DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Catching instead of landing

Berf

Reactions
I've been hand catching my Air2S when launching from a Pontoon boat, and I'm having a hard time shutting the drone down. Nothing like holding a pissed off drone in one hand and trying to fumble with both of the controller sticks with the other hand. Is there a better way to shut the drone down when hand catching on a boat? I only have so many hands and fingers.

I've been hand catching my Air2S when launching from a Pontoon boat, and I'm having a hard time shutting the drone down. Nothing like holding a pissed off drone in one hand and trying to fumble with both of the controller sticks with the other hand. Is there a better way to shut the drone down when hand catching on a boat? I only have so many hands and fingers.
I'm not sure what method you're using but you're supposed to place your hand underneath the drone, pull down on the left stick (for me, not sure what configuration you have), and essentially, have the drone land on your hand, keep holding down even after the drone makes contact with your hand. What often happens is that the down stick isn't held down long enough and the drone tries to take off again. This leads to the catcher holding down the drone while the drone struggles to lift. Follow the above method, and it should be fine.

I'm not sure what method you're using but you're supposed to place your hand underneath the drone, pull down on the left stick (for me, not sure what configuration you have), and essentially, have the drone land on your hand, keep holding down even after the drone makes contact with your hand. What often happens is that the down stick isn't held down long enough and the drone tries to take off again. This leads to the catcher holding down the drone while the drone struggles to lift. Follow the above method, and it should be fine.
That is the method i use, but have seen posts where operators turn the drone on its side or invert to stop the drone.
regards

That is the method i use, but have seen posts where operators turn the drone on its side or invert to stop the drone.
regards
I've seen that also and tried them, but it never worked for me. It only made the drone rage and try to right itself.

If the problem is simply not having enough arms, a lanyard, as suggested above, is a great help.
But it may be that the problem stems from your hand moving enough to make the drone think it is still flying.
If that is the cause there are 3 solutions that I know of,
1) Hold you hand still, this is likely to be a problem on a boat.
2) Before you actually land switch the response to the CSC-stick-position to "Anytime" or whatever the name is for you, this is the alternative to the default. Once the drone is in your hand put the sticks in the CSC position and hold them there. The motors will probably shut down in under 2 seconds.
BE WARNED this is dangerous for the drone and you could accidentally stop the motors in mid air and send the drone for a swim.
DO NOT forget to switch the response back to the default.
3) Once the drone is in your hand, twist your wrist/arm so that the props are in a vertical plane, this is likely to stop the motors but may strain the arms and bearings. I would not recommend that this becomes your routine method of stopping the motors if you hand catch on land etc..

All have their draw back, I would be inclined to use them in the order of preference 1, 3, 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Berf,
I installed two lanyards on my controller and Apple mini 4, one on the front side and on on the back side. While donning both lanyards, my platform is solid and level, and basically have a hands free operation. Then I can use my right hand to catch my drone, and then use left hand to hold left stick until Motors stop. I can keep both eyes 👀 on my drone during landing. I either touch the auto land button or hold stick down.
B52-D
Blue Skys & Happy Contrails ➰

Reactions: tlswift58
I used to hand catch, till i saw the last part of this, where he talks about the whip around if a motor fails. Unfortunately, no blood, sorry.

Make sure your hand is directly underneath the sensors so the drone can realize it is trying to land. I’ve had the same problem 2 or 3 time and flipping the drone upside down will automatically kill the motors. Try and land it regularly by catching but flipping it is always an alternative.

I'm not sure about the Air2S but my Platinum and M2P are hand caught about 98% of the time (if not more). I "land" in my open hand and once the aircraft touches my hand I grasp it fully (in the very center to avoid the props as they do "nick" the skin slightly if you're off mark), quickly roll the aircraft over onto it's back/side and the motors immediately come to a stop. 1x in the last 3 years this "motor kill" did not work and I ended up "fighting" the drone for a moment until I could get to the CSC with one hand LOL. To this day I have no idea why the "flip over" did not kill the motors . . .

I don't have any ideas to the good ones above, but I'm catching my new Air 2S the same way as my Mini 2. Flat hand, left stick all the way down, grasp the drone as it touches my hand, drop my hand slowly as the motors shut down. So far, that has worked great for me. I also hand launch with no issues.

Reactions: tlswift58
Great topic. I tried hand catching my Spark and while ago and promptly whipped the top of my index finger off (nearly-nasty gash) when I turned it sideway/partially inverted it, my fault entirely as I left the finger trailing inadvertently. I had managed it once or twice before successfully but not sure it works for an MA2s. Sure I’ve seen a slick YTube or two where the presenters skilfully hand catch their MA2, which I have, so it must be possible. Happy experimentation.

One "down" stick needs to be used when hand catching. Depending on how big the boat is and open area to land the drone on the boat - you can go that route - moving or not - but you'd need to be good if moving.

I land my Air2 often on boulders and such when waterfalling with few issues. Finding a decent flat spot is the trick; but very doable in Cine mode. Light stick is critical as well. May have to drop the canopy if you have a big one to land on the boat.

It just takes full back stick but there are times when for some reason the drone doesn't shut down and you have to rotate it. Both of those maneuvers can be practiced over and over without connection so they become almost automatic.
I know landing on a boat is far more difficult than on dry land. On land I lower the drone to about chest high and then walk up to it a couple of steps so that I'm always in balance. I really don't like reaching out or up for the drone because you are very liable to end up with a poor grasp of the drone. As mentioned by others always flic it over to cine for the final approach.

I know a lot do it, but hand catching will eventually catch up to you. If you can land on your hand, why can't you land on the pontoon boat?

I can't land in my hand or on the boat. Boat is moving in the water and wind is blowing it. Best I can do is get the drone close enough to the boat to be able to reach up and grab the bottom of it. No way could I land it in my hand or on the boat, too much movement from boat and wind, waves, etc. My controller requires me to do a CSC command bringing BOTH sticks down and inward at the same time to shut motors off in-flight. Trying to hold the drone in one hand and do a multiple stick command in the other is pretty tough.

It's hard enough just to get the drone close enough to the boat, it senses the obsticle and tries to avoid it about half the time, and then it senses the boat and refuses to go any lower, I think the water reflections are also messing up it's sensing. Meanwhile, the wind has moved the boat another 5 feet in one direction or another.

Last edited:
I know a lot do it, but hand catching will eventually catch up to you. If you can land on your hand, why can't you land on the pontoon boat?

Have you tried it? Hand Landing (merely getting it to your hand) is actually really easy on land.... bouncing bobbing boat that's a whole other story...

I find it easy to lower to just below eye level (have it quartering away from you), slide hand under it as it slowly descends and just let it settle into my waiting hand. Remember your hand is able to "move/adjust" to inaccuracies where-as a landing pad.... well the pad usually just sits there.

It's hard enough just to get the drone close enough to the boat, it senses the obsticle and tries to avoid it about half the time, a
If possible, switch the obstacle avoidance off before approaching the boat.
Trying to hold the drone in one hand and do a multiple stick command in the other is pretty tough.
Lanyard, as suggested, it is a third hand.

If none of the suggestions in the thread take your fancy then don't fly from the boat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee