DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Car charger

These loaders perform roll of the cells ?? I would believe that for the price they do not do it which I understand is very harmful for the batteries.

These loaders perform roll of the cells ?? I would believe that for the price they do not do it which I understand is very harmful for the batteries.
To my knowledge, the original charger only supplies a constant voltage of 13.2 V to the battery and the charge controller inside the battery ensures correct charging.

To my knowledge, the original charger only supplies a constant voltage of 13.2 V to the battery and the charge controller inside the battery ensures correct charging.
Exactly. The brains are in the battery - not the charger.

Current regulation/limitning is NOT done in the battery and is expected to be done in the supply. Balancing yes.

Reactions: Qoncussion
after an unfortunate mishap with a compromised cell on an old P3 battery I had using a car charger that almost burned my car to a crisp, I dont use car chargers anymore. I use a high quality power inverter and use the original home chargers. Another advantage of this is that I can use one inverter with any of my 7 drones I chose to take with me on any given day.

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
Current regulation/limitning is NOT done in the battery and is expected to be done in the supply. Balancing yes.

Can I ask where you got that info from?
The Air batteries are similar to the Pro and Phantom batteries. That's why they're called intelligent batteries and why they cost way more.... They require a fixed voltage, but control the charging and initiate the discharging; not the charger. So a simple, stable volatge supply should be all you need to charge them up.

Ian

Measurements. Done them on all previous DJI intelligent batteries, so no reason for the Air's to be different.
But you can even work it out from specs... The Mavic charger charges at 3.8A, but the car charger charges at 6.1A. If it was the battery doing the limitation that would not be possible.

Exactly. The brains are in the battery - not the charger.

Question - Are you thinking that either of the two chargers should work? I use the "blue one" and a clamp to battery inverter.
With car manufacturers skimping on wire gauge to save weight I don't trust the wiring harness to the cigarette lighter. I don't want an over-heating problem or fire in the car.

Hard for me to say if that cigarette lighter version would work. That looks like a lot of load on whatever gauge wire the car manufacturer used for the lighter. I put a power inverter in my car, running a dedicated 4ga wire directly from the car battery to the 1100w inverter. I use the same charger as the one linked to in post #2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman