise, in Portland proper, it’s catch as catch can. People are flying in all sorts of out-of-the-way spots.

Reactions: RevSteve
Generally, the city of Portland is pretty restrictive on operating within parks and schools. So is Metro, which also operates local parks.

If you have permission from school administration and are conforming to airspace restrictions you’re good to go! Since Portland’s airport is actually within city limits there is a lot of restricted airspace in N and NE Portland. The LAANC system works for rec pilots, is free from some providers, and is pretty easy to use.

On the other hand it’s not hard to get out of town - the THPRD park district covering Beaverton, Hillsboro, Aloha, Tigard, etc. is mostly open for flying when using common sense about disturbing other park users.

THPRD also has a park area designated for drone use off 185th, That’s the west end of Arnold Park, enter from 184th.

Also, look up Meldrum Bar park in Gladstone, drone use is grandfathered in because the park was designated for RC hobbies a long time ago.

Otherwise, in Portland proper, it’s catch as catch can. People are flying in all sorts of out-of-the-way spots.
I have permission from the school it's self is that ok?

I have permission from the school it's self is that ok?
The property owner (the school) gives permission means it’s OK for you to be on their property, that’s good, but it’s not enough.

That leaves you with finding out if FAA restricts that airspace.

What school? You can get the B4UFly app (link) and know if the airspace is restricted.

Also take take the TRUST training at trust.pilotinstitute.com (link) which will help you understand airspace and what you need to do to fly legally. A TRUST certificate is required for all recreational pilots in the U.S.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman