DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian drone law

Do you have a link to the new rules and you no longer need to be licensed or have it registered?

You have to notify Transportation Canada each and every time you intend to fly?
There actually are no "New Rules" yet . . . till they are published for public comment sometime next summer, maybe earlier but likely later. Then we all have a month or two to comment/object to them before they become law. Right now there are only a lot of "proposed" regulations floating around as "Committee Reports" and "Committee comments" and what I typed above are the key "ideas" i see expressed in the ones I've seen. . . the ones that might matter to Mavic pilots if you are recreational or commercial.

A subtlety here is these "exemptions" . . . like the ones for under 1kg . . . are for those who individuals who are casual flyers . . not serious photographers or commercial operators. Anyone who plans to use drones/UAVs on a regular basis, I expect will have to join the aviation community and get qualified/licensed in some way. Once Transport Canada is convinced you know enough about aviation maps, aviation frequencies, Domestic Airspace Classification, (ATC) Air Traffic Control, NOTAMS (Notices to Airmen) and a dozen other topics, they will grant you a license like any other pilot and you will be integrated into aviation so you can do what you want within reason. My prediction is . . the biggest fight will come when UAVs successfully lobby for dominance of the low level airspace (under 500ft) and the rest of aviation has to abide by new rules that keep them out unless THEY are taking off or landing.

So all this noise about regulations and laws are like bicycle riders wanting to ride around anywhere they want without restriction and the government pushing back to keep you away from the busy streets unless you show you can behave responsibly and not get in the way of cars and trucks.

Keep in mind the new regulations refer to UAV specifically. A UAV is defined as an aircraft being used for commercial purposes. Since I am a hobbyist, my aircraft is referred to as a Model Aircraft as as such is exempt from those rules.

I shopped a fair bit last april 2016 and found the best option is The Magnes Group Insurance . . . you are supposed to get a special group rate if you are a COPA member . . . but I always was a COPA member. It was better than other insurers but not sure what they charge if you are not. (Canadian Owners and Pilots Association). It's a national organization and now reaching out to include UAV owners and pilots. Advocating FOR UAV pilots is new for them but they are pushing back on overly strict regulations and advocating for more rational approach to flight safety and reasonable freedom for their use both privately and commercially. Annual membership is $60Cdn.

If you join, you get their monthly Magazine and can keep up on stuff like regs and laws as well as. You get a physical copy and a digital copy is available on-line.
Full disclosure I help run the Sarnia Chapter "Flight 7". We have monthly meetings and other fly-in events as well as workshops and dinners all year. I work with some guys in Ottawa who are just now rolling out a UAV outreach program for 2017. You learn a lot about aviation by just hanging around or flying with other pilots. . . COPA had a booth at the International UAV Conference in Toronto last month and this year there are going to be more UAV/Drone events with COPA participation. Not just for guys either, women encouraged too.

Thanks I'll check COPA out!

iPhone 6S

I shopped a fair bit last april 2016 and found the best option is The Magnes Group Insurance . . . you are supposed to get a special group rate if you are a COPA member . . . but I always was a COPA member. It was better than other insurers but not sure what they charge if you are not. (Canadian Owners and Pilots Association). It's a national organization and now reaching out to include UAV owners and pilots. Advocating FOR UAV pilots is new for them but they are pushing back on overly strict regulations and advocating for more rational approach to flight safety and reasonable freedom for their use both privately and commercially. Annual membership is $60Cdn.

If you join, you get their monthly Magazine and can keep up on stuff like regs and laws as well as. You get a physical copy and a digital copy is available on-line.
Full disclosure I help run the Sarnia Chapter "Flight 7". We have monthly meetings and other fly-in events as well as workshops and dinners all year. I work with some guys in Ottawa who are just now rolling out a UAV outreach program for 2017. You learn a lot about aviation by just hanging around or flying with other pilots. . . COPA had a booth at the International UAV Conference in Toronto last month and this year there are going to be more UAV/Drone events with COPA participation. Not just for guys either, women encouraged too.

By the way, what are you paying annually for that insurance? Thanks!

iPhone 6S

I have $2M . . way overkill for normal use but the city here requires that much for ALL city contractors. It was over $1000cdn as a commercially incorporated company and is only PLPD.
Transport Canada only requires $100K . . . at the time I was interested in going after industrial work at the refineries here in Sarnia . . so I just bit the bullet and paid. I'm reassessing it for this year.

oh yea . . AND I had to name the city . . ON the policy . . as "co-Insured" . . everyone is way over the top on drones

Last edited:
Reactions: niclariv
I have $2M . . way overkill for normal use but the city here requires that much for ALL city contractors. It was over $1000cdn as a commercially incorporated company and is only PLPD.
Transport Canada only requires $100K . . . at the time I was interested in going after industrial work at the refineries here in Sarnia . . so I just bit the bullet and paid. I'm reassessing it for this year.

Thanks, I'll check it out and see what they charge for $100,000

iPhone 6S

I agree. We need to be well informed if we want legislators to not over react and eventually ban the hobby all together. I hope that through this and other forums we create a culture of respect and safety for all.

I have done lots of reading since I started in this hobby a few months ago. Here is what I apply.

Under 400 feet
Away from populated areas and outside airport zones
Read local rules when travelling. Many sites on the Web

Best
Sg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using MavicPilots mobile app

StGr,

In Canada it is 300 feet. 3nm from built up areas (cities and towns). 30m away from any buildings or where people congregate. 5nm from registered airports or registered water aerodromes, 3nm from heliports or non-registered aerodromes.

These are just snipits from an email I got reference a question I had. Also keep in mind the discussions above about insurance, ect do not apply to recreational users. In our case our "drones" are classified as model aircraft and not UAVs.

Hello fellow Canadian drone pilots! I thought I'd take a second to post some links to the various governmental and club rules / regulations / safety websites and resources.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are NOT a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you MUST acquire a SFOC from Transport Canada before flying in Canada. Huge fines ($25,000) if you don't comply. Just letting you know.

National Parks of Canada Aircraft Access Regulations

No drone zones - Transport Canada

Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Advisory Circular (AC) No. 600-002 - Transport Canada

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada

Drone Safety - Transport Canada

Canadian Aviation Regulations

http://www.skymotionvideo.com/regulations/

Happy safe flying!!

--Atomicbear

Hello fellow Canadian drone pilots! I thought I'd take a second to post some links to the various governmental and club rules / regulations / safety websites and resources.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are NOT a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you MUST acquire a SFOC from Transport Canada before flying in Canada. Huge fines ($25,000) if you don't comply. Just letting you know.

National Parks of Canada Aircraft Access Regulations

No drone zones - Transport Canada

Advisory Circular (AC) No. 600-002 - Transport Canada

Model Aeronautics Association of Canada

Drone Safety - Transport Canada

Canadian Aviation Regulations

What to know about drone regulations in Canada | SkyMotion Video

Happy safe flying!!

--Atomicbear
Nice collection of links AtomicBear . . . thanks for posting. If anyone has specific comments or questions about UAVs/drone operations . . . stuff you don't like or want in the new regs when they come out this summer . . . the please send them to me at [email protected]. I am now acting as SME (Subject Matter Expert) for UAVs for COPA (Canadian Owners and Pilot's Association) and I'd be happy to bring them to the attention of COPA National and Transport Canada. COPA is actively encouraging drone pilots to join the organization and make the aviation industry safer and more diverse . . . they recognize that individual pilots need a voice and they are anxious to help integrate recreational and small commercial drones into general aviation to benefit everyone.

I'll do whatever I can to make our voices heard . . Dave Cooke

Nice collection of links AtomicBear . . . thanks for posting. If anyone has specific comments or questions about UAVs/drone operations . . . stuff you don't like or want in the new regs when they come out this summer . . . the please send them to me at [email protected]. I am now acting as SME (Subject Matter Expert) for UAVs for COPA (Canadian Owners and Pilot's Association) and I'd be happy to bring them to the attention of COPA National and Transport Canada. COPA is actively encouraging drone pilots to join the organization and make the aviation industry safer and more diverse . . . they recognize that individual pilots need a voice and they are anxious to help integrate recreational and small commercial drones into general aviation to benefit everyone.

I'll do whatever I can to make our voices heard . . Dave Cooke

That's GREAT Dave! Thank you! Expect an email or 10 from me in the near future! [emoji16]. I have some ideas.

-Aromicbear (Chris in BC)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Looking forward to hearing from you or anyone else interested in making the system more useful to all. You can check my website here under "Drone Conversations" and the menu DRONE ISSUES for some of the issues I'm already working on.

I recognize they are purposefully vague on what the actual LAWS are for recreational users - this should be clearly clarified with links to the laws.
The park service is clearest about this - but even then it is take-off and landing.

I have common sense when I fly, but I think it's important for the actual laws to be clear.

Hello

I've been tracking this post and reading in some of the links are here but still I'm not very clear, hope you can help me

I live in Alberta, and only want to use my drone for personal purpose , no work or research..

-Do I need to have insurance ?
- do I need to apply for the exemptions to fly ?

Thanks in advance

Hello

I've been tracking this post and reading in some of the links are here but still I'm not very clear, hope you can help me

I live in Alberta, and only want to use my drone for personal purpose , no work or research..

-Do I need to have insurance ?
- do I need to apply for the exemptions to fly ?

Thanks in advance

Currently (as far as I can tell based on my research) there is no CURRENT requirement for insurance. This may be changed this year...
(from an article in Global News):
License and registration
Transport Canada is considering requiring drone pilots to demonstrate knowledge of piloting and airspace, licensing pilots, registering drones and requiring insurance – all depending on how you want to use your drone and the type of equipment you’re using.

Generally speaking, McCrorie said, the bigger your drone is and the more complex your flight path (including whether you’re near an airport or an urban area) the more requirements you’ll have to meet in order to fly it legally.

The department is also considering giving police officers the power to pursue people who operate drones unsafely.

It’s a balancing act, McCrorie said.

“Under the Aeronautics Act we have a mandate to promote aviation, and UAVs are fun. They’re also a tremendous economic opportunity for people. We’re seeing a lot of tremendous economic growth in this sector,” he said.

“We don’t want to limit that but we want to make sure it’s done safely. So it’s really about taking a balanced approach.”

Here are some other regulations (current) to be aware of:

4.0 MODEL AIRCRAFT
4.1. General
  1. Model aircraft are excluded from the vast majority of Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) that are applied to other aircraft. However, for a large model aircraft with a maximum take-off weight of over 35 kg (77 lbs), you require a special flight operations certificate (SFOC) to operate as described in section 5.0 below.
  2. If your aircraft has a maximum take-off weight of less than 35 kg (77 lbs) and is used for purposes other than recreation, it is not considered a model aircraft. It is a UAV system and again is subject to section 5.0 and requires an SFOC.
  3. You should use your model aircraft for recreational purposes only (e.g. hobby and personal enjoyment). If you are using it for other purposes (i.e. flight training, inspection or academia purposes, etc), section 5.0 below is applicable as is the requirement for an SFOC.
  4. For model aircraft weighing less than 35 kg (77 lbs) and used for recreational purposes, the best practices in section 4.2 below provides guidance for the safe operation of your model aircraft.
  5. The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) represents 12,000 members and is the preeminent national body for model aviation in Canada. The MAAC supports and promotes recreational and competitive model flying, both locally and internationally and works with all levels of government.
  6. The regulations regarding model aircraft are clear:
    1. No person shall fly a model aircraft or a kite or launch a model rocket or a rocket of a type used in a fireworks display into cloud or in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety (Canadian Aviation Regulations, Section 602.45).

Also, read here:

You (currently) don't have to apply for a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate) UNLESS you're taking off or landing in a National Park or wanting to fly in a restricted area (near airports, cities, etc.)

Hope this helps a bit.

--Atomicbear

Hopefully laws will remain limited for hobbyists however that will depend on the user base. Society is already subject to a myriad of laws because there is always one person who stands up and says "Hey, there wasn't a law against what I did". When in fact chances are good there were already a number of laws or at least common courtesy that their actions ran afoul of. In order to make things simple legislators like to make things black and white (and hard to read!).

As for drones, I forsee a lot of laws and local ordinances cropping up to combat the type of person I mentioned above. You know, the person that flies their drone outside someone elses window, buzzes a crowd of people, disturbs the peace, and otherwise is a pest at best and a threat at worst to others.

Last edited:
Currently (as far as I can tell based on my research) there is no CURRENT requirement for insurance. This may be changed this year...
(from an article in Global News):
License and registration
Transport Canada is considering requiring drone pilots to demonstrate knowledge of piloting and airspace, licensing pilots, registering drones and requiring insurance – all depending on how you want to use your drone and the type of equipment you’re using.

Generally speaking, McCrorie said, the bigger your drone is and the more complex your flight path (including whether you’re near an airport or an urban area) the more requirements you’ll have to meet in order to fly it legally.

The department is also considering giving police officers the power to pursue people who operate drones unsafely.

It’s a balancing act, McCrorie said.

“Under the Aeronautics Act we have a mandate to promote aviation, and UAVs are fun. They’re also a tremendous economic opportunity for people. We’re seeing a lot of tremendous economic growth in this sector,” he said.

“We don’t want to limit that but we want to make sure it’s done safely. So it’s really about taking a balanced approach.”

Here are some other regulations (current) to be aware of:

4.0 MODEL AIRCRAFT
4.1. General
  1. Model aircraft are excluded from the vast majority of Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) that are applied to other aircraft. However, for a large model aircraft with a maximum take-off weight of over 35 kg (77 lbs), you require a special flight operations certificate (SFOC) to operate as described in section 5.0 below.
  2. If your aircraft has a maximum take-off weight of less than 35 kg (77 lbs) and is used for purposes other than recreation, it is not considered a model aircraft. It is a UAV system and again is subject to section 5.0 and requires an SFOC.
  3. You should use your model aircraft for recreational purposes only (e.g. hobby and personal enjoyment). If you are using it for other purposes (i.e. flight training, inspection or academia purposes, etc), section 5.0 below is applicable as is the requirement for an SFOC.
  4. For model aircraft weighing less than 35 kg (77 lbs) and used for recreational purposes, the best practices in section 4.2 below provides guidance for the safe operation of your model aircraft.
  5. The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) represents 12,000 members and is the preeminent national body for model aviation in Canada. The MAAC supports and promotes recreational and competitive model flying, both locally and internationally and works with all levels of government.
  6. The regulations regarding model aircraft are clear:
    1. No person shall fly a model aircraft or a kite or launch a model rocket or a rocket of a type used in a fireworks display into cloud or in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety (Canadian Aviation Regulations, Section 602.45).

Also, read here:

You (currently) don't have to apply for a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate) UNLESS you're taking off or landing in a National Park or wanting to fly in a restricted area (near airports, cities, etc.)

Hope this helps a bit.

--Atomicbear

Thanks for all the information, very helpful

Also I was reading that some provincial parks will have their own laws about flying drones, for example I live in canmore and they are not very Clear yet whether you can fly or not...

Need to keep updating

Thanks one more time

For what it's worth, as a recreational flyer, you can join MAAC (Model Aeronautics Association of Canada) for $80/year and get covered by their insurance. The COPA insurance that cookedinlh mentions further up is this thread appears to be for commercial flyers. On that note, COPA does have a good resource for recreational flyers here: http://www.copanational.org/files/UAV_Recreational.pdf (which cookedinlh probably had some involvement in writing).

As to the question of provincial parks, that's a great question. Couple of quick google searches didn't show anything substantive. There is this page that looks into the laws to some degree, but in short it seems that it's not very clear or definitive.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121