DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controlling drones with a SMART GLOVE

• Thread starter Deleted member 65595
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 65595

Some students at my university have made a smart glove that can control drones. All newer DJI drones are compatible. Really makes for an intuitive flight. I tried it myself and believe that this technology will become mainstream in a couple of years.

Must note that there are some similar gadgets on the market. But I don't think I have seen anyone so well suited for DJI drones. Even the app interface is similar to DJI's own app

I've seen (and tried) similar stuff, and also one that takes your body movements instead (aka when you lean, with the goal of freeing your hands completely)... but to me these things are nothing more than gimmicks. You lose precision and comfort and don't gain much since you can't really concentrate on doing something else at the same time anyway. Risk of mistake is very much increased as well.

I've seen (and tried) similar stuff, and also one that takes your body movements instead (aka when you lean, with the goal of freeing your hands completely)... but to me these things are nothing more than gimmicks. You lose precision and comfort and don't gain much since you can't really concentrate on doing something else at the same time anyway. Risk of mistake is very much increased as well.
That's a bit harsh. For once, you haven't tried this specific glove, which I believe is market-leading. For the ones with the body movement, I can see why it didn't work out. Hand gestures in that manner seems more natural to me. That said, you might be right that these are better suited for the hobbyist at the moment. But everything becomes better with practise

Just try to hold your hand steady in the air in front of you for 10 minutes, you'll quickly realize your whole arm starts to hurt, especially given that it'll be tensed since you know that a false movement will cause an aircraft to shoot to an undersired location.
Then you've got to concentrate on suppressing your natural reflexes of using that hand to grab something...

I'd have to agree with Kilrah. Although the tech is impressive, this is nothing I would personally be interested in using. There is nothing better suited for controlling flight than two sticks and a nice FPV screen filled with flight stats. I've been waiting over 30 years for an affordable personal jet pack. Do these kids even read Popular Mechanics? I don't need a drone-controlling mit, I need a jet pack. We should all be flying by now.

Just try to hold your hand steady in the air in front of you for 10 minutes, you'll quickly realize your whole arm starts to hurt, especially given that it'll be tensed since you know that a false movement will cause an aircraft to shoot to an undersired location.
Then you've got to concentrate on suppressing your natural reflexes of using that hand to grab something...
Don't be so pessimistic before you have tried it yourself. I flew a good 20 minutes and didn't even think of the problems you mentioned.

The point is that you can have your arm in a natural and relaxed position, there is never a need for having to keep 90 degrees or flex in any way.

However, if you are worried about these things when flying you could have a worse flying experience than with sticks. It's mainly psychological in my opinion.

Seems like people either find this product interesting or they find 100 reasons it doesn't work. In my opinion we should welcome new tech into the drone world, and if it isn't something for you, that's okay too.

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1