DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Category 1 OPP compliant drone - but WHY is it compliant

ariburling

Reactions
For category 1 operations the mavic air is .55- but once the rotor guard go on it it exceeds to weight restriction for cat 1. What here is really the issue for what would make a drone compliant for OPP if one adds the tiny weight of prop guards?

Mavic Air does *not* weigh less than .55Lb/249g, the DJI specs have it at .95Lb/430g.

Sadly, a Cat 1 OOP drone is difficult to impossible to configure even starting with something like a Mini, Mini 2, or Mini 3. Today’s extremely narrow window will close even more when RID requirements come fully into effect for all Pt. 107 operations in September.

Reactions: bitsbytes
Mavic Air does *not* weigh less than .55Lb/249g, the DJI specs have it at .95Lb/430g.

Sadly, a Cat 1 OOP drone is difficult to impossible to configure even starting with something like a Mini, Mini 2, or Mini 3. Today’s extremely narrow window will close even more when RID requirements come fully into effect for all Pt. 107 operations in September.
Yes, but to be clear (for me) with a 107 cert you can fly the Minis with prop guards all day long OOP... correct? Or does it have to be sub-250g?

Yes, but to be clear (for me) with a 107 cert you can fly the Minis with prop guards all day long OOP... correct? Or does it have to be sub-250g?
Cat 1 is sub-250g, props must not lacerate the skin.
To add prop guards to a Mini means taking off weight so the total is still <250.
All 107 drones must be registered.
All drones which must be registered must be RID compliant on Sept. 16.
From the limited information we’ve received from DJI the Mini and Mini 2 won’t receive RID firmware updates.
This means adding a Broadcast Module… adding more weight.

Unless the Mini 2 gets RID, or the Mini 3 gets lightweight batteries there doesn’t seem to be a way to get a Cat 1 drone with a useful camera after Sept. 16.

To add prop guards to a Mini means taking off weight so the total is still <250.
From the limited information we’ve received from DJI the Mini and Mini 2 won’t receive RID firmware updates.

Unless the Mini 2 gets RID, or the Mini 3 gets lightweight batteries there doesn’t seem to be a way to get a Cat 1 drone with a useful camera after Sept. 16.
So this would be okay... It comes with prop guards, not shown...

Screenshot_20230801_082228_Chrome.jpg

😁

Reactions: SethB

You can get cinewhoops with O3 Air Units under 250g. I haven't weighed it, but my GEPRC Cinelog20 should come in around 220g with a battery. I've seen some RID units at 25g, so it can be done...just seems unlikely to happen in camera drones. But I would think that DJI could build some sort of Mini/Avata hybrid that gives up some battery/power to shave off some grams and easily come in under 250g with prop guards.

Reactions: SethB
You can get cinewhoops with O3 Air Units under 250g. I haven't weighed it, but my GEPRC Cinelog20 should come in around 220g with a battery. I've seen some RID units at 25g, so it can be done...just seems unlikely to happen in camera drones. But I would think that DJI could build…
I very much agree that DJI or another manufacturer *could* make this. Is there a substantial enough market is the big question. I started a thread a couple years ago asking who was interested in such a drone- not many! This was before the OOP provisions went live, if I recall.
Operations Over People - What would you do (if you could)?
With the upcoming RID requirement my ultralight Mini 2 with Japan-market batteries will no longer conform. One would need to ultralight a Mini 3

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4