DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cracks, Cracks, Cracks. In the upper shell of my Mavic Air 2

A lot of these defective ones seem to be early copies. Mine was made in December 2020 so I hope they did some kind of updating by that time...but doesn't seem likely, I guess. I've heard from time to time that you shouldn't buy the first run of a new model of whatever.

Last edited:
All posted pictures shows cracks of the shell in front arms. Not a single picture of cracks on the rear arms. The front arms acts like a legs as well. The reason could be the wrong way installing the batteries. Just think about how many times you remove and install ( that means pushing these legs) the batteries. I never install batteries with the drone placed on the surface. I just take it in my hand, support the bottom of the shell and put the battery. No legs pressure. May be this is one of the reasons. Mine drone is already year and half and for the moment there are no cracks anywhere...

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Do these cracks keep going to failure of the unit? Or are they simply cosmetic? With the skin on my MA2, I guess it's out of sight, out of mind!

I got'em. In the top shell of the Mavic Air 2...

A quick background....I learned from the Autel Evo 1 to lift the AC then insert batteries.... 2 years ago. So the on the left side is not from battery installation. The right side, didnt form an opinion yet.

I'm not upset, mad, nor angry... just furious. Only kidding there..... I been in the CNC manufacturing arena for 40 years and 6 of them wonderful years I setup and ran Plastic Injection Molding Machines. I ran during the six years injection molding plus 2 years on the Blow Injection so I do have some knowledge in that field. I forgot to mention that the 6 year gig I did my own Quality Control and SPC semi old methodology. Still productive in some cases... getting back to the CRACKS. There are many reason to why the plastic cracks even if you just picked up and put down the Plastic Molded Object on a hard surface several times a day... I've seen plastic crack just from a vibration during Quality Control testing. Probably the reason for these cracks. There are plastics very sensitive to vibrations and if you throw a little more money into the pot you can mold plastic parts that would never crack due to vibration no matter how thin the part. Well no use writing a book here. I just want to let the fliers know that with no abuse to this particular drone the plastics has some tendency to CRACK....View attachment 113090View attachment 113091
my MA2 has an almost identical crack as the photo on the left

Do these cracks keep going to failure of the unit? Or are they simply cosmetic? With the skin on my MA2, I guess it's out of sight, out of mind!
ive been monitoring my crack, it isnt spreading, i supposed should get the hull replaced

Do you guys with the cracks flip your arms out and let them bang into position? just wondering because I'm always pretty gentle folding mine out and so far I don't have cracks and I got mine on release day.

Reactions: DynoTech
Same issue, always gently with landing, batterie in/ out, folding gently, open propellers before take off…… so i don’t know why it got cracks.

Attachments

• 57ED2C72-7689-49AE-A8A0-D2FBB2D0AB99.jpeg
    57ED2C72-7689-49AE-A8A0-D2FBB2D0AB99.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • ADA818CF-0E1E-4AFE-ABB6-8AD333E1BBC8.jpeg
    ADA818CF-0E1E-4AFE-ABB6-8AD333E1BBC8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
A drop of super glue gel into the cracks may limit creep. But I'd complain to DJI about it. Seems like a warranty issue.

Good Morning,

Like most others reporting cracked upper covers, I have been very carefully handling my MA2 for the last three years, with no crash or hard landings. This past week, the dreaded cracks have shown up on both sides (very small on the left side), forward and above of the front leg opening. What I have come to realize is that when the leg is in the flight position (extended) it comes in hard contact with the upper cover. I do not think the cover is designed to take this load, which should rest on the inner stop/structure.

To reduce this load on the upper cover I trimmed it with a 'Dremmel' tool, insuring a gap now exists as shown on the picture below. I will keep a close eye on these cracks before every flight to make sure my theory is proven.
Fly Safe, AlwaysThumbswayup

1692544765638.png
1692544812686.png

1692544853258.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett