DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Criminal Drone Operators caught - Updated - NOT GUILTY!

If we all want to be seen as "responsible" UAV pilots, who are not prone to kneejerk behaviour, but people who consider and act with responsibility then we also need to be a bit careful about acting like a "lynch mob" towards those who were taken into custody by the Sussex Police. The presumption of being innocent until proven guilty is a maxim the law must abide by. Equally though, both media and forums such as this should also follow those same presumptions. That way, when the politicians try to use an event such as has happened at Gatwick to enact more draconian law, they are only going to see in us reason and responsibility.
I for one, don't have a problem being licenced or indeed flying my UAVs with some sort of transponder attached. Rogue operators, will always be rogue operators, but at least with a licencing system (which I believe Denmark already has), those who are going about their hobby or business of flying and aerial photography are much less likely to be tarred with the same brush!

It's hard to underestimate the harm the Gatwick Drone criminals have caused to the hobby. Not to mention intentionally disrupting hundreds of flights over a 36 hour period and shutting down a busy airport. Wow. I seriously hope they toss this pair into a wood chipper made of thousands of carbon fiber drone blades. If this doesn't get drones totally banned I don't know what will.

2 arrested in Gatwick Airport drone disruptions | CBC News
Only problem is what happened to "Innocent until put on trial and proven guilty?" The arrested pair after investigation have been released by police without charge. Knee jerk reactions to finding them guilty without trial is as bad as those who condemn all drone fliers as being criminals or Peeping Toms, or so some media outlets seem to want to encourage members of the public to think.

They arrested a man and wife and questioned them for 36 hours. The man was working out of the area when the drones were supposedly flying. His boss tried to tell the police, but he was ignored. They were released, but not before being demonized by the press.

Now the police say it's possible that there were no drones. There are no photographs. There were no official sightings. They just got calls from people who claimed they saw drones.

The whole incident might have been a false alarm.

The investigation continues.

Gatwick cops admit there may NEVER have been a drone attack on the airport

Piers Morgan apologises after branding Gatwick drone couple 'terrorist clowns'

They arrested a man and wife and questioned them for 36 hours. The man was working out of the area when the drones were supposedly flying. His boss tried to tell the police, but he was ignored. They were released, but not before being demonized by the press.

Now the police say it's possible that there were no drones. There are no photographs. There were no official sightings. They just got calls from people who claimed they saw drones.

The whole incident might have been a false alarm.

The investigation continues.

Gatwick cops admit there may NEVER have been a drone attack on the airport

Piers Morgan apologises after branding Gatwick drone couple 'terrorist clowns'

just read the same thing.

the arrested couple will now have a great windfall from the false accusations

Reactions: deleted member 877
It’s the Wild West. It has always been this way on new frontiers, always.

I suspect most people who fly a UAV (drones are military craft) do it for a thrill without any purpose in mind and would likely be happier flying a decent flight sim on a 3D map providing essential realism.

Right now it’s a fad, everyone buying the latest cool thing, flying to discover what it’s like, shooting the same footage, asking the same questions, dreaming the same dreams…..all buzzing about marketing hyped technology. Eventually it will simmer down to 60% of current users leaving the hobby for another fix somewhere else.

Regulations are a must, it’s just too bad regulators are so far behind and feeling the need to be authoritative and mean in catching up, with idiot press pumping everything full of misleading hot air.

Manufacturers knew what was coming and how this was going to unfold……still they raced to get the first and biggest buck instead of doing the right thing, imo. And the right thing would have been to consult with regulators prior to release. But again, this is the wild west and is the way it usually unfurls.

The big manufacturing risk for new products is to hopefully sell enough product to cover start-up costs with enough left over to survive and grow. A big push is most often the preferred way to launch, and as stated earlier we are living in UAV wild west where money feeds the engine, not common sense.

After a few hobbyists are charged, sentenced and heavily fined or end up with significant jail time sobriety will carry the day…..hopefully not at the expense of anyone’s life.

I've thought the same. Still believe it should be a requirement.

I live in New York State, and many years ago I was a falconer. To become one, you had to take a test, which was given twice a year. You had to get at least 80% on it. You had to have a sponsor who was a master falconer, have a mews with guidelines to keep the bird, have it inspected and approved.it showed you had to have desire, perseverance, and excepted responsibility. It kept out of the sport any moron who just wanted to walk into a bar with a hawk on his shoulder. I’m not saying it needs to be that extreme, but I could live with them making it a bit harder to fly a drone if it would keep irresponsible people out of it. Just my two cents....

I live in New York State, and many years ago I was a falconer. To become one, you had to take a test, which was given twice a year. You had to get at least 80% on it.
... . It kept out of the sport any moron who just wanted to walk into a bar with a hawk on his shoulder.
If someone just wanted to walk into a bar with a hawk on his shoulder, it wouldn't have done anything to prevent that.

I’m not saying it needs to be that extreme, but I could live with them making it a bit harder to fly a drone if it would keep irresponsible people out of it. Just my two cents....
Just like driver's licensing tests and rules prevents anyone from driving unlicensed?

Reactions: W2EJ
I'm an adult and I use drones and smoke a Juul.
The drone has me endeavoring into a new exciting hobby, photography. And the JUUL has me healthy and free of cigarettes.
I'm an adult and act accordingly with positive life encouraging results with both these examples, however, others elect to abuse these tools.
Drones, Juuls, cars, alcohol, Education, money, etc, can all be abused. Even skateboarding, apparently. Lol
Quit sweating that these "morons" will ruin it.
Technology can't be stopped.

Name one FUN thing that was outlawed in the last 50 years that was as mainstreamed as flying a drone is now. Can't do it.
I dare you.

Be careful not expose any character flaws trying to answer me...

Don't say, "Lawn Darts!"

Reactions: NAVMAV
The drone has me endeavoring into a new exciting hobby, photography. And the JUUL has me healthy and free of cigarettes.
I'm an adult and act accordingly with positive life encouraging results with both these examples, however, others elect to abuse these tools.
Drones, Juuls, cars, alcohol, Education, money, etc, can all be abused. Even skateboarding, apparently. Lol

Name one FUN thing that was outlawed in the last 50 years that was as mainstreamed as flying a drone is now. Can't do it.
I dare you.

Don't say, "Lawn Darts!"

I don't think there are are many who believe that drones will be outlawed but I think it's likely that much heavier restrictions will be imposed for recreational drone flights. It may very well reach the point where all operators of drones (that are not lightweight toys with limited range) will have to pass theory and practical exams in order to be granted a licence to legally fly their UAVs.

Last edited:
To kind of answer your question, unlicensed gun ownership was outlawed in my country in 1996 - there has not been a mass shooting here since that time. And folks, please don't debate the topic of "gun ownership" in this thread.
And unlicensed driving has been illegal in my country for a very long time .. but it still happens all the time.
There are quite a few other factors involved in the example you used. It's not really an appropriate comparison.

I don't think there are are many who believe that drones will be outlawed but I think it's likely that much heavier restrictions will be imposed for recreational drone flights. It may very well reach the point where all operators of drones (that are not lightweight toys with limited range) will have to pass theory and practical exams in order to be granted a licence to legally fly their UAVs.

To kind of answer your question, unlicensed gun ownership was outlawed in my country in 1996 - there has not been a mass shooting here since that time. And folks, please don't debate the topic of "gun ownership" in this thread.

But there have been many mass murders since then. It's not the device that is evil, it's the person using it. Just like this drone incident. You opened the topic, not us.

But there have been many mass murders since then. It's not the device that is evil, it's the person using it. Just like this drone incident. You opened the topic, not us.

I was simply attempting to answer the question posed by OJaskila. I repeat - unlicensed gun ownership was outlawed in my country in 1996 - there has NOT been a mass shooting HERE (IN AUSTRALIA) since that time. BTW that is not my opinion - it is an historical fact. I politely asked that this topic not be debated here but you just couldn't help yourself could you?

The nature of your post contravenes the forum guidelines. I'll involve the moderators if need be.

I was simply attempting to answer the question posed by OJaskila. I repeat - unlicensed gun ownership was outlawed in my country in 1996 - there has NOT been a mass shooting HERE (IN AUSTRALIA) since that time. BTW that is not my opinion - it is an historical fact. I politely asked that this topic not be debated here but you just couldn't help yourself could you?

The nature of your post contravenes the forum guidelines. I'll involve the moderators if need be.
C'mon man YOU mentioned guns. Are you the only one allowed to? Relax. And I agree, let's not go there, but I did not go there...

I dare you.

Don't say, "Lawn Darts!"
Thought 'Juul' was new word for pot, had to use my google machine.

C'mon man YOU mentioned guns. Are you the only one allowed to? Relax. And I agree, let's not go there, but I did not go there...

OK fine - I did mention guns but obviously not in a way as to encourage debate. I even went to the trouble of specifically asking people to desist from doing so. What more can I do? Please, can we drop the "guns" topic now before the moderator locks the thread? I apologise for bringing it up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk