DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cracks, Cracks, Cracks. In the upper shell of my Mavic Air 2

Hmm wonder if getting some skins for my Air2 might actually help add a tiny bit more strength.
It will just hide the cracks so you don't know if it needs to be sent in under warranty. It won't stop anything from cracking would be my guess.

Woundt hurt,I stoped folding the legs after one year of use, just leave open and I use a seahorse case, with the sc the Mavic2pro is up and flying , I do not like hearing about cracks on the mavics, I have replaced 3-shells on the phantom 4pro.

Woundt hurt,I stoped folding the legs after one year of use, just leave open and I use a seahorse case, with the sc the Mavic2pro is up and flying , I do not like hearing about cracks on the mavics, I have replaced 3-shells on the phantom 4pro.
Sounds like you have 1st hand experience with this. So are you saying it’s the integrity of the plastic or the way the arms are opened on the AC?

Sounds like you have 1st hand experience with this. So are you saying it’s the integrity of the plastic or the way the arms are opened on the AC?
Both , plus this cables that run through that area. , after thousands of use would start to fray ,all my dji drones work great , I do think the plastic on the Mavic
Air-2 Looks different than the Mavic2pro, if it were me just leave legs open since there is a. Crack

Very sad to see,thought I would never see the new plastics crack compared to the old phantom 4pro, so I have the first Mavic and the Mavic2pro over 2 years tons of flights ,seems that darker plastic is stronger compared to the Mavic air2 lighter color ?
I have been flying my Air 2 since May without any faults appearing anywhere. Rock solid and very reliable. So far ....... ?

Reactions: hiflyer201
I've just noticed cracks on mine in the same places on the shell. Mines has had very little use and certainly no crashes. From what I've read so far, DJI always say that it is damage caused by misuse.

I got'em. In the top shell of the Mavic Air 2...

A quick background....I learned from the Autel Evo 1 to lift the AC then insert batteries.... 2 years ago. So the on the left side is not from battery installation. The right side, didnt form an opinion yet.

I'm not upset, mad, nor angry... just furious. Only kidding there..... I been in the CNC manufacturing arena for 40 years and 6 of them wonderful years I setup and ran Plastic Injection Molding Machines. I ran during the six years injection molding plus 2 years on the Blow Injection so I do have some knowledge in that field. I forgot to mention that the 6 year gig I did my own Quality Control and SPC semi old methodology. Still productive in some cases... getting back to the CRACKS. There are many reason to why the plastic cracks even if you just picked up and put down the Plastic Molded Object on a hard surface several times a day... I've seen plastic crack just from a vibration during Quality Control testing. Probably the reason for these cracks. There are plastics very sensitive to vibrations and if you throw a little more money into the pot you can mold plastic parts that would never crack due to vibration no matter how thin the part. Well no use writing a book here. I just want to let the fliers know that with no abuse to this particular drone the plastics has some tendency to CRACK....View attachment 113090View attachment 113091

UPDATE: I replaced the upper shell. Cost $18.00 ... It took 1/2 hour taking my time. I could not enjoy flying knowing the cracks were there. Pictures in post#1 has the cracks16036834209356783697005786964572.jpg
16036835178463993535883661437006.jpg

Reactions: MA2 317
This is where I placed a thin layer of epoxy glue. Placed it typical. After letting it dry I was able to feel the difference in strength. I don’t know if I should of started a new thread regarding this but maybe this thread will start up again.

Attachments

• 16039539733941955718018505452396.jpg
    16039539733941955718018505452396.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
This is where I placed a thin layer of epoxy glue. Placed it typical. After letting it dry I was able to feel the difference in strength. I don’t know if I should of started a new thread regarding this but maybe this thread will start up again.

Where did you put the glue, the picture is of a bottom shell, thought the upper shell was the problem :confused:

A trick we use with RC car body shells is dry wall tape and shoe goo or fiberglass to strengthen weak areas

That's the top shell.
Where did you put the glue, the picture is of a bottom shell, thought the upper shell was the problem :confused:

A trick we use with RC car body shells is dry wall tape and shoe goo or fiberglass to strengthen weak areas
That's the top shell. I put a drop of epoxy in the area that cracked. It is a much solid area now with the epoxy in place.

I will add my name to the list of owners whose Mavic 2 Air's have cracks.....same place as in the photos above. Cracks in the casing near two legs, no crashes or heavy landings. Posting it back to DJI soon as my Mavic 2 Air also has a poor quality lens (top right of the photo is extremely soft).

So with cracks near the two legs and the lens softness then it has to go back to DJI.

Jerry

Reactions: MA2 317
I will add my name to the list of owners whose Mavic 2 Air's have cracks.....same place as in the photos above. Cracks in the casing near two legs, no crashes or heavy landings. Posting it back to DJI soon as my Mavic 2 Air also has a poor quality lens (top right of the photo is extremely soft).

So with cracks near the two legs and the lens softness then it has to go back to DJI.

Jerry
I replaced the top shell myself. It was under $20. I watched a YouTube video and followed step-by-step. It was fairly simple to do.

This isn't great to hear. I think I've seen at least one other post with the same issue. Like you said it could be any number things that don't include abuse. Given that they likely use this same plastic in all the Mavic drones, it's probably more of a mold design or injection parameter issue (temp, pressure, etc) causing some molded in stress. I hope they get on it and fix it for people and not claim that everyone is abusing their drone. It could be a simple issue that an inserted, friction fit part for the folding arm is out of spec or designed wrong and putting too much stress on the surrounding plastic.
I have over 500 flights on my MA2 and no cracks I check it before and after flights I hope it's a bad batch or something like that I do fly in high winds in sports mode so i'm not babying her..

I have to give some advice to those who are going to change out the top shell. Before you install new shell place a (thin) layer of plastic epoxy or even just regular epoxy on the underneath wear the crack are vulnerable. I did just that and I feel the strength in those left side and right side areas. The epoxy spread out flat and it’s about 6mm in diameter.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I have emailed DJI about this and they want me to send the drone back for diagnosis and repair. I have the DJI Care Refresh. My question is should I send it back and have it repair or use the care refresh option? Has anyone had a good or bad experience with this type of issue. And no this drone has never been in a crash or in a hard landing. Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 20201130_201124.jpg
    20201130_201124.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 20201130_201450.jpg
    20201130_201450.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
You could probably put some kind of skin fix on and have no problems..but I think it should go back to DJI. They can easily look at the data and see information on the termination of the flight. If they see enough of these there are going to have to make changes.
I personally don't like the feel of the drone without the battery installed. It's far more rigid with the battery and less likely to be damaged during ground handling IMHO

Reactions: Davekrueg
It should be a warranty fix.
DJI may hem and haw that it probably cracked on an undocumented crash or rough handling.

If you're close to the end of your refresh or refresh plus period then maybe consider that, but it would cost you around $170. If you have lots of time, save it for a rainy day and pay for the repair if warranty is denied.

Reactions: Davekrueg
I would like everyone to know it’s not hard at all to remove and replace the top shell. I followed a YouTube video of how to do it. I do have some drone repair experience even if I did not have a little experience I believe I would be able to swapem out.

Attachments

• F08CF537-B13E-4BF4-B11E-3DA7D6602AF6.jpeg
    F08CF537-B13E-4BF4-B11E-3DA7D6602AF6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • CF875AB6-E2E6-45B3-A379-8212045418A0.jpeg
    CF875AB6-E2E6-45B3-A379-8212045418A0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads