DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Car charger is faster than normal charger?

as long as the CV charging current is still above the 'original' CC current, the CV is also faster.
Yeah but that phase during which you're in CV but at a higher current is pretty short and barely sifgificant over the total charge cycle.

Can you elaborate on this?
Advanced charging hub + Phantom 4 charger.

Forget CC and CV, the charging circuit is in the battery. If the supply can supply the proper voltage and enough current the battery will charge faster safely to the limit set internal to the battery. Like USB, I assume the battery and the charger (basically a power supply) hand shakes on what current the charger can supply and this appears to be adjusted for input voltage.

Forget CC and CV, the charging circuit is in the battery.
It is not. It's a simple BMS that does balancing, overvoltage and undervoltage protection, and battery gauge. But not charge regulation.

I assume the battery and the charger (basically a power supply) hand shakes on what current the charger can supply and this appears to be adjusted for input voltage.
They do not, there is no data communication between both, and no the charger is not just a power supply, it's a CV-CC current-limited power supply.

That has been analyzed, shown and rehashed hundreds of times since DJI came up with their smart batteries 2+ years ago with the I1, but somehow people with no clue continuously insist on refuting it.

It is not. It's a simple BMS that does balancing, overvoltage and undervoltage protection, and battery gauge. But not charge regulation.

They do not, there is no data communication between both, and no the charger is not just a power supply, it's a CV-CC current-limited power supply.

That has been analyzed, shown and rehashed hundreds of times since DJI came up with their smart batteries 2+ years ago with the I1, but somehow people with no clue continuously insist on refuting it.

Not about to take mine apart, and I agree my post is an assumption, but then what would be the point of battery firmware updates if all the smarts are in the charger and the Mavic. A little overkill for 4 green LEDs and auto discharge.

Wasn't faster in my trial. I couldn't get the Mavic battery to charge beyond about 12.8 volts in 2 hours - that's least 0.2 V below a full charge.

My problem is that I couldn't get the 12V plugs in my Chevy Volt to output more than 12.9 V with the car turned on, even if I had the car plugged into its charge station.

I think I need at least 13.05V at the plug to get it to work right.

Forgive for thinking it's funny that a Chevy Volt is too low on volts!

Reactions: kika and dmyers7
Does anyone know if the car charger actually charges the Mavic batteries faster than the normal charger?

f3HScFltD4IV84SmIeJvgRe_DUvlQW2zMxa303R38W5tEvnlOG-MOY-hIfeKX49thGkF5nMPCJs=w1302-h976-no-tmp.jpg

Normal charger output: 13.05V 3.83A = ~50W
Car charger output: 13.05V 6A = ~80W

I have a DC 24V psu for my revolectrix powerlab 8 - technically it's possible to cut the cigarette power adapter and solder let's say an XT60, then use the car charger in the house as a faster (and smaller) charger (and still retain the use of a cigarette lighter adapter by having an XT60 soldered on the cigarette lighter adapter wire end).

My electrical knowledge says it's doable, does anyone have any idea if it's actually *advisable*?

Isn't CW that a slow charge is better for the batteries than a fast charge?

Bought one of the 3rd party ones off Amazon and it works great and doesn't require the car engine running. DJI car charger moved to the shelf. And the charging circuit is definitely in the battery, not the wall or car charging unit which just delivers a constant voltage at up to 6A for the 3rd party car charger.

What gives? My dji mobile charger is painfully slow. Approx 1hr gets the battery 25 percent charged. Faulty charger?

Every experience I've had shows the car charger is MUCH faster.....assuming your car is putting out sufficient voltage and amperage at the plug.
If the voltage is too low (either by using a limited plug or your vehicle not putting out enough voltage) you either get no charge or only minimal charge when the voltage happens to be high enough.
Amperage is a limit of how much power you can push at once. The charger can handle up to 9amps, but if you plug it into a plug limited to 1amp, 1amp is all you're ever going to get.....and charging will be VERY slow, no matter what.
My car actually has multiple plugs at different points. The ones up front are wired to run at max amps and voltage being put out by the car, but the ones in the center console and back seat all have amperage and voltage limitations to keep from frying electronics that aren't smart enough to regulate themselves.

What gives? My dji mobile charger is painfully slow. Approx 1hr gets the battery 25 percent charged. Faulty charger?

Firstly the car has to be running.. the car battery doesn't put out sufficient voltage for the charger.

Secondly, even with the engine running, some cars still don't put out enough voltage because of all the fuel efficiency ******** they put in cars these days, the alternator doesn't even run all the time anymore. Sometimes you can force it to run by turning on the headlights or something. Best thing to do is get a cheap voltage gauge that plugs into your cig lighter socket so you know what you're getting. And can try a view things like turning on the headlights, or the rear window demister... to force the alternator to start charging.

LED Car Auto Battery Electric Cigarette Lighter Plug Voltmeter voltage gauge | eBay

Then your mavic car charger will work once it's getting its required voltage.

I did find the recharge faster but I did not time it. The real problem was I had to have the car on as the changer has a "save the battery" feature and a fully charged 12 volt battery is not enough voltage to charge the batteries. A car charger that does not charge the battery unless the car is running. Now that as a 4:20 design if ever I saw one!

Now I know why my "car charger" doesn't work so well at my cabin. My storage batteries rarely get above 13-volts even with the wind-charger and/or solar panels running full tilt.

Has anyone tried to run the regular 110-volt charger from an inverter? I'm wondering how that charger would tolerate the modified square-wave voltage that the inverter puts out.

Has anyone tried to run the regular 110-volt charger from an inverter? I'm wondering how that charger would tolerate the modified square-wave voltage that the inverter puts out.

I tried it with two modified square wave inverters and the charger doesn't work with them. I now use an inexpensive pure sine 300W Bestek inverter and it works.

Yes a lot of modern vehicles now have so called ‘smart charging’ systems where batteries can be between normal and half usable charge.
I 4wd a lot and many others with these systems have problems with 2nd battery fitting etc
But you can usually get that system turned off by a dealer and be like a normally charged vehicle battery again, would make maybe a fraction of a % difference in fuel economy.

And yes, I use 18v work tools and car charger is noticeably faster that 240v for that too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929