DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't manually start motors

Reactions
Hi all was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with not being able to manually start the motors.. I had no issues until recently when for no apparent reason I was unable to take off with the sticks only from the app on my phone.. was working great for a month of flying up until about 4 days ago.. would really appreciate any ideas... Thanks

so you can do the app based takeoff just not the pulling joysticks to the bottom corners(this is how I take off almost always too).? Try wiping the app and re-installing? Otherwise sounds like your sticks need calibration. I had to do this with a Yuneec, not sure how to do it on the mavic.

Reactions: Randy
so you can do the app based takeoff just not the pulling joysticks to the bottom corners(this is how I take off almost always too).? Try wiping the app and re-installing? Otherwise sounds like your sticks need calibration. I had to do this with a Yuneec, not sure how to do it on the mavic.

Unfortunately I have tried all of that(few times actually) and nothing seems to work.. I can take off from the app itself but I would really prefer manually starting my motors for take off. Other than that everything is great

Yea mate tried that to.. I'm thinking I might just have to jump on the assistant 2 app on a laptop and do a factory reset and reinstall firmware??

Did anyone figure this out?
The APP does not allow a manual start from within the app without taking off.
I'd like to be able to do this too

Well not only won't my motors start but I tried the DJI assistant 2 app on my laptop and it keeps connecting and disconnecting back and forth.... Grrrrr starting to really frustrate me...

Well not only won't my motors start but I tried the DJI assistant 2 app on my laptop and it keeps connecting and disconnecting back and forth.... Grrrrr starting to really frustrate me...
The connecting and disconnecting issue is due to a problem with the Windows drivers DJI provided for their DJI Assistant 2 and DJI Flight Simulator software. The drivers aren't properly "signed" and by default Windows refuses to install the drivers when you install the software.

The solution is to manually install the drivers. Rather than try to explain the process myself, I'll point you to the YouTube video that solved the problem for me. The video refers to DJI Flight Simulator, but his solution should also solve the problem for you.

Making Mavic Air RC work EASILY with DJI Simulator & DJI Assistant 2 - NEW version

Larry

Did anyone figure this out?
The APP does not allow a manual start from within the app without taking off.
I'd like to be able to do this too

The app has never allowed you to start the motors without also taking off.

i know i'm bringing back an old thread, but i am experiencing the same issue. i hold the sticks down and out, or down and in, and the motors don't kick on. but i can take-off from the app. landing isn't an issue, and this is the only issue i'm having with the remote.

Reactions: TopgunB
i know i'm bringing back an old thread, but i am experiencing the same issue. i hold the sticks down and out, or down and in, and the motors don't kick on. but i can take-off from the app. landing isn't an issue, and this is the only issue i'm having with the remote.

Have you tried (re) calibrating the controller? Maybe it's out of calibration and isn't properly detecting when you move the sticks to the extreme limits to start the motors. You can calibrate the remote (while the drone is powered off) via the menu in DJI Go4.

Have you tried (re) calibrating the controller? Maybe it's out of calibration and isn't properly detecting when you move the sticks to the extreme limits to start the motors. You can calibrate the remote (while the drone is powered off) via the menu in DJI Go4.

just tried recalibration a couple of times yesterday, but i get the same result.

I have the exact same issue. Have deleted and re-installed the phone app, checked for all up dates. Made sure not in beginner mode, linked and unlinked Mavic Air. Tried to re-calibrate the controller while the drone is off. It won't re-calibrate just sticks in "move the sticks in all directions". I m sure it must be related to that but as yet have not come up with a solution! In fact I was able to re-calibrate the controller but the problem remains!

Last edited:
So I finally fixed my manual start problem. I downloaded the Mavic Air Dji assistant to my Windows computer connected the drone and did a factory reset and re-installed firmware. That did not work. I connected the controller to the assistant on my Windows computer but no matter what I did it would not pick up the controller. Windows 10 driver issues I am told. I have an Apple Mac as well so I downloaded the Dji app there connected the controller tried to do a factory reset but it would not. I did a firmware DOWNGRADE and voila it worked. Not yet happy I redid the controller firmware upgrade and manual starting still worked. Just a note when you manually start, you need to push both controllers fully down and inwards so that they make a 135 degrees from North. The manual says you can push them down and in or down and out. Only down and in worked for me. Pushing them straight down does not work!

Correct, just down doesn't work. Must be down AND in or down AND out, like the manual says.

Although you can also use left down for more than a few seconds after having landed, right untouched. When the AC sees it can't decend any further, it assumes it has reached ground. That's usually safest for power down. CSC after landing for power down might cause tip over. At least that's a possibility with a P3.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis