DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Connection to controller lost out of the blue

gingerweb

Reactions
This happened today when the MP was about 300m away over the sea it was flying fine and had been through 2 batteries without any issue when suddenly it lost the controller, it was as though it had all frozen as the image on the phone was frozen too, the message top left on the app was i think "controller connection lost" totally different to signal loss when the MP returns to home it just sat there out at sea!

Fortunately i could see it and it still flew home as i guess it was controllable. i landed it and then restarted the controller and it connected and flew again (briefly) with no issue.

If this should happen again is it advisable to restart the controller while the MP is flying (especially if i cant see it to fly it home) or what is the best thing to do? Could there be a fault or does this just happen? i am into about my 20th flight i suppose so very newbie!

I think i have got the right flight log from the phone if that would be any help?

thanks

First, define "controller". Is it the remote controller or the phone/tablet running Go 4?

...Fortunately i could see it and it still flew home as i guess it was controllable. i landed it and then restarted the controller and it connected and flew again (briefly) with no issue...
If it lost connection with the RC, RTH will kick in and start the return to home. In this state you will have no control unless connection is re-established as it gets closer to the RC. I am guessing this is what happened because you can't land it without a connection to the RC.
...If this should happen again is it advisable to restart the controller while the MP is flying (especially if i cant see it to fly it home) or what is the best thing to do? ...
If your RC is disconnected it will cause no harm to turn it off and back on again but it might re-establish connection on its own. The best thing to do is insure that RTH is set properly, you have good GPS reception, and the home point has been set before you fly. Then, do not panic. Check the display on the RC. If it shows telemetry you are still connected and in control. If not connected, it will display CONNECTING. The AC should start RTH after a few seconds of disconnect and as it rises higher (if below RTH height) and gets closer the connection is often re-established. After connection you can just continue to fly.
...Could there be a fault or does this just happen?...
It is not uncommon to lose connection but normally at longer distances than 300m "over sea", assuming there were no obstacles between the RC and AC and the antennas are positioned correctly. Trees can scatter/absorb signals and cause disconnect at shorter distances. I doubt there is a fault with the equipment and it is more likely there was some local interference causing the disconnect. Of course, if this happens frequently in multiple locations, you could have a problem but since this is one time out of 20 flights it is probably okay.

Reactions: gingerweb
This happened today when the MP was about 300m away over the sea it was flying fine and had been through 2 batteries without any issue when suddenly it lost the controller, it was as though it had all frozen as the image on the phone was frozen too, the message top left on the app was i think "controller connection lost" totally different to signal loss when the MP returns to home it just sat there out at sea!

Fortunately i could see it and it still flew home as i guess it was controllable. i landed it and then restarted the controller and it connected and flew again (briefly) with no issue.

If this should happen again is it advisable to restart the controller while the MP is flying (especially if i cant see it to fly it home) or what is the best thing to do? Could there be a fault or does this just happen? i am into about my 20th flight i suppose so very newbie!

I think i have got the right flight log from the phone if that would be any help?

thanks

From your description the aircraft did not lose connection with the controller, but rather the DJI GO app crashed or lost connection with the controller. That's why (a) it didn't RTH and (b) you still had control.

Fully agree with @sar104 above. From the sound of it, the controller was always in full contact with the craft. Other than that we would need more details on exactly what was going on with the tablet and Go app. Had you just rebooted the tablet and checked the USB cable connection on both ends, you probably would have regained the connection. No reboot of controller needed, or advised in this case.

Also if you could not see the craft. all you would need to do is manually initiate RTH from the controller and it would have come right back to you.

Fully agree with @sar104 above. From the sound of it, the controller was always in full contact with the craft. Other than that we would need more details on exactly what was going on with the tablet and Go app. Had you just rebooted the tablet and checked the USB cable connection on both ends, you probably would have regained the connection. No reboot of controller needed, or advised in this case.

Also if you could not see the craft. all you would need to do is manually initiate RTH from the controller and it would have come right back to you.
So let's say the RC did lose connection with the AC, then, as I understand it, wouldn't the AC RTH automatically? Then, if the AC is RTH automatically, wouldn't manually initiating RTH on the RC cancel the Auto RTH?

Reactions: PhantomFandom
So let's say the RC did lose connection with the AC, then, as I understand it, wouldn't the AC RTH automatically? Then, if the AC is RTH automatically, wouldn't manually initiating RTH on the RC cancel the Auto RTH?

Yes that is correct. If the connection is lost between controller and craft for 3 seconds then the craft will initiate the lost signal RTH procedure. That may be return to home point or other option you personally set (like hover in place) in the Go4 app.

Yes you could potentially cancel the RTH when signal is restored in many ways actually. Pressing the RTH button or the pause button are just two. However at that point you have signal and control again so you should know what's going on. The important thing as RPIC is to have situational awareness, remain calm, and think about what is going on.

If you’re unsure, and have enough battery, you can hit pause on the controller while you restart the app on your phone. This will cause the aircraft to hover in place until you select another option .

Last edited:
Bit late but I have a question about the term "disconnect".

I understand "disconnect" when the RC and the phone / tablet no longer communicate for whatever reason. Pause, RTH or fly it back

I understand "disconnect" when the RC and AC no longer communicate. After the requisite time the AC starts it's RTH. ASSUMING hover isn't selected and the RTH height is good and the obstacle avoidance is on and. . .

I understand ATTI, (mode) the AC & RC still have connection and the OP can fly it home if he/she has the ability.

What other "disconnect's" are there?

I lost connection twice yesterday while flying. I was sending MP for its longest mission to date and it did disconnect at about 1000 feet away. The RTH was set and was delighted to see it did what it was supposed to do.

My search today is to find out if it's possible to restart the controller and recover the flight mission or just do what I did and let it RTH?

For the record, where I was flying was populated with many trees and private residences. Lot's of interference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying