DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller Range

HassoBoxhead

Reactions
I’ve had my MA2 for a week now and have flown it mostly in my neighborhood until today. I finally took it out in the country to get some longer range flights. Problem is, at 350ft altitude I was consistently losing RC connection at just over 2600 feet. Very rural area (large farms) and no direct interference. Shouldn’t I be getting longer range than that?

Reactions: PedroHN
Something is wrong for sure . They were boasting a stronger signal with Oc-2.0

I fly over water just about all the time and at 1300mtr I lose signal and the screen starts to go jumpy ....I would have thought that the signal would have beeen heaps better as it is direct LOS and no obsructions althought i can see it.. I have seen youtube of a guys I think in china flies over 11km straight out over a city with extended battery pack..

I’ve had my MA2 for a week now and have flown it mostly in my neighborhood until today. I finally took it out in the country to get some longer range flights. Problem is, at 350ft altitude I was consistently losing RC connection at just over 2600 feet. Very rural area (large farms) and no direct interference. Shouldn’t I be getting longer range than that?
When you say losing signal what d you mean..is the drone position indicator going red or is the screen breaking up.. I have a suspicion that the cable is critical. I often get red position cases and if i "wriggle" the lead it comes good. I am getting a few new cables to try them out

Reactions: Photodonn
Drone position indicator goes red, lost signal/connection comes up. Very frustrating.

sounds like my issues... i go from full bars to zero in a instant...this leads me to think it is a cable issue...
I have found that if i turn the lightning 180* and have "pressure" on it , it seems better. will report back when the new cables arrive
it is very frustrating

I fly over water just about all the time and at 1300mtr I lose signal and the screen starts to go jumpy ....I would have thought that the signal would have beeen heaps better as it is direct LOS and no obsructions althought i can see it.. I have seen youtube of a guys I think in china flies over 11km straight out over a city with extended battery pack..
He admitted in the comments that he was using a customised modified antenna on the right side.

He admitted in the comments that he was using a customised modified antenna on the right side.
ok i missed that point, however with a clear unobstructed line, ie over water, what range should we be able to achieve with the MA2? I would like to have at least 5-6km so i can tape the boats pounding the seas.
I can see a watery grave in my ,hopefully distant future..?

Would start dropping bars at 1200ft around 200 elevation. Flying at 400 feet I can only get out to 3500ft before total signal loss and black screen.

ok i missed that point, however with a clear unobstructed line, ie over water, what range should we be able to achieve with the MA2? I would like to have at least 5-6km so i can tape the boats pounding the seas.
I can see a watery grave in my ,hopefully distant future..?
Based on your profile location of Bali, 5-6km may be too much to expect for CE compliant transmission levels. Unless you go with ios + fcc hack.

A 6km forward trip is nigh on risky over water as it gives you no room for error re headwinds. I fear your heart pounding more than boats pounding...

Based on your profile location of Bali, 5-6km may be too much to expect for CE compliant transmission levels. Unless you go with ios + fcc hack.

A 6km forward trip is nigh on risky over water as it gives you no room for error re headwinds. I fear your heart pounding more than boats pounding...
Hi thanx for that..just to clarify I cant get back to BAli and am currently in Sydney. I launch off my front balcony and head out. Clear LOS and this it what i get.Have tried both ipad mini 5 and ipone x same thing.
I contacted DJI and showed them this video and they advised to send back the drone MA2.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi thanx for that..just to clarify I cant get back to BAli and am currently in Sydney. I launch off my front balcony and head out. Clear LOS and this it what i get.Have tried both ipad mini 5 and ipone x same thing.
I contacted DJI and showed them this video and they advised to send back the drone MA2.
In that case it’s possible you have a defective one, but as a last check have you seen if there is a major interference at your balcony? The way it works is, 2.4Ghz can go far for CE (AUS) but easily interfered by WiFi and your neighbours, but 5.8G which is difficult to interfere has a very low output strength of only 12dBm. What I’m trying to say is Occusync 2 in CE is still prone to certain regulatory constraints.

When you say losing signal what d you mean..is the drone position indicator going red or is the screen breaking up.. I have a suspicion that the cable is critical. I often get red position cases and if i "wriggle" the lead it comes good. I am getting a few new cables to try them out
I saw a Gentleman on YouTube the other day with a mavic Air 2 he said he noticed a difference on which side of the controller he puts his phone / tablet on. Apparently it says in the instructions it should be on the right side. he claimed that when he use it on the left side he did not get as much distance.

I saw a Gentleman on YouTube the other day with a mavic Air 2 he said he noticed a difference on which side of the controller he puts his phone / tablet on. Apparently it says in the instructions it should be on the right side. he claimed that when he use it on the left side he did not get as much distance.
thx i have always had the lightning on the RHS

Would start dropping bars at 1200ft around 200 elevation. Flying at 400 feet I can only get out to 3500ft before total signal loss and black screen.
I’m having the same issue. 3400ft is all I have ever been able to go before total signal loss. Has anyone had any luck contacting DJI? I’m trying to decide if I should just send everything back. Very frustrating.

Guys, the cable has absolutely nothing to do with reception. No matter how good of quality or how good it’s inserted or whatever, this has absolutely zero effect on the RF range from the rc controller to the drone.
The RF range is totally dependent on the rc controller itself. The communication to your phone via the USB cable is only reading data from the RC controller and doesn’t affect RF range.

see this video, he finds a high vantage point where he can clearly see miles out while still flying very high. This is the sort of conditions you need to reach the MA2’s claimed range:

If you’re on flat ground and you try this sort of range test, it will simply not work as shown in the video.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916