DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cracks, Cracks, Cracks. In the upper shell of my Mavic Air 2

silverdragon

Reactions
I got'em. In the top shell of the Mavic Air 2...

A quick background....I learned from the Autel Evo 1 to lift the AC then insert batteries.... 2 years ago. So the on the left side is not from battery installation. The right side, didnt form an opinion yet.

I'm not upset, mad, nor angry... just furious. Only kidding there..... I been in the CNC manufacturing arena for 40 years and 6 of them wonderful years I setup and ran Plastic Injection Molding Machines. I ran during the six years injection molding plus 2 years on the Blow Injection so I do have some knowledge in that field. I forgot to mention that the 6 year gig I did my own Quality Control and SPC semi old methodology. Still productive in some cases... getting back to the CRACKS. There are many reason to why the plastic cracks even if you just picked up and put down the Plastic Molded Object on a hard surface several times a day... I've seen plastic crack just from a vibration during Quality Control testing. Probably the reason for these cracks. There are plastics very sensitive to vibrations and if you throw a little more money into the pot you can mold plastic parts that would never crack due to vibration no matter how thin the part. Well no use writing a book here. I just want to let the fliers know that with no abuse to this particular drone the plastics has some tendency to CRACK....16002099859301973184162034906849.jpg1600210021883973557253560340783.jpg

Last edited:
Never saw any of these types of cracks on the 1st gen DJI compact drones, I notice the build quality is a bit lower with the MM and MA2.
They just don't seem to be as well made as before, the plastic moulding looks cheaper, I guess they are using lighter less durable materials to reduce weight and improve performance

This isn't great to hear. I think I've seen at least one other post with the same issue. Like you said it could be any number things that don't include abuse. Given that they likely use this same plastic in all the Mavic drones, it's probably more of a mold design or injection parameter issue (temp, pressure, etc) causing some molded in stress. I hope they get on it and fix it for people and not claim that everyone is abusing their drone. It could be a simple issue that an inserted, friction fit part for the folding arm is out of spec or designed wrong and putting too much stress on the surrounding plastic.

Other reports :

I see so you can tell by how they feel. Interesting. Can you describe the difference in the feeling?

What could have caused several crafts having similar "scratches" at the same position which happens to be a stress point ? I have not mentioned it but DJI replaced the shell free of charge in the last case.

How long after purchase did these cracks appear? If DJI repairs, then great, but if past the warranty period or DJI refuses to do anything about it, I'd be tempted to CAREFULLY stop-drill those cracks.

What could have caused several crafts having similar "scratches" at the same position which happens to be a stress point ? I have not mentioned it but DJI replaced the shell free of charge in the last case.
Good point that makes sense.
I gave my M2P a once over with the opti-visor - nothing like that at all. The M2P shell is pretty solid.

Reactions: Hank Fink
I see so you can tell by how they feel. Interesting. Can you describe the difference in the feeling?
A scratch would be on the surface of the shell material and a crack would be much deeper due to the material separating. Therefore running your finger over a crack you’d feel the separation. Also, not sure what would cause random scratches on stress points on several different aircraft and not be longer than a few centimeters

That is why its very important to have some sort of Check list. My preflight check list includes Check for cracks in the body. The other thing I check is Battery swelling/outer damage to the battery. Anybody tried super glue on some of cracks posted here? Have not got a crack in my hull, just asking.

I got'em. In the top shell of the Mavic Air 2...

A quick background....I learned from the Autel Evo 1 to lift the AC then insert batteries.... 2 years ago. So the on the left side is not from battery installation. The right side, didnt form an opinion yet.

I'm not upset, mad, nor angry... just furious. Only kidding there..... I been in the CNC manufacturing arena for 40 years and 6 of them wonderful years I setup and ran Plastic Injection Molding Machines. I ran during the six years injection molding plus 2 years on the Blow Injection so I do have some knowledge in that field. I forgot to mention that the 6 year gig I did my own Quality Control and SPC semi old methodology. Still productive in some cases... getting back to the CRACKS. There are many reason to why the plastic cracks even if you just picked up and put down the Plastic Molded Object on a hard surface several times a day... I've seen plastic crack just from a vibration during Quality Control testing. Probably the reason for these cracks. There are plastics very sensitive to vibrations and if you throw a little more money into the pot you can mold plastic parts that would never crack due to vibration no matter how thin the part. Well no use writing a book here. I just want to let the fliers know that with no abuse to this particular drone the plastics has some tendency to CRACK....View attachment 113090View attachment 113091
So, with your experience in that field, what would you recommend if a pilot finds a crack after owning a drone for years. Super Glue?

That is why its very important to have some sort of Check list. My preflight check list includes Check for cracks in the body. The other thing I check is Battery swelling/outer damage to the battery. Anybody tried super glue on some of cracks posted here? Have not got a crack in my hull, just asking.
I would use a penetrating super glue, also. Or a high grade two part clear epoxy. But if in warranty and not caused by a heavy landing, send it back.

Reactions: Hank Fink
Very sad to see,thought I would never see the new plastics crack compared to the old phantom 4pro, so I have the first Mavic and the Mavic2pro over 2 years tons of flights ,seems that darker plastic is stronger compared to the Mavic air2 lighter color ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121