DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Collision avoidance failure - covered by guarantee?

Bromart

Reactions
Problem? Camera gimbal and propellers broken

Was unit in a crash? Yes

What have you tried so far? Gimbal is not workind, nothing to do about that.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Honor 7 lite

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Mavic Pro, latest firmware

What Go app version are you using? DJI GO 4

Any modification?
No

Did you change anything or install any apps? No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? No.

What I want to know is if the Mavic Pro guarantee covers a crash caused by the collision avoidance not protecting the drone from crashing. I descended the drone and it hit a tree, without any warning. I'm about to send it to be repaired but if the guarantee won't cover the damage, it would be wiser to turn to my home insurance company instead.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-06-09_[12-19-42].txt
    16.6 KB · Views: 3
I think you'll find that DJI don't "guarantee" that the collision avoidance system will ensure you'll NEVER collide with something, it just tries to assist the pilot. We, as pilots, must take the responsibility for flying in such a way that we avoid hitting something. When we do, in most cases, it is down to pilot error!

Reactions: genesimmons
There is no such thing as a "guarantee" from DJI. They do offer a warranty.

What is Covered
Under this Limited Warranty, DJI warrants that each DJI product that you purchase will be free from material and workmanship defects under normal use in accordance with DJI’s published product materials during the warranty period. DJI’s published product materials include...

What This After-Sales Policy Does NOT Cover
This policy does not cover the following:
× Crashes or fire damage caused by non-manufacturing factors, including but not limited to, pilot errors.

I think you will find that the collision avoidance system is not a guarantee that you won't hit anything.

Sorry for my bad english, warranty is what I meant.
I have found many times that the collision avoidance doesn't detect narrow objects like wires or thin tree branches.
Would you say then, that if the drone hits a tree below which is not visible to the pilot, it's still a pilot error?
Because if it is, then it's no point sending it to be repaired under warranty.

I would say yes to pilot error. You need to be aware of your surroundings when you fly and not fly too close to objects where possible.
Depending on whether you have DJI Care Refresh and where you live. You can always look for a repairer locally that can do it for cheaper. If you have DJI Care Refresh, it's might be cheaper, depending on the extent of the damage.

Sorry for your crash. If DJI won't repair it under their warranty (they won't) contact @Thunderdrones here for fast, reliable, affordable repairs.

Regarding your question:
As I've said many times before: The sensors are called "OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE" , NOT "CRASH-PREVENTERS".

The sensors are there to POSSIBLY help keep you from running into something. There is absolutely NO guarantee that they will perform the way we wished they would. They might save you from crashing about 1 out of 100 times, if the circumstances are just right.

I know the DJI videos make OA look like "magic" : "Keeps you from crashing!" .... but that's called marketing. They show the very best case scenarios. Sorry if you drank the Kool-Aid.

The OA sensors are only in the front, only face forward, do not work in Sport mode, are confused by sunlight and/or reflections, do not detect small obstacles, etc.

When you turn on "Cruise-Control" in your car, you're still responsible if you run into something. There is nothing "controlled" in your cruise. Honda will not be responsible.

Would you say then, that if the drone hits a tree below which is not visible to the pilot, it's still a pilot error?
Yes, that is definitely pilot error. If you don't already have DJI Care Refresh, it would be something to consider for the future (since it covers damage caused by pilot error).

Sorry for my bad english, warranty is what I meant.
I have found many times that the collision avoidance doesn't detect narrow objects like wires or thin tree branches.
Yes - 100%!!

It would be pilot error. If the drone is not working you may want to send it into DJI. I'd say that there is a 1% chance that they would repair it under warranty. What you will probably find is that they either offer a good repair price or they might offer a discount off a new drone.

Apart from the broken propellers (which are not expensive to replace) the only thing that is malfunctioning is the gimbal.
When I turn the drone and RC on, the camera turns some 45 degrees up and then immediately down (a bit backwards). When this happens, the application says: "gimbal motor overload. check that the gimbal clamp is removed". Apparently the clamp is what prevents the gimbal's movement. If so, it is removed.

The camera and it's controls are working apart from the tilt control, obviously. There are no physical signs of damage in the gimbal. Could this be a result of some dust in the gimbal joints or something like that?

Naturally, as small as this defect may be, the drone is useless like this.

u can try to calibrate the gimbal, its in the setting of the app, sometimes that will refresh it and come back to iife, i had the gimbal overload as i dunked my mav in water and the gimbal calibration seemed to help

u can try to calibrate the gimbal, its in the setting of the app, sometimes that will refresh it and come back to iife, i had the gimbal overload as i dunked my mav in water and the gimbal calibration seemed to help

Thanks for this hint. I tried this several times but it failed. The camera keeps going up and down. There are also the options "recenter gimbal" and "gimbal yaw recenter" but these don't seem to be active...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54